Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The great depression - Sweden and Britain

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 135
nofx posted on Sun, Apr 24 2011 10:00 AM

Just heard the argument that Sweden and Britain recovered from the great depression before USA. And the argument was that they were more interventionalistic and they went off the gold standard earlier. I would like some comments on this as I cant seem to find any articles on this subject.

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Apr 24 2011 10:21 AM

Okay so just a quick disclaimer I do not know much about the history of either of these places however I think I have at least a workable answer.

Going off of the gold standard might have helped Britain, as it was basically already in a slump before the great depression because the pound was hopelessly overvalued. As for Sweden, it was in many ways riding off of the back of Germany. As Germany went into its war boom exports to Germany from Sweden skyrocketed. Also, who cares when they went off the gold standard? The U.S went off in 1933....

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
32 Posts
Points 610
Johannes replied on Sun, Apr 24 2011 12:35 PM

Hm, interesting. If i remember correctly, public expenditure barely reached 15 percent of GDP throughout the 30s, whereas it reached above 20 percent in US (http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/us_20th_century_chart.html). Then, of course, these numbers are probably not 100% correct.

Swedens forsake of the gold standard 1931 also led to a pretty heavy devaluation, wich helped increased the export very much, maybe that could cause a chimera recovery? "Devaluation is like peeing in your pants - it warms good in the beginning, but then it gets unpleasant".

Writing from Sweden. Please, be indulgent to any language errors. :) My blog: http://societyofsweden.wordpress.com/
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
297 Posts
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Sun, Apr 24 2011 1:01 PM

Hm, interesting. If i remember correctly, public expenditure barely reached 15 percent of GDP throughout the 30s, whereas it reached above 20 percent in US (http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/us_20th_century_chart.html). Then, of course, these numbers are probably not 100% correct.

The Keynesian response would be that unemployment of resources was worse in the United States than it was in Europe.  Do you have any information on what unemployment was in Sweden during the 30's?  I know the worst it got in America was somewhere around 25%.  These are official government statistics of course.

Swedens forsake of the gold standard 1931 also led to a pretty heavy devaluation, wich helped increased the export very much, maybe that could cause a chimera recovery?

I don't see how devaluation can cause a recovery.  As on economist put it, "Devaluation is the exportation of purchasing power", and I think that's very true.  The Swedish government was essentially subsidizing exports at the expense of domestic industries of Sweden, who's operating costs would rise as the krona would now purchase less on the international market.  Devaluation will also lead to a rise in domestic prices as demand for goods and services in the devaluating country increases and industry becomes more export-oriented.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

"I don't see how devaluation can cause a recovery."

Devaluation leads to an effective decrease in wages and therefore it can instigate a bizarre type of recovery by imitating the readjustment period where wages decrease and the economy is brought back to full employment.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Male
266 Posts
Points 4,465

I will give you more information but here is a hugely important one:

The U.S. experienced a 1920's boom of 43% real GDP growth

The U.K. experienced 1920's stagnation, experiencing 15% real GDP growth.

So the U.S. had further to fall.

Not Ranked
Male
32 Posts
Points 610

(Can't figure out how the quote-function works...)

The Keynesian response would be that unemployment of resources was worse in the United States than it was in Europe.  Do you have any information on what unemployment was in Sweden during the 30's?  I know the worst it got in America was somewhere around 25%.  These are official government statistics of course.

The largest unemployment rate in modern history for Sweden is 25%, wich the country reached in the depression of early 1920. Throughout the 20's we had an unemployment rate of about 10-12%. It then increased about 10 percentage during The Great Depression, to slightly over 20%, 22% at the top one or two months maybe. This is according to the national accounts wich are used in the history classes here, and again, this kind of old data isn't super-reliable.

I don't see how devaluation can cause a recovery.  As on economist put it, "Devaluation is the exportation of purchasing power", and I think that's very true.  The Swedish government was essentially subsidizing exports at the expense of domestic industries of Sweden, who's operating costs would rise as the krona would now purchase less on the international market.  Devaluation will also lead to a rise in domestic prices as demand for goods and services in the devaluating country increases and industry becomes more export-oriented.

I guess you're right. But in the short run, maybe it can seem like a recovery, even if it's false, due to the rais in "aggregate demand"? And  it also might undermine the labour costs for businesses because the wages don't adjust for inflation that quick.

Maybe it would be valuable to look att the structur of the economy as well, for example the primary sector of GDP. From what I have understand the people dependent on the primary sector got hit the most.

Writing from Sweden. Please, be indulgent to any language errors. :) My blog: http://societyofsweden.wordpress.com/
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 135
nofx replied on Sun, Apr 24 2011 7:24 PM

Furthermore. The argument is that Sweden was the first nation to fully recover from the great depression in 1934 since it followed the path of deficit spending. And I read that the New Deal was inspired by the successfull policies from Sweden!

Not Ranked
Male
32 Posts
Points 610

Swedens deficit where only slightly above 1% of GDP throughout the whole 30's I think (hard to find data). According to the following documents, http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2007/pdf/hist.pdf, US had a deficit about 4,0% -32 and 6,9% -36.

As far I know, the swedish minister of finance during the Great Depression were inspired by Keynes and Karl Marx, at least Wigforrs (minister of finance 1932 and further - he was mainly a marxist theorist. 1930 were the times when social engineering started in Sweden and gradually grew to a living hell... Economic freedom was no longer a mean of wealth creation, and the disrespect for economic liberty also took root in the disrespect for the "social" liberty. The socialdemocrats started forced sterilization on the people 1934.

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

nofx:
Just heard the argument that Sweden and Britain recovered from the great depression before USA. And the argument was that they were more interventionalistic and they went off the gold standard earlier. I would like some comments on this as I cant seem to find any articles on this subject.

Johan Norberg has written extensively on Swedish economic policy...however I'm not sure if all of his works have been published in English.  You might look into it.

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Johannes:
(Can't figure out how the quote-function works...)

New member? READ THIS!

Top 150 Contributor
Male
645 Posts
Points 9,865
James replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 8:35 AM

Most countries abandoned the gold standard and devalued their currencies in the early to mid '30's.

Is it just a coincidence that this trade war occurred less than a decade before you-know-what?

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 200 Contributor
Male
433 Posts
Points 6,720

"Just heard the argument that Sweden and Britain recovered from the great depression before USA. And the argument was that they were more interventionalistic and they went off the gold standard earlier. I would like some comments on this as I cant seem to find any articles on this subject."

Search and you shall find - check out Murphy's The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, which explicitly goes into the dating question. And as for Sweden, it was a lot more free-market oriented than it's given credit for.

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 135
nofx replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 3:18 PM

Thank you. Im from Scandinavia so swedish is fine for me.

Not Ranked
Male
32 Posts
Points 610

I haven't read it myself but the book "Hur Sverige blev rikt" ("How Sweden got rich") by Johan Myhrman contains a chapter about The Great Depression and argues with facts that it was not due to any intervention-policy. I have read a summary of the book and it really seems like it's worth reading.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS