Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hunting and gathering

rated by 0 users
This post has 222 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:59 PM

Question is what do hunter-gatherers do for beer?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 337
Points 7,660

Please, everyone knows 4 Loko is the hunter-gatherer drink of choice, that and everclear doubles. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

It's because there's nothing more individualist than being completely self-relient. Besides, there will be a collapse sooner than later so survivalism and primitive skills will be a necessity.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Whatever they can ferment out of local sugar-high produce. Grapes and apples are the usual suspects. That is, if the hunter gatherers have at least a bucket: http://www.howtomakecider.com/cider_equipment.php.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Yeah good luck enjoying that with wild yeast and lots of infection (brewing infection, not an actual medical infection) that you get without proper care and sanitzing, ha.  Your cider/beer will taste like a horse blanket.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Your cider/beer will taste like a horse blanket.

Even now there is demand for such product - quite a lot of supermarkets sell "Natural Cider", which tastes exactly as you describe. Anyway, that's the price one pays for not cooperating with others ;)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 5:45 AM

Ok, so then they have booze.

Next question: what do they do for a dentist?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

http://www.dentistry-forums.com/tooth-extraction-movie-castaway-t3765.html

Dental health-related material
is provided for information purposes
only and does not necessarily
represent endorsement blahblahblah :)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Booze has very little survival value tho. It's better to find water before beer.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 11:07 PM

That's a subjective statement.  When I'm camping I like to get drunk.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

But when you're camping you can go back to civ any time you want. I'm talking about the situation we'll be in after the economy and/or civ collapses for good. Then your beer will have little to no survival value.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Both beer and cider are good sources of vitamins and other microelements...

Anyway, why this desire to turn a perfect opportunity for ancap (assuming it happens) into a Hobbesian caricature of it?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 12:26 AM

When you picture this "collapse" do you picture everyone around you dying?  The world isn't coming to an end.  The cities will be there, the neighborhoods will be there, the communities will be there, essentially what one views as "society" will still be there.  Everyone will be there.  Production will not stop, people will still work, and as far as I know orderly people may still exchange the dollar simply based on it being on a medium of exchange.  You see some Mad Max dystopian future where you are miles away from everyone, but it's you who are going to leave miles away while civilization stays intact.  Intact enough to where I can go to the store and buy beer.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 12:28 AM

Anyway, why this desire to turn a perfect opportunity for ancap (assuming it happens) into a Hobbesian caricature of it?

Wondering the same thing.  This guy has a very negative view of the world to come.  It's hard to grasp when you have common sense and the ability to envision that people are not animals.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595

Andris Birkmanis:

If a government collapses, it does create chaos. This is no caricature. It creates chaos because the government has a territorial monopoly on important services that would not be monopolized in such a manor in an ancap society. An ancap society would not have the same kind of chaos if one of many ancap service providers failed. It is ironic that Hobbesians support the thing that causes what they fear. This is one of the reasons why ancaps promote a peacefull intellectual revolution, not a violent abolishment of government. Let the government services stay in place but allow competition and we'll see who consumers prefer.

Check out my video, Ron Paul vs Lincoln! And share my PowerPoint with your favorite neo-con
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595

Bert:

The cities will be there, the neighborhoods will be there, the communities will be there, essentially what one views as "society" will still be there. 

Is the grid still there? And lets remember that the government is heavily involved in supplying and regulating power. A free society would probably have already solved this problem.  But we don't live in a free society so we have to live with many unnecessary dangers that the government has created because of things like its lousy power grid management. http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/25198/427395.aspx#427395

Bert:

This guy has a very negative view of the world to come.  It's hard to grasp when you have common sense and the ability to envision that people are not animals.

My common sense tells me that this is a thin veneer: http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/25198/427400.aspx#427400

Check out my video, Ron Paul vs Lincoln! And share my PowerPoint with your favorite neo-con
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595

EconomistInTraining:

The harsh reality is that if something really, really bad does happen you're best to just put lipstick on so can look nice when you get fucked. 

(PS, I find it a little concerting that this discussion is going on in an Austrian economics discussion forum)

Easy to say now, but in the midst of a survival situation, you will do things that you find unimaginable now, like cannibalism if need be. You won't just say "Oh well, I'm going to probably die anyway so I'll just give up now."

And why do you find any of this disconcerting? Not following Austrian economics leads to these kinds of situations. Mmmmmm, yummy rats!:

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Before civ collapses I'm going to buy as much gold and silver as I possibly can b/c that ensures survival. The Zimbabwe video proves it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Autolykos:

If everyone started living as a hunter-gatherer, nearly everyone on Earth would die of starvation in short order.

It would cut the fat. Plus, I think people would survive on the whole. Humanity has survived millenia as far as we know, and there's no reason to think the majority of people would drop off.

Hunting and gathering is just the natural state of humans. I would much rather hunt and gather my food supply than buy anything from the supermarket since I have no idea what state-subsidized big agra is putting in the food these days and I simply can't trust the FDA at all.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Hunting and gathering is just the natural state of humans.

By the same line of reasoning, living in trees and being a different species is the natural state of human beings. Just because it came first and then changed, it doesn't mean it's the "natural" state of human beings.

Domestication of plants and animals could be considered completely natural.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 1:35 PM

Freedom4Me73986:

If everyone started living as a hunter-gatherer, nearly everyone on Earth would die of starvation in short order.

1) How would you know?

2) Why should I care? Are you insisting that we put the collective before the individual?

do you want helpless children to DIE?

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:

1) How would you know?

2) Why should I care? Are you insisting that we put the collective before the individual?

do you want helpless children to DIE?

I have no obligation to those children unless I voluntarily agree to it.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 1:08 AM

The political philosophy of individualism has zero to do with unnaturally cutting yourself off from society. Humans are social creatures; you out in the woods by choice is not being an individualist, it's being a hermit. It's a hobby, not a political stance, nor even a naturalistic one.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Rather than relying strictly on foraging and hunting, perhaps you can hedge your bet a little:

Permaculture

Agroforestry

Survival Potatoes - I would also do some "guerilla planting" of these in any available space.

Survival Kale - Great self-seeding leafy green vegetable.  Any of the "brassicas" can be emergency food.

As other poster have stated, "rugged individualism" is just hermitude.  What is the point of surviving all alone?  Definitely need to get yourself a tribe.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Rather than relying strictly on foraging and hunting, perhaps you can hedge your bet a little:

Permaculture

Agroforestry

Survival Potatoes - I would also do some "guerilla planting" of these in any available space.

Survival Kale - Great self-seeding leafy green vegetable.  Any of the "brassicas" can be emergency food.

As other poster have stated, "rugged individualism" is just hermitude.  What is the point of surviving all alone?  Definitely need to get yourself a tribe.

Thanks for this. Although I'd need to be 100% certain that those seeds are non-GMO. I'm trying to avoid ag b/c ag was the root of the state and eat a diet consisting of 100% raw wild plants and sometimes raw milk. No meat, no gluten, no grains, just wild, natural and raw veggies, fruits and nuts.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Freedom4Me73986:
Although I'd need to be 100% certain that those seeds are non-GMO.

There are plenty of organic heirloom seed companies to choose from.  Some I've used in the past:

Seed Savers Exchange

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

Johnny's Select Seeds

Fedco Seeds

Freedom4Me73986:
I'm trying to avoid ag b/c ag was the root of the state

Along with deception, ignorance, and superstition.  There are examples of semi-agricultural "stateless" (depends how you are defining it) cultures

Zo'e People

Mandan Tribe

Also, "agriculture" does not necessarily consist of plowing, planting, weeding, etc.  Edible landscapes can be designed that are self-sustaining, requiring little to no human intervention:

Natural Farming

Polyculture

Forest Gardening

Three Sisters

Landrace

Self-seeding Vegetables

Freedom4Me73986:
eat a diet consisting of 100% raw wild plants and sometimes raw milk. No meat, no gluten, no grains, just wild, natural and raw veggies, fruits and nuts.

What about eggs?

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:
I'm trying to avoid ag b/c ag was the root of the state

Along with deception, ignorance, and superstition.  There are examples of semi-agricultural "stateless" (depends how you are defining it) cultures

The whole point of the state was to manage ag. That's how it came into being. Those cultures you showed me were not fully agricultural. 

What about eggs?

I'm split on eggs. Ever read The China Study? I get most of my data about animal products from that. Eating animals seems illogical.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

deleted

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Freedom4Me73986,

The whole point of the state is to exploit productive members of society.  It is fundamentally fraud.  Whether or not those surplus producers are farmers.

I haven't read The China Study, but I have heard of it.  How is eating animals illogical?  If it is from a sort of "caloric efficiency", I do agree that killing and eating animals is typically less efficient than growing crops, but the renewable animal foods (milk, eggs, blood) are extremely efficient food sources, since animals are able to process non food calories (grass, shrubs, bugs, etc.) into food calories for humans.

Maasai

My father and I are looking into attaining maximum efficiency with minimal inputs for animal food production.  Pigs and chickens seem like very good candidates in our climate (temperate decidious forest).  One farmer has spent a good deal of effort on working through some of the more holistic livestock management systems.

Joel Salatin

Also, those Chinese people in the study were certainly sedentary farmers.  Their land management system was documented in great detail in the book Farmers of Forty Centuries.  Big into organic matter recycling.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986,

The whole point of the state is to exploit productive members of society.  It is fundamentally fraud.  Whether or not those surplus producers are farmers.

Where did you learn your history of how the state came into being?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

The state had nothing to do with the origin of agriculture.  Evidence of agriculture precedes any evidence for a centralised state by literally thousands of years.  States historically arose in agricultural and pastoral areas only because they could confiscate goods from their subjects without the result of societal collapse (via emigration, starvation, revolution etc.).  This was only possible due to the increased capital accumulation of their subjects compared to hunter-gatherers.  There is no support in theory or in history for the state playing a role in the origin of agriculture.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

My personal personal favorite stateless agrarian site:

Catal Hyuk

The collusion of the first temple/grainary priests and ambitious chiefs/warlords created "the state" as we know it.  Of course, you could trace it all the way back to the rise of the patriarchial nuclear family if you wanted.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

"Booze has very little survival value tho. It's better to find water before beer."

Nope. Not even true.

Why do you think drinks like tea that involve boiling water and beer which involved distilling or fermenting even exist? Its because it's incredibly hard to find drinkable water that isn't filled with bacteria. Brewing is a way of drinking something without having to worry about the purification process, and its pretty easy (and doesn't taste like horse).

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:24 PM

Yeah good luck enjoying that with wild yeast and lots of infection (brewing infection, not an actual medical infection) that you get without proper care and sanitzing, ha.  Your cider/beer will taste like a horse blanket.

False idea the government has been feeding you. I do not mean to sound like a health nut (and I am quite hesitant to react when someone says that the government willingly lies to us about food safety (besides big food interests, of course)), but my family has made apple cider completely naturally without any chemicals or special equipment and we've not gotten sick of it (it is slightly alcoholic and I'm sure it can be increased in alcohol level).

Furthermore, my parents make wine themselves. I don't see where you get the idea of that many infections from.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:26 PM

it's incredibly hard to find drinkable water that isn't filled with bacteria

All water has bacteria. Period. Now, are those bacteria bad? Not all of them. My parents will soon start getting water from a spring, and people in Bulgaria do this all the time as well. I agree that boiling water or drinking alcohol increases chances of no infection, but I doubt that safe water is that scarce.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

It's the popular account of why these drinks show up. If the water near by is undrinkable, you boil it or brew. *shrug*

Considering that civ is supposedly collapsing on itself, goldbricks shouldn't be counting on clean water.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Capitalists who want to be survivialists...now there is a contradiction. 

I welcome the market. I love it. I welcome civilization, it allows me to specialize into a field that I desire to be in. 

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

"Capitalists who want to be survivialists...now there is a contradiction."

Exactly what I've been thinking about it. All the post-civ folks I know are concerned with finding a tribe, not living by themselves and collecting gold in the hopes of being some post-civ king of trade.

Previous | Next
Page 2 of 6 (223 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS