Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What monetary and trade policy should the United States pursue with China?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
58 Posts
Points 2,060
tcostel posted on Mon, Mar 7 2011 1:33 AM

...and China with the US? And why? Many argue more protectionist policies, but that seems to go against the free market. What would an austrian argue?

All Replies

Not Ranked
Male
99 Posts
Points 1,465

Both should eliminate all trade barriers, but even if one remains protectionist, the other should still remove all trade barriers. You can't lose by trade freedom. Protectionism hurts every nation, to the benefit of very specific industries, and national pride.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Points 1,240

In many ways China is harming itself more than America, its citizens are getting less money than they should be, while Americans are enjoying standards of living that I personally believe do not match the  productivity.I suspect that most people here will argue that it is not governments role to be conducting trade policies in the first place. I am no CCP fan, but that is no excuse to block trade with the Chinese, because like in most protectionist cases, the losers are the average citizens not the government.

The question I prefer is: "Should America be pursuing a trade/policy with China, or should businesses/individual be left to decide on how they trade with others".

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
58 Posts
Points 2,060

but even if one remains protectionist, the other should still remove all trade barriers.

Why? How could the country still benefit without compliance with the other? (I am playing some devil's advocate here)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Let's say you are good at making shoes, but bad at making socks. You offer to sell your quality shoes to the Chinese. They refuse, insisting that you buy their socks and not be allowed to sell them your shoes.

So you have two options now: Either you keep wearing your own crummy socks, to spite the Chinese somehow, or you buy their superior quality cheaper socks, even though they won't buy your shoes.

Which is the wiser option?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 100 Contributor
814 Posts
Points 16,290

Protectionism is good for the citizens of the country that doesn't have protectionist policies, because they get to get inexpensive goods from a protectionist country that has a manufacturing surplus. 

Not Ranked
Male
58 Posts
Points 2,060

Can anyone reply to this argument?

http://mises.org/daily/1420

Basically, he is arguing that free trade will only be successful if the factors of production are immobile which would allow comparative advantage to reign. He argues that absolute advantage reigns more today because the factors of production are more mobile than before. How would an austiran or libertarian reply to such arguments?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
907 Posts
Points 14,795

because the factors of production are more mobile than before

Last time I checked, land is as immobile as ever. This is an important factor for agriculture, mining, and energy industries (and many more).

The other factors are capital and labor. Moving capital is not the same as wiring gazillions of fiat money units from country A to B. Capital is real machines, production lines, factories, warehouses, trucks. Yeah, we can transport all of these easier than before, just not exactly free.

Regarding moving labor - when was the last time you relocated across the globe because the salary was 10% higher? Sure, there are telecommuting options available for some professions, but again - a complete fluidity of labor (even assuming away the governmental hurdles) is nowhere at sight.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 500 Contributor
285 Posts
Points 4,140
Suggested by Andris Birkmanis

tcostel:
Can anyone reply to this argument?

http://mises.org/daily/1420

Basically, he is arguing that free trade will only be successful if the factors of production are immobile which would allow comparative advantage to reign. He argues that absolute advantage reigns more today because the factors of production are more mobile than before. How would an austiran or libertarian reply to such arguments?

Robert Murphy has responded to Paul Craig Roberts' article:

http://mises.org/daily/1429

http://mises.org/article.aspx?control=1416

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Think Blue

TY for the links

My humble blog

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

I found that Mises deals with this in Human Action. The reading and thinking skills needed to grasp it are not the kind one gets by viewing sitcoms. So settle back and bite into this:

In comparing the conditions of two
countries we must say: If conditions are such that in England the production
of 1 unit of each of the two commodities a and b requires the expenditure
of 1 working day of the same kind of labor, while in India with the same
investment of capital for a 2 days and for b 3 days are required, and if capital
goods and a and b are freely movable from England to India and vice versa,
while there is no mobility of labor, wage rates in India in the production of
a must tend to be 50 percent, and in the production of b 331/3 per cent, of
the English rates. If the English rate is 6 shillings, the rates in India would
be the equivalent of 3 shillings in the production of a and the equivalent of
2 shillings in the production of b. Such a discrepancy in the remuneration of
labor of the same kind cannot last if there is mobility of labor on the domestic
Indian labor market. Workers would shift from the production of b into the
production of a; their migration would tend to lower the remuneration in the
a industry and to raise it in the b industry. Finally Indian wage rates would
be equal in both industries. The production of a would tend to expand and
to supplant English competition. On the other hand the production of b
would become unprofitable in India and would have to be discontinued,
while it would expand in England.

Translation: He assumes exactly what the article is worried about, that factors of production, but not labor, can move freely from country to country. He then shows how free trade still benefits both countries.

My humble blog

Not Ranked
Male
58 Posts
Points 2,060

Thanks everyone for the responses. My belief in free trade has only been fortified because I can cast aside another doubt.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS