Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Understanding the Term Structure of Interest Rates

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
22 Posts
Points 350
Mercator posted on Sat, Jun 25 2011 8:15 PM

Ok, elsewhere I sought guidance to understand Hayek's Triangle and the distribution of capital. But this structure of capital is distended and warped by centrally planned interest rate manipulation. In these discussions of how interest rates warp the structure of capital, we only seem to acknowledge one "interest rate" that is the driver.

In real life, we have a whole term structure of interest rates - a 3 month rate , 1 year, 5 year, 30 year rates, and everything in between. How do we account for the terms tructure of interest rates in the influence of the structure of capital?

Thanks

"...a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy..."
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
424 Posts
Points 5,980

http://mises.org/journals/qjae/pdf/qjae13_3_5.pdf

The Term Structure of Savings, the Yield Curve, and MaturityMismat

ching

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

I would look into Garrison's work on ABCT. (video lectures here).  But for the short answer, you can see here:

Under today's fiat-money regimes, central banks, as a rule, control short-term interest rates. They do so by setting the interest rates on short-term loans extended to commercial banks (typically with maturities of one day, one week, two weeks, or one month).

By determining short-term interest rates, a central bank exerts a strong influence on longer-term interest rates (such as, for instance, 10-year bond yields). The expectation theory of the term structure of interest rates explains why this is the case.[1]

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Points 350

Thank you for this, but it is taking some time to digest.

"...a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy..."
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS