Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

My advice regarding the Mises Community (video)

rated by 0 users
This post has 63 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 4:44 PM

Mine's better :P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Wheylous:

Nah, still got problems:

http://community.mises.org/groups/the-commons/forum/topic/suggestion-box/?topic_page=6&num=15

This time all I did was open a <script> tag and not close it.

Now that I think about it, does this forum also have problems?

You're able to do by messing with the page style, correct?
Pasting from MS Word would insert <divs> that weren't properly closed and, thereby, would screw up the font size, color, and family and would mess up the alignment of the posts.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stop emailing replies to me

PoorPoorFairFairAverageAverageGoodGoodExcellentExcellent
This post has 41 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 379
Points 6,130
Wheylous replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 2:44 PM | 173.245.56.153

Mine's better :P

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,189
Points 71,445
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
Daniel Muffinburg replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 2:45 PM | 199.27.128.195

Wheylous:

Nah, still got problems:

http://community.mises.org/groups/the-commons/forum/topic/suggestion-box/?topic_page=6&num=15

This time all I did was open a <script> tag and not close it.

Now that I think about it, does this forum also have problems?

You're able to do by messing with the page style, correct?
Pasting from MS Word would insert <divs> that weren't properly closed and, thereby, would screw up the font size, color, and family and would mess up the alignment of the posts.
To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Page 2 of 2 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

Ludwig von Mises Institute | 518 West Magnolia Avenue | Auburn, Alabama 36832-4528

Phone: 334.321.2100 · Fax: 334.321.2119

contact@Mises.org | webmaster | AOL-IM MainMises

Mises.org sitemap

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 4:52 PM

Mmmm... no. I just edited the HTML soure code (top left of the posting box there is a "Source" button). It's more reliable.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Wheylous:

Mmmm... no. I just edited the HTML soure code (top left of the posting box there is a "Source" button). It's more reliable.

That's what I'm saying. You're adding code in there that messes with the style of the page. Or were you actually able to generate a post by Nielso?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 4:58 PM

Yes, I am adding code. There is no actual separate blog post for Nielsio - it's part of my post. I just made it look like Nielsio with some tricks. Perhaps I could do a full-page tasteful portrait of the Lulzsec guy. I'll start a new thread so that I don't interfere with the discussion here and only post any interesting finds.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Yes it does! Check out Nielsio:

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Points 36,610

Nielsio replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 1:55 PM

I AM A COMMUNISTTTTTT

I AM A COMMUNISTTTTTT

I AM A COMMUNISTTTTTT

I am not Nielsio and I don't approve this message.

• | Post Points: 35

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 5:40 PM

I'm not a godless communist crying

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Wheylous:

I'm looking into the forum's bugs.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,140

Charles Anthony:

The early Austrian Network forum was perfect. 

This second one we are currently posting in has unfixed bugs. 

The third latest one is so obviously horrible that it is almost insulting. 

Weird trend. 

Here is something interesting.  From the very first forum about migrating to this community:

http://www.austrianforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2115

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 2:19 AM

Well, I think I'm calling it quits for now. Mises.org has made it clear that they don't give a shit about their top contributors. All that matters to them is implementing whatever pre-conceived notions they have about how they're going to revolutionize internet forums (ROFL!) The corpus of my contributions to this forum is quite substantial, and has been contributed at no cost to LvMI. Oh well, their loss.

Nielsio, I think I'm switching to your forums for the time being. Let's see how many we can take with us.

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 6:17 AM

Clayton:
Well, I think I'm calling it quits for now. 

I'm not calling it quits (yet) but I sympathize with Clayton. I've noticed the slower traffic and the absence of many old good/frequent contributors, while not seeing a corresponding increase in traffic in the new forum. I could be wrong but, to me, this regretfully suggests attrition rather than transition.

As mentioned by other top contributors here, during the couple of years I've been on this forum I've always wondered why it doesn't use a standard off-the-shelf forum software like I see on many other forums -- which seem to be more stable, have more features, and probably require less resources to run. I've been hoping that the reason for such a decision would soon reveal itself, but that hasn't happened yet. If anything, more forum features (quotes!) have been messed up.

Btw, I am thoroughly unimpressed by the new forum and agree with Nielsio's critiques/suggestions. I registered there months ago and have yet to contribute. 

Just my two cents.

EDIT: The above is especially unfortunate in a time when Austrian Economics, Ron Paul, and sound money (gold) is getting an exponentially increasing traction in the media, when I notice 'guests' lurking here in the hundreds consistently, and when first time posters and my friends/relatives come asking questions. 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • I'm not calling it quits (yet) but I sympathize with Clayton. I've noticed the slower traffic and the absence of many old good/frequent contributors, while not seeing a corresponding increase in traffic in the new forum. I could be wrong but, to me, this regretfully suggests attrition rather than transition.

Sam observations here.  I can't even use the new forums half the time because, as Clayton noted over there, they require some level of cookies that aren't allowed on my work computer.  Honestly a lot of the time I spend contributing and reading here is during downtime at work.

This really is a shame, I have no idea why the site is being managed like this, as others have noted there's a million other forums elsewhere that actually WORK, are navigable, and just easier to use in general.  Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel here without getting the first model to work properly?  Not to mention the abandonment of all the old information here.

What the heck?  I love reading these boards and there is/was a lot of people on here with a good deal of understanding of AE and libertarianism in general.  It used to be that I would direct someone who needed complex explainations to post thier questions here, or read old threads on the same topics.  No more though.  The new forums are lower in quality both in structure and content.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Where is Nielsio's forum?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 11:28 AM

http://www.vforvoluntary.com/forum/

"Your freedom ends where my feelings begin" -- ???
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

What do you think about Vanilla Forums?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,140

Bump.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 30
Points 665
SystemAdministrator

I have set up a test site for vanilla forums. if anyone would like to test them out and give me feedback please let me know. right now the plan is to keep the new community for the groups and social aspect and embed vanilla forums as a global forum. all users from the new community would automatically be users of vanilla. we want to get this right and we need to move to something because the server that hosts this forum is not reliable.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Sep 9 2011 10:52 PM

EDIT: The above is especially unfortunate in a time when Austrian Economics, Ron Paul, and sound money (gold) is getting an exponentially increasing traction in the media, when I notice 'guests' lurking here in the hundreds consistently, and when first time posters and my friends/relatives come asking questions.

It's downright irresponsible.

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 30
Points 665
SystemAdministrator

In the new community we have implemented a new global forum. It is a Vanilla Forums embedded into the New Community. You do not have to sign up as it shares your new community login. There are kinks but I'm working them out as fast as I can. I would love suggestions and feedback. One thing I am working on is a good way to try make the transition from this forum to that one. If you are a Mod here send me a PM and tell me so I can add you as a mod there. Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 5:57 PM

I can't start a new discussion in the new forums. I mean, I understand that you need heightened security measures after my previous romp, but going so far as to now let anyone post? :P

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 30
Points 665
SystemAdministrator

Where are you trying to post? In the brand new today global forum or in the groups?

Page 2 of 2 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS