Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Public Education

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 25 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
60 Posts
Points 1,460
Jeff posted on Tue, Apr 26 2011 4:27 PM

I was wondering if anyone could reccomend some good books about the history of education and how American public schools emerged. Was it really true that most people couldn't afford schooling and so the governments "had to" create the public school system, etc?

• | Post Points: 140

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,651 Posts
Points 51,325
Verified by Jeff

Sheldon Richman throws out a few author names in this interview:

Also, Lew Rockwell interviews John Taylor Gatto here. Gatto's books are listed at the bottom.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,651 Posts
Points 51,325
Verified by Jeff

Free The Schools and Education for All by Harry Browne.

Not Ranked
Male
37 Posts
Points 820
Verified by Jeff

This book should help.

Coulson sets out to compare the school systems of civilizations both ancient and modern, seeking to determine which systems achieved the aims of parents and the public at large and which did not. His historical study ranges from classical Athens and ancient Rome, through the Islamic world of the Middle Ages, to nineteenth-century England and contemporary America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lteLWtfdbeM&feature=related
  • | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
533 Posts
Points 8,445

As far as I know, it was not true that people could not afford schools. I have heard Walter Block talk about this, but I can't remember where.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720
Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720

But you don't need schooling anyways.

Unschooling (Sudbury Valley 'School')

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
32 Posts
Points 610

Jeff:
Was it really true that most people couldn't afford schooling and so the governments "had to" create the public school system, etc

As I've understand it, from having studied Americas' history a little, you can find signs of early genesis of the public school system as early as in 1700th century, in the Old Deluder Satan Act in Massauchusetts. The main force behind the law in Massachusetts was conservatism in ideological terms, and I think that conservatism has been the main force in the emergence of the extensive public school system today; the idea basically was that government should be responsible of creating i common moral in society, to preserve the virtous norms in society.

However, I can't come up with any suggested reading for the moment, I haven't read that much myself. You can always try search on this site (if you haven't done it), I think there has been written a book or two about public education published by Mises Institute.
Writing from Sweden. Please, be indulgent to any language errors. :) My blog: http://societyofsweden.wordpress.com/
Top 150 Contributor
533 Posts
Points 8,445

Johannes-

I think you're partially right. The progressives certainly played their part.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,651 Posts
Points 51,325
Verified by Jeff

Sheldon Richman throws out a few author names in this interview:

Also, Lew Rockwell interviews John Taylor Gatto here. Gatto's books are listed at the bottom.

Not Ranked
Male
60 Posts
Points 1,460
Jeff replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 5:05 PM

i've read Rothbard's mongraph a few years ago but i don't recall it covering much about the history of how public education came to be.

Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720

Jeff:

i've read Rothbard's mongraph a few years ago but i don't recall it covering much about the history of how public education came to be.

I looked at it before linking it and your memory is wrong.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,651 Posts
Points 51,325
Verified by Jeff

Free The Schools and Education for All by Harry Browne.

Not Ranked
Male
37 Posts
Points 820
Verified by Jeff

This book should help.

Coulson sets out to compare the school systems of civilizations both ancient and modern, seeking to determine which systems achieved the aims of parents and the public at large and which did not. His historical study ranges from classical Athens and ancient Rome, through the Islamic world of the Middle Ages, to nineteenth-century England and contemporary America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lteLWtfdbeM&feature=related
  • | Post Points: 25
Not Ranked
Male
60 Posts
Points 1,460
Jeff replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 5:28 PM

Thx for the links. i added some of these books to my Amazon wishlist!

Not Ranked
Male
60 Posts
Points 1,460
Jeff replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 5:32 PM

thx to everyone who responded, i knew i came to the right place.

Not Ranked
Male
32 Posts
Points 610

But wheren't the government pretty deeply involved in education already before the liberal forces started to take root?

Writing from Sweden. Please, be indulgent to any language errors. :) My blog: http://societyofsweden.wordpress.com/
Top 150 Contributor
533 Posts
Points 8,445

Seems to me, if you listen to Gatto, that public education didn't really take off in the U.S. until the late 19th century. There may have been some aspects of it earlier, but not nearly as much until later.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS