Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The road to Austrian school

rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 112
Points 2,025
Anton replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 1:21 PM

John James:

I was lucky enough to find the Mises Institute and the great works of our time quite early on in my journey, so that I didn't have to end up asking myself "why didn't I find out about this sooner"...thanks to the wonders of Google, YouTube, Wikipedia, and Mises.org  (Although, I actually did end up asking myself that question...as I'm sure everyone else agrees these things should be taught from an early age...as opposed to one having to seek them out on his own).

Fully agree. I would add that besides economics there is another thing that should be taught as soon as possible: logic. Now, reading Elementary lessons in logic, I blame myself for not studying it back in school, as I began to realize how stupid it is to teach mathematics  and do not even explain basic rules of logic. 

An excerpt from the Preface:

IN preparing these Lessons I have attempted to show that Logic, even in its traditional form, can be made a highly useful subject of study, and a powerful means of mental exercise. \Vith this view I have avoided the use of superfluous technical terms, and have abstained from entering into questions of a purely speculative or metaphysical character. For the puerile illustrations too often found in works on Logic I have generally substituted exalnples drawn from the distinct objects and ideas treated in the natural and experimental sciences; and in this and other respects have aimed at rendering these Lessons a suitable companion to a series of science schoolbooks.

Logic is not only an exact science, but is the most simple and elementary of all sciences; it ought therefore undoubtedly to find some place in every course of education. The relations of propositions and the forms of argument present as precise a subject of instruction and as vigorous an exercise of thought, as the properties of geometrical figures, or the rules of Algebra. Yet every school-boy is made to learn mathematical problems which he will never employ in after life, and is left in total ignorance o£ those simple principles and forms of reasoning whichwill' enter into the thoughts of every hour. . Logic should· no longer be considered an elegant and learned accomplishment; it should take its place as an indispensable study for every well-informed person.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 470
tckb909 replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 3:09 PM

Someone mentioned Tom Leykis. Funny, I sort of found libertarianism and AE because I was listening to Tom Leykis. I first remember him being against all the bail outs during the financial crises that was going on at the time, and that impressed me. He also told a caller that accused him of being a liberal that he was "not a liberal, but a Libertarian, you know, the stuff conservatives claim to believe in but really don't"...and that really impressed me...So I went home and typed libertarian into youtube search and began watching Milton Friedman then it led to Ron Paul which led to me reading his books and being interested in Austrian Economics. Looking back, Tom Leykis was very moderately libertarian, if at all maybe(?)...But it sure got me started, sense I always knew I didn't quite fit in the main stream -Left-Right- spectrum and disliked politicians..Libertarianism came very natural.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

interest in the shitty education system => Ron Paul => Milton Friedman => mises.org

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

Curious about housing bubble > found Ron Paul video predicting it > Austrian Economics

Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS