Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ron Paul Raised $1M in 1 Day For 2012 Campaign

This post has 166 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

I've known since 2007 that Dr. Paul said that he was not in it to win, as I gave my first donation to his 2008 Presidential Campaign as soon as it accepted them.  However, I think that if there aren't many other candidates this time, then he could possibly win, and yes, he would be very surprised.

People have seen what Obama is like (i.e., Bush), and that he wasn't change, and I don't think enough people want another four more years of Bush.

Of course, I think it is also likely Dr. Paul won't win.  As of now, it's a tossup.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

I've known since 2007 that Dr. Paul said that he was not in it to win,

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Because voting is purely didactic at most there is no significance in differentiating his reasons for running.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, May 9 2011 9:20 PM

Libertyandlife:

I've known since 2007 that Dr. Paul said that he was not in it to win,

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, May 9 2011 9:21 PM

YOU WIN MY GOOD SIR.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Mon, May 9 2011 10:59 PM

liberty student:
Folks, there is no state, there is no Constitution, and there is no Congress.  There are just people wearing costumes and adopting titles, pretending to be something which was never more than a delusion or fantasy. 

Just when I almost give up hope around here, I see this.   Thank  you very much.  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Tue, May 10 2011 8:28 AM

DD5:

liberty student:
Folks, there is no state, there is no Constitution, and there is no Congress.  There are just people wearing costumes and adopting titles, pretending to be something which was never more than a delusion or fantasy. 

Just when I almost give up hope around here, I see this.   Thank  you very much.  

The existence of such mass delusions is far from a delusion, though. They exist and affect everyone in a profoundly real way. Establishing that these mass delusions exist is only the first step toward dismantling them, or alleviating their negative consequences. President Ron Paul would be an excellent next step, IMO.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,249
Points 29,610

There is a State. There is a Constitution. There is a Congress.

And that's the problem.

The legitimacy of these institutions is a "delusion" according to us anarcho-capitalists.

"I'm not a fan of Murray Rothbard." -- David D. Friedman

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, May 10 2011 8:49 AM

Lagrange multiplier:

Have you checked the constitution's birth certificate? The government won't really tell us what happened on seven o four. Congress has been in bed with the Russians man and they've poisoned our state supply with fluoride!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

^And that's how we appeal to conservatives.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

DD5:
Just when I almost give up hope around here, I see this.   Thank  you very much.

You're welcome.  I am trying.

z1235:
The existence of such mass delusions is far from a delusion, though.

That is exactly my point.

z1235:
President Ron Paul would be an excellent next step, IMO.

There is no such thing as a President.  It is a delusion.

Lagrange multiplier:

Prove any of them exist in a new thread.

Lagrange multiplier:
The legitimacy of these institutions is a "delusion" according to us anarcho-capitalists.

First, they can't have any legitimacy because they are delusions.

Second, it's not according to ancap that they don't exist, it is a fact of reality.

Third, changing your name and avatar again Strangeloop/Neoclassical doesn't mean you grasp the philosophical foundations necessary to make your statement half true.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Tue, May 10 2011 10:54 AM

liberty student:

Is there such a thing as:

1. a village

2. a herd

3. a family

4. a friend

5. a lover

6. a story

...or are these delusions, as well? What is your definition of delusion?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Can you define them individually please?

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Tue, May 10 2011 11:04 AM

However you define them is fine.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

It isn't.  You introduced the terms, you define them.  Accept the burden of proof or don't play.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Tue, May 10 2011 11:25 AM

libertystudent, since every thread is really your thread, who would you pick to be the next president?

since someone will be president in 2012, who would you want that person to be?  If I put a gun to your head and said choose someone.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

limitgov:
libertystudent, since every thread is really your thread

Do you have anything substantive to say about my positions or do you just want to imply that there is something nefarious about my posting at all?

limitgov:
lsince someone will be president in 2012, who would you want that person to be?  If I put a gun to your head and said choose someone.

If you put a gun to my head, does it make any difference what my preference is?  That's the issue with statism.  Once there is coercion, how do you know you're getting that individual's expression of value preferences?

• | Post Points: 45
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

liberty student:

Isn't the real dilusion here that there is such thing as society in the first place, furthermore, that "it" can be centrally planned by a group of preferential bureaucrats? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Tue, May 10 2011 2:23 PM

I wasn't playing but if you insist, please define "President" and "delusion" first. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

freeradicals:
Isn't the real dilusion here that there is such thing as society in the first place, furthermore, that "it" can be centrally planned by a group of preferential bureaucrats?

I haven't really ordered the delusions by significance.  My point is, there is no US government, and there is no Constitution, so there cannot be an office of the President.  Ron Paul knows this, he was the one who turned me on to Lysander Spooner.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

President = as defined in the US Constitution

Delusion = belief in something false

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,249
Points 29,610

liberty student:
there is no US government

Great! Our work is done!

Not Ranked
Posts 76
Points 1,100
Amadeus replied on Tue, May 10 2011 5:15 PM

But isn't the perception of something false subjective? 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Lagrange multiplier:
liberty student:
there is no US government

Great! Our work is done!

Actually, Lysander Spooner did it.  I am just summarizing his work.  You have of course read Spooner right?  Ron Paul and I have.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Amadeus:
But isn't the perception of something false subjective?

Would that imply that there is no reality?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,249
Points 29,610

liberty student:
You have of course read Spooner right?  Ron Paul and I have.

That's pretty neat!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Tue, May 10 2011 5:40 PM

liberty student:

President = as defined in the US Constitution

Delusion = belief in something false

"False" as "not real" or "non existent" like, say, unicorns or Santa?

Btw, I've read Spooner, too, and quite enjoyed it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

z1235:
"False" as "not real" or "non existent" like, say, unicorns or Santa?

Exactly.  Like unicorns.

z1235:
Btw, I've read Spooner, too, and quite enjoyed it.

You and I aren't far apart on much.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Tue, May 10 2011 5:59 PM

Do you differentiate at all between the following two types of non-existent entities (i.e. delusions):

1. A non-existent President that nukes Hiroshima and Nagasaki

2. A non-existent unicorn

liberty student:
You and I aren't far apart on much.

True that.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, May 10 2011 6:06 PM

"Would that imply that there is no reality?"

There is no set reality, all that matters is the individual's take upon reality. To most people there is an individual who they believe exists who is, according to a definition which was laid out in a document they know as the constitution, the president. At the same time however there is no such thing as property or even an individual, merely things which an individual claims to exist which fit these definitions of things.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

z1235:
A non-existent President that nukes Hiroshima and Nagasaki

The title of President, and the office it derives its power from is a delusion.  Avoid a fallacy of composition.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Neodoxy:
There is no set reality, all that matters is the individual's take upon reality.

So you're saying perception is reality?  If someone believe 2 +2 = 5, then it is?

Does God exist because people believe in him?

Neodoxy:
To most people there is an individual who they believe exists who is, according to a definition which was laid out in a document they know as the constitution, the president.

That's a belief, that doesn't mean it is true.  Unless you really feel that beliefs are truth, but then I wonder how you deal with contradictions.

Neodoxy:
At the same time however there is no such thing as property or even an individual, merely things which an individual claims to exist which fit these definitions of things.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  Could you rephrase it?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, May 10 2011 8:36 PM

liberty student:
]

So you're saying perception is reality?  If someone believe 2 +2 = 5, then it is?

Does God exist because people believe in him?

Two and two put together can never make five, that is incorrect and cannot be, however, if someone percieves the two or the two or the plus or the equals or the five in a different way then it is possible. Once all of these things are perceived in the same way by each individual or entity then they must come to the same conclusion, but if not then no. Perception is necessarily reality to that individual, one knows nothing of reality other than what one percieves. If I told you that "we're really all fish in a big fish tanks owned by sir Zork Esquire" you just didn't know it and you couldn't percieve this and it had no effect on you then so what? You'd continue facing that which was in front of you, your reality

If an individual believes that god exists then sure, he exists in your reality, this doesn't mean that he exists in mine. If person X is good in my mind and my reality this does not mean that he will be a good man in yours.

liberty student:
]

Neodoxy:
At the same time however there is no such thing as property or even an individual, merely things which an individual claims to exist which fit these definitions of things.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  Could you rephrase it?

I'm pointing out that just as the idea of a president is an imaginary construct, so is the idea of property, or even something that constitutes an individual. Bob could not be considered bob, he could just be considered an extension of a greater force or of the environment or whathave you, the individual percieves his environment and world and ascribes to it that which he believes to be there.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Neodoxy:
If an individual believes that god exists then sure, he exists in your reality, this doesn't mean that he exists in mine. If person X is good in my mind and my reality this does not mean that he will be a good man in yours.

So there are multiple realities?  Does it matter at all if there is a God, or does it only matter if people believe or disbelieve there is a God?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Tue, May 10 2011 10:51 PM

I believe things like the "Constitution" certainly exist as a concept.  What we call "The Constituition" is a specific piece of paper with scribblings on it.  Whether it has any forceful effect on citizens is left for the citizens to decide.  A "president" is a man in a suit, but you can also define president as, "a man in a suit that many others perceive to be their leader."

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

liberty student:
there is no state, there is no Constitution, and there is no Congress. [...] There is no such thing as a President.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

John James:

I don't believe they exist, so how about one of the believers define them for us?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Eric080:
I believe things like the "Constitution" certainly exist as a concept.

I don't think I have argued against this.  They are a delusional concept.

Eric080:
Whether it has any forceful effect on citizens is left for the citizens to decide.

There are no citizens.

Eric080:
A "president" is a man in a suit, but you can also define president as, "a man in a suit that many others perceive to be their leader."

We can also define a President as a peanut butter cup.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

liberty student:
I don't believe they exist, so how about one of the believers define them for us?

What doesn't exist?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

John James:

liberty student:

What doesn't exist?

What is the purpose of asking me to answer a question you and I have both already addressed?  I can tolerate playing along to a certain point, but I am not even sure you have one if you want us to keep repeating ourselves.

Apparently, you're now asking me to tell you what you have already asked me.

Page 3 of 5 (167 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS