Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The New Mises Community

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 33 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 3,195
Stephen Adkins posted on Wed, Jul 13 2011 3:32 AM

Maybe I don't like change, but what's up with it? It seems way less user-friendly to me. Are the users of that forum on this one as well, or are they two separate communities of users. Is the plan to eventually incorporate this forum into that one? Thanks.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 3,195

Sorry I should have looked around a bit. This issue has been addressed elsewhere.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
508 Posts
Points 8,570

Where?  Because I'm a bit confused about it also.

Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Points 3,195

When I say "addressed" I guess I don't mean definitively and clearly answered, because I'm unclear as to what's going on, but there are two other threads regarding this issue, here and here. I think it would be helpful if somebody "in the know" would put together a more comprehensive explanation for all the good users of this community here so we know what to expect. For example, do I have to create a new account for that community, or will this account automatically go over there? Will these communities always be parallel or will this one at some point be shut down; if it's the latter, how will  we be notified, etc.

If there is already some sort of announcement that addresses these points and others, that would be most helpful.

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Stephen Adkins:
I think it would be helpful if somebody "in the know" would put together a more comprehensive explanation for all the good users of this community here so we know what to expect. For example, do I have to create a new account for that community, or will this account automatically go over there? Will these communities always be parallel or will this one at some point be shut down; if it's the latter, how will  we be notified, etc.  If there is already some sort of announcement that addresses these points and others, that would be most helpful.

Yes you have to create a new account.  The two communities are completely separate, and the plan is to shut this one down at some point way down the road.  My hope is that it will be archived, so that even if new posts can't be made, all the threads will still be here for reference.  Lot of good conversation over the years.  That being said, much (if not most) of the accounts at the new forum are people who have accounts here on this forum...as many of them have used the same username and even the same avatar.  

The only other relevant info is that any accounts created after June 15 (maybe a little earlier) are currently locked out of new community (i.e. they cannot log in).  This is almost positively due to spam issues.  But even the lockout hasn't been directly acknowledged, and there is certainly no word on when it will be lifted. (See facebook thread below).  For the latest info I would keep an eye on the news and forums at the new community page, and the threads at the Mises.org Development Group.   And you might also see How you can help Mises.org.

Here are some relevant threads:

My thoughts on the forum software

The New Community

New Mises forum: must use Facebook. ??

And for newcomers, the two threads linked in the above post:  

New forums... HELP!!

New forum issues

Top 500 Contributor
312 Posts
Points 4,325
If the must-use-Facebook-thing will happen, I won't come to the New Forum.
-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
There's a learning curve to the community.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

New Community is Live

Everyone who created an account at the new community after June 15, go see if you can log in...

Top 500 Contributor
285 Posts
Points 4,140

John James:

New Community is Live

Everyone who created an account at the new community after June 15, go see if you can log in...

I'm still locked out.  WordPress says "Site Suspended".  May I ask the admins if the lockout is temporary or permanent?

Is it possible to white list my WordPress username?

Is the presumption from now on, I have to login from FaceBook?

Edit:

The problem has been resolved.  I created a brand new account from scratch.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

I don't have facebook, and have np logging in.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720

- What are Groups, how do they work, and can people create unlimited amounts of them (and why)?

- Is the person who creates a Group indeed the Moderator of it? (seems like a terrible idea)

- Why isn't there an explanation of the changes up anywhere?

- Who's actively moderating it?

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 120

your account probably got flagged as spam incorrectly - what is your username?

Many others have been signing up successfully recently, so I don't think this is a global problem...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Male
508 Posts
Points 8,570

What the heck?  No upper case letters, spaces, or underscores allowable in your user name?  What is this 1995?

I'm kind of confused why Mises is having SUCH trouble getting thier forums straight.  I mean, this is old hat stuff.

Top 500 Contributor
285 Posts
Points 4,140

Israel Curtis:

your account probably got flagged as spam incorrectly - what is your username?

Many others have been signing up successfully recently, so I don't think this is a global problem...

I have mixed problems now.  I managed to login successfully, and even posted a message to Commons, but then I logout.

Then I tried to login back again, but then the "Site Suspended" message re-emerged again, so I'm locked out.

Edit:

The problem has been resolved.  I created a brand new account from scratch.
Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720

LogisticEarth: What the heck? No upper case letters, spaces, or underscores allowable in your user name? What is this 1995?

There is a username used for urls and such and there is a seperate field for what name you'd like to appear as.

Example: http://community.mises.org/members/nielsio/profile/

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS