Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why Powerlifting Shouldn't Be In The Olympics

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325
krazy kaju Posted: Fri, May 27 2011 11:03 AM

Not your typical cup of tea, but with quotes from Thomas Jefferson and Ludwig von Mises, this essay is worth checking out: http://startingstrength.com/articles/powerlifting_olympics_kantor.pdf

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Fri, May 27 2011 12:32 PM

I don't even think there should be an olympics.

Seems to get a few people in shape, true.  But then the rest of the people become stupid national chauvinists, whether in average shape or morbidly obese. This is on top of forcing a city to take on quickly useless structure that is expensive to tax payers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

I guess you don't have a very high opinion of any and all professional sports then :P

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Sat, May 28 2011 7:16 AM

Very interesting reading, thank you very much for sharing.

I understand very well the writer's concerns: what happened to professional road cycling is a stern warning to all. The International Cycling Union (ICU) has been on a witch hunting crusade since the mid '90s, backing its efforts with the full might of the press and the State. Police raids in hotels hosting cycling teams in the middle of a race and highly publicized trials (often mingled with what can only be described as modern day autos da fè) have become commonplace. I can understand how somebody who loves powerlifting and has made it his life choice does not want it to suffer the same faith.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS