Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Bloomberg Article

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 229
Points 3,055
ricarpe Posted: Mon, Feb 6 2012 11:12 AM

Came across this Op-Ed piece while surfing the Bloomberg site:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-06/john-adams-and-the-jockeys-of-anarchy-david-hackett-fischer.html

I thought I'd share it with you all.

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." -James Madison

"If government were efficient, it would cease to exist."

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Thanks for making me barf

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 12:59 PM

"Many libertarians in the U.S. are consumed by an obsessive hatred of taxation."

My, that's an impartial article there.

(I should have known better than to click on a Bloomberg link).

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Yes, Professor Fischer plays the same broken record that "life is unfair". What is new? Life has been unfair since life on Earth began, has it not? (Which, by-the-way, was way before the American economic system existed.) The vice of some to claim that their own endowment of liberty (or greatness) gives them a power to diminish or destroy the liberties of others has occurred many more times in world history than it has in American history, has it not? Ironically, I wonder if the professor has been endowed with tenure? And, from the professor's definitions, would mean he has been liberated from freedom? That is illogical. In addition, it is not permanent either. You're only given a finite amount of life and it is taken away from you without regard to merit or achievement, whether you last 6 minutes or 76 years. Get over it. We may not like it but, in fairness, we all meet the same end. To take pity on one's unhappiness and make sweeping assumptions that some person, politician, group, system, concept, country, history, or whatever you wish is to blame is irrational. Trying to convince others to blame themselves is evil.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

I barfed after "Another colonial example is the liberty-loving people, especially in the Southern states, who insisted that they possessed the right to keep slaves."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS