Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Spoken Mises

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
mikeon Posted: Mon, Jun 2 2008 5:15 AM

For all those that can't read or just too lasy, or just prefer to listen, I've put a http://spokenmises.org site. The site offers an auto-generated audio versions of articles from mises.org articles.

Quality isn't perfect, but then again, it's it or nothing when you drive long your car or talke a walk.

Comments welcome.

--
Michal

PS

I'm working on gettin a better quality voice, but it costs money to get it, so for now it is what it is.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Mon, Jun 2 2008 8:32 AM

Wow, this is just tremendous. I salute you!

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
mikeon replied on Mon, Jun 2 2008 8:47 AM

Thank you Sir!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Mon, Jun 2 2008 9:12 AM

mikeon:
For all those that can't read or just too lasy, or just like to read, I've put a http://spokenmises.org site. The site offers an auto-generated audio versions of articles from mises.org articles.

Quality isn't perfect, but then again, it's it or nothing when you drive long your car or talke a walk.

I'm busy downloading, so I haven't checked the results yet - Anyway I want to congratulate you on the effort... And hope this is going to be helpful to many people.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

That is too cool  May I ask what software and CMS you used to create it? 

Also would it be possible to get an RSS feed?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
mikeon replied on Tue, Jun 3 2008 12:14 PM

First I created my own CMS, but then I decided to use an existing blog engine (blogengine.net in this case), because I wanted to have comments and other stuff in the future, and it is not worth maintaining the whole cms if you can just tweak some things in an existing one.

Then there is the mp3 thing.

For this I've created my own app. It both takes text from mises.org, converts it into mp3 and posts it as a post on the blog.

As for RSS - it's there on the top menu - no icon - sorry. Will add it sometime in the future ;-)

Hope this answers your questions.

Please feel free to ask if you want to know more.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

Sweet.  This site rocks and will save so much time.  I usually just do Services>Speech on my Mac, but the drawback is I can't take it with me when I am on the go.  But now it is so much easier.  Thanks again for making this available to us!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS