Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Getting DNA from suspects

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene Posted: Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:20 AM

If there is some evidence that some person commited a serious crime, can a libertarian court demand a DNA sample from that person? I think it should be possible, since obviously if that person did commit the crime, he would refuse to give the sample. But then it would be impossible to prosecute him. If that will be the case I expect too many people going on revenge killings. After all if the court/police can't do their job, the peoplew will.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:36 AM

No, a "libertarian court" - aka a free market arbitrator - could not demand or order anything, especially not the production of incriminating evidence. The defendant may want to offer exonerating evidence, such as his DNA sample, to prove he was not responsible. But no one could ever be induced to produce incriminating evidence beyond what they produce of their own accord. It doesn't even make sense when the whole purpose of going to an arbitrator is to arbitrate an agreement, not incriminate oneself.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 1:12 AM

In a libertarian society, people are innocent until proven guilty.  In addition, PDA's would not arrest or enforce property rights without evidence beyond whatever is the standard in an anarchist society (probably different standards for different crimes, but who knows).  In this system, the police are not held accountable for many of their crimes.  An example http://articles.cnn.com/2011-04-22/justice/pennsylvania.man.wrongful.imprisonment_1_philadelphia-man-sexual-assault-sexual-predator?_s=PM:CRIME

So, how does my point apply to DNA?  I think there are only 3 ways to acquire DNA, but I may be mistaken:

1) Voluntarily given

2) Acquired, without force, by taking abandoned property that had DNA on it

3) Taken by force

Let's look at the third, because that is your question.  If agents of a PDA were to kidnap someone and take his DNA by force, they would be risking both reputation and punishment for kidnapping and assault.  They would have to be pretty damn sure of the guilt of the accused to take the risk.  If the accused is in fact guilty, then so long as what they did not violate the rights of the accused further than how the accused violated his victim's rights, they are in the clear.  If however, he is innocent, then they would bear the appropriate punishment. 

I don't think courts would ever order DNA to be taken, as they would be third party adjudicators.  PDA's might take DNA by force, but as I just said, they would be bearing a great risk if the accused is innocent.  I think the article I linked to shows whats possible when the police cannot be punished for false imprisonment (they are given a pass on many other crimes too, but they are given a free pass on this one in particular).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:16 AM

I can only add upon the previous answers, that one could be within his full rights as an arbitrator by saying to some suspect: “You either give me DNA samples, or I’ll consider you guilty right now”. I think it would work most of the time.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

I think libertarians are unwise to focus this much on these unlikely scenarios. That's why libertarianism is always considered in it's utmost extreme, which makes it appear a lot less likable. And that's where things get complicated so people can find flaws. If the extreme doesn't work then certainly we couldn't move a few steps in that direction. Statists never let the debate get to that level. They never respond to questions like "what about those people who resist being taxed?". Moderate statists never have to answer for the nasty consequences of extreme statism. And libertarian society are thus always contemplated in these unpleasant examples, while statists keep painting utopia.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

No, a "libertarian court" - aka a free market arbitrator - could not demand or order anything, especially not the production of incriminating evidence.

That depends on what you mean by "order".

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:55 AM

Your premise is flawed.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

Eugene:
If there is some evidence that some person commited a serious crime, can a libertarian court demand a DNA sample from that person? I think it should be possible, since obviously if that person did commit the crime, he would refuse to give the sample.

Obviously, only criminals would refuse to give DNA samples.  Its unfathomable that an innocent person would say no for religious, ethical, or privacy reasons.  Why would you say no if you have nothing to hide, right Eugene?

Also, good guys never make mistakes and bad guys always leave DNA samples behind.  They are bad and stupid and don't wear gloves. 

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:13 PM

mikachusetts:

Obviously, only criminals would refuse to give DNA samples.

hope it's sarcasm :D

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:46 PM

mikachusetts:

Eugene:
If there is some evidence that some person commited a serious crime, can a libertarian court demand a DNA sample from that person? I think it should be possible, since obviously if that person did commit the crime, he would refuse to give the sample.

Obviously, only criminals would refuse to give DNA samples.  Its unfathomable that an innocent person would say no for religious, ethical, or privacy reasons.  Why would you say no if you have nothing to hide, right Eugene?

Also, good guys never make mistakes and bad guys always leave DNA samples behind.  They are bad and stupid and don't wear gloves. 

Yes, and nobody ever frames anybody or plants false evidence to frustrate investigation.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:09 PM

Caley McKibbin:
Clayton:
No, a "libertarian court" - aka a free market arbitrator - could not demand or order anything, especially not the production of incriminating evidence.

That depends on what you mean by "order".

I agree. If an accused submits to binding arbitration, he might therefore be agreeing to provide DNA and other evidence as requested by the investigation.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS