Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

You know what really grinds my gears?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Sat, Jul 16 2011 4:01 PM

http://www.factpile.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/what-really-grinds-my-gears.jpg

...people making up crap about Facebook just so they can claim Google+ is so great:

"You can much more carefully share with specific people "

"It's more user-friendly"

"It's safer"

"there are a lot of people not on FB because they don't trust it. The easyness I'm witnessing at G+ may get those people over"

And of course our very own Jeff Tucker:

"Facebook's infrastructure has the same problem. It aggregates everyone as either friend or nonfriend. Whether it's family, an acquaintance, a business associate, a teacher, or your psychologist, they are all in the same category. People have made fun of this for years, but mostly we've gotten used to it."

At least he admits what he just said isn't true in the very next paragraph:

"There are ways around it, but they are tricky. You can create groups of friends and move people around within them."

But then of course, we can't stop there.  Google is just so awesome and has learned from it's total failure Google Buzz.  We need more attributes that make G+ better than Facebook because, well, it really would help the story.  So let's manufacture another "problem" with ol' FB:

"[With G+] the humiliation and hurt that comes with de-friending someone is completely gone. If you have had a falling out with someone, you move them from this circle to that one — or remove them from all circles. There is no brazen and stinging announcement. The person merely ceases to receive updates from your posting feed. Peace at last!"

Because I know the thing I always hated most about Facebook was the way an announcement was made to the world every time you removed someone from your friend list.  And thank God someone finally made a platform that allows you to create groups of friends and move people around within them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980

All of the social networking sites are asinine ways for big corporations to get people to categorize useful information FOR them so they can profit off of the body of information that people  campaign to add to.

You wanna be cool right?

EDIT: also, I can say now that i refrained from EVER being a part of facebook and hopefully it will crumble like myspace did. 

Become a rebel John and join my G+ group

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Em_ptySkin:
All of the social networking sites are asinine ways for big corporations to get people to categorize useful information FOR them so they can profit off of the body of information that people  campaign to add to.[...] also, I can say now that i refrained from EVER being a part of facebook

I never thought the first response in a grinds-my-gears thread would be an example of something else that grinds my gears.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980

what people making obvious observations?

Is it still an observation if it obvious?

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 4:15 PM

Because removing "friends" from a social networking site is a damn tragedy that only some people can make it through.  When I see those pixels removed from my screen I just burst into tears.  Too bad it's easier in real life when you don't have to see them face to face and can remove yourself from a good distance, oh wait...

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

I have always been a slow mover from one social network to another.  I moved from Myspace to Facebook only because at the time I was living in Spain, where most people used Facebook; otherwise, it would have taken me even longer to transition.  I really don't see how Google+ is that much better than Facebook.  Google+ had to allow users to use Facebook from Google+ in order to really be able to compete.  I have a Google+ account, but I don't really plan on using it unless Facebook simply becomes unpopular.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS