Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

"Awful Austrians"

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 66 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,552 Posts
Points 46,640
AJ posted on Sun, May 1 2011 10:01 PM

These people think they are totally debunking AE and even Misesean praxeology as pure religion. Where do they go wrong?

http://lesswrong.com/lw/ar/uniquely_awful_others/

• | Post Points: 95

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

http://mises.org/daily/5158/Mises-on-Mind-and-Method

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
222 Posts
Points 2,995

"I'm not trying to dismiss logic or math per se."

Nope.  You weren't.  You were actually pretty spot on except for the generalization bit.  Just clarifying.  It's interesting to note that, because of these very reasons, superstring theory is nothing but a highly complex example of begging the question.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,010 Posts
Points 17,405

Valject:
It's interesting to note that, because of these very reasons, superstring theory is nothing but a highly complex example of begging the question.

Please explain.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,899 Posts
Points 37,230

Err, '2' is not a generalization and neither is a '+' sign.  They describe objective things.  '2' is a specific quantity (e.g. two apples) and '+' refers to addition.

What is a "quantity?"  Can you grab a "quantity?"  Can I give you one of my "quantities?"  A quanitity is merely an abstraction we make to better understand a dynamic world.  It is merely the use of count nouns to describe intangible things.

Thus 2 +2 must equal 4

Or 22, or 2 sets of 2. 

It's a matter of language

Ya, that's the point.

You can change the language and argue that 2 +2 can equal 22, if only the '+' sign meant that you put the two numbers together and that's your new number... but we're writing in the English language, so until you define the language you want to write in your post doesn't make much sense.

I'm not butchering the language.  The philospher is when he tries to make it rigid and stops using language how we use language in the everyday world.  To a catholic 1+1+1=1 and that is perfectly valid to them.

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,255 Posts
Points 36,010

I'm not butchering the language.  The philospher is when he tries to make it rigid and stops using language how we use language in the everyday world.  To a catholic 1+1+1=1 and that is perfectly valid to them.

But it is a different language game with different rules that you don't enter.

No matter what, you are doing abstract modeling, this is inescapable.  What matters is the languages you choose to enter.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

What is a "quantity?"  Can you grab a "quantity?"  Can I give you one of my "quantities?"  A quanitity is merely an abstraction we make to better understand a dynamic world.  It is merely the use of count nouns to describe intangible things.

Believe it or not, I can grab two apples versus three apples.  Language might be an abstraction, but what it describes is not.

Language is supposed to be precise enough for one to understand what the other person is trying to get accross.  You are butchering language by arguing that something like a '+' sign can have multiple interpretations (which is absurd).

Top 150 Contributor
533 Posts
Points 8,445

1+1 could = 0 but only if you redefine what "+" means. You would have to say that though and I think that's what JMFC is saying.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,899 Posts
Points 37,230

Believe it or not, I can grab two apples versus three apples.  Language might be an abstraction, but what it describes is not.

What is a 3?  Can you show me a 3?  If not, it's an abstraction; a mere generalization we use to understand the universe so we don't go crazy.  You can grab 50 apples, you will still rely upon count nouns to express what it is, exactly, that you have grabbed.

anguage is supposed to be precise enough for one to understand what the other person is trying to get accross.  You are butchering language by arguing that something like a '+' sign can have multiple interpretations (which is absurd).

1+1+1=1 to a catholic.  If you want to refute that, try.  You can't.

Sometimes people also use + to mean "and," rather than explicitly in addition to (like a lion + a tiger, which could or could not = liger).  What about Pert Plus?  

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 150 Contributor
Male
550 Posts
Points 8,575

1+1+1=1 to a catholic

4 legs + 1 top = 1 table

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,255 Posts
Points 36,010

What is a 3?  Can you show me a 3?  If not, it's an abstraction; a mere generalization we use to understand the universe so we don't go crazy. 

And that is what a Human being, or anything else is in any scientific catagory.  It is an abstract model in a set language, with set rules that you choose to enter or speak.

I can show you my hand, a 3 , or a human being for our purpose.

Also note, poetry is a language too.  Not that poetic language is or isn't being used, but it is a language unto itself.

Also have you read Danny's article?

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,899 Posts
Points 37,230

Also, in Bolean Algebra (Base 2 modular arithmetic) 1+1=1 and 1+1=0 are both true.

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,899 Posts
Points 37,230

And that is what a Human being, or anything else is in any scientific catagory.  It is an abstract model in a set language, with set rules that you choose to enter or speak.

I can show you my hand, a 3 , or a human being for our purpose.

Also note, poetry is a language too.  Not that poetic language is or isn't being used, but it is a language unto itself.

You and I need no communicability for you to understand gravitation... just drop an apple.  Maths are not scientific in their own right.  Only when applied to real existing things does it become scientific.  As I have said, 1+1+1=1 is a valid form of math to a catholic.

Also have you read Danny's article?

Yes.  I think it is riddled with circular defintions and other fallacies and amounts to nothing more than an appeal to geometry (geometry works, so economics does too).  I mean, I get that we need logic... duh.  I get that we developed geometry a priori.  But as I said above, perhaps if there were a Sen. Clay back then, the Greeks would have relied more upon empiricism, and we wouldn't have had nothing more than "truth by pure coincedence" up until the scientific revolution.

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,255 Posts
Points 36,010

As I have said, 1+1+1=1 is a valid form of math to a catholic.

In poetry or theology sure, whateves.  Not in algebra

You and I need no communicability for you to understand gravitation... just drop an apple

I'm sorry but everything you are saying still falls into something I have to contextualize and make sense of first. Perspectivism exists, ontology exists. This is a self evident fact.  Science / empiricism is a model, just like everything else, this can not be denied or you are getting really loopy.  There is no reason to care for it unless you find it useful.  

We could have evolved a plethora of ways to describe things or model things in a different way, but we didn't (or if we did it got bred out), it doesn't matter anyway and is beside the point, so here we are.  Mises addresses this anyway in HA,  I think

Top 150 Contributor
533 Posts
Points 8,445

"To a catholic 1+1+1=1 "

Is this a reference to the trinity?

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,255 Posts
Points 36,010

What do you think intersubjectivity even is?  Honestly, if we could use an approach like medicine, it would just be rendered into a field like biology or something and not economics.  We would have doctors and mechanics and not economists, and any worry about the social sciences simply wouldn't exist.

But we don't work that way.  And the parts of us that do are outside the sphere of what we study.  And the parts that will work that way in the future, those too will no longer be economic issues

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,899 Posts
Points 37,230

In poetry or theology sure, whateves.  Not in algebra

In Bolean algebra (base 2 arithmetic) 1+1=1 is as true as 1+1=0.

I'm sorry but everything you are saying still falls into something I have to contextualize and make sense of first. Perspectivism exists, ontology exists. This is a self evident fact.  Science / empiricism is a model, just like everything else, this can not be denied or you are getting really loopy.  There is no reason to care for it unless you find it useful.  

We could have evolved a plethora of ways to describe things or model things in a different way, but we didn't (or if we did it got bred out), it doesn't matter anyway and is beside the point, so here we are.  Mises addresses this anyway in HA,  I think

I understand all this, and it is certainly valid, but I think it's mistaking the forest for the trees.

But maths are not valid in and of themselves.  They only develop utility, for science anyway, when they are tested against the physical world. 1+1+1=1 is a valid math.  But you certainly won't find it applicable to any existing real world phenomena.  We can develop tons of things a priori.  

But, and I did not see this addressed in Danny's article.  there is no way of knowing their truth value unless we can test them against the real world.  And, once again, Danny (maybe I missed it) doesn't address this, other than to appeal to geometry.  In fact, he says the opposite.  He says that if real world phenomena contradict the "laws" of economics, then you must have done it wrong.

His analogy of geometry works because I can physically show you it does.  If you found something that contradicts it, I can physically show you what you did wrong.  You can't do that with economics.  We must rely upon pure faith that the "laws" of economics are, in fact laws.

~Peter Kropotkin

• | Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 5 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS