Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Napeoleonic War Bond Incident

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon posted on Tue, Jan 24 2012 6:31 PM

I've read around a lot that the Rothschild family had an agent at the battle of waterloo who brought back news of the english defeat. But this was a lie, as the british had won the battle. Bonds plummeted and Rothschild, knowing the truth, bought up the bonds at pennies on the dollar. I read this on a lot of less-than-scholarly sites and was wondering if there is any historical truth to it? And if there is, can someone source it? Maybe a record of bond prices around the battle of waterloo?

I don't doubt it, but it's hardly something I can bring up in an argument to establish Rothschild's connection with the bank of england until I can substantiate the claim.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
814 Posts
Points 16,290

I don't know but a lot of things said about the Rothschild family are false, so I'd say it's probably not true.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,485 Posts
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 2:42 AM

I can find no mention of this episode in Georges Lefevbre's book which is one of the best authorities about economics during the First Empire.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
225 Posts
Points 4,195

I do know that the English government issued bonds without an expiry date in order to fund the Napoleonic wars. However, I have no idea who bought them and if they were issued as a result of the incident you mentioned.

'' The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.'' Stephen Hawking

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:39 PM

Kakugo:

I can find no mention of this episode in Georges Lefevbre's book which is one of the best authorities about economics during the First Empire.

The purchase was of English bonds, not French ones. Historian Niall Ferguson claims it to be true. I just don't want to toss it around and then be called anti semitic for using some historical piece on par with Protocols of Elders of Zion.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
430 Posts
Points 8,145

I once traced this claim back to a historian in the light 19th century (I believe), although I'm not sure how much stock to put into itt. It certainly is interesting that Ferguson believes this happened. Do you have a citation?

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:15 PM

http://www.businessweek.com/1998/49/b3607071.htm

Here he supports the claim that the Rothschilds had knowledge of the victory before anyone else, but does not comment on the 'fake sell-off' story.

Land & Liberty

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The Rothschilds were bankers for many of the elite. I recommend that you read Niall Ferguson's books on the Rothschilds. You'll get a sense of how powerful they were in an albeit small market for securities. You'll even pick up some business tips.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
1,485 Posts
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 3:40 AM

Lefevbre covers the whole of Europe (for example devoting an entire chapter to smuggling and customs in Germany) so it's pretty comprehensive.

However he could have chosen not to report something for which he lacked multiple sources and/or since the last edition was the book was printed in 1956, new sources may have turned up since then.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS