Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Lottery winner thinks she has a right to welfare

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Wed, Mar 7 2012 6:38 PM

First of all, I'd like to remind you that one example doesn't disprove the system. 

But still, this stuff's crazy! She thinks she's entitled to other people's money after bringing home $500,000!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 12:45 AM

She is entitled. She paid way more in taxes than she is getting back. It's her lottery money in those food stamps.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 705
jdkdsgn replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:20 AM

Exactly, Marko. I wonder how they would respond to that kind of clear thinking? I say, live, and let live. Quit your advocacy unless you can't live without doing it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:25 AM

So there's no issue with a person with a net worth over half a million dollars using food stamps? Ooooookay.

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 705
jdkdsgn replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:41 AM

Mtn Dew - do you think she was not entitled to all of her winnings? The government taxed her 50 cents to the dollar - if you don't believe that taxation is theft, then there's no way to solve our differences. 

Bottom line: she is paying for her own food stamps. Why is that wrong?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:46 AM

Marko:
She is entitled. She paid way more in taxes than she is getting back. It's her lottery money in those food stamps.

I agree, actually, but I wonder if that's the reason why her food stamps were cut. That is, the government cut her assistance because they want to give the money taken from her lottery winnings to other people. People go along with it because they don't see her as needing assistance anymore. Libertarians shouldn't see that as the point - the point is, with her continuing to receive food stamps after winning the lottery, she's effectively getting back some of the money taken from her lottery winnings in taxes.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:03 AM

I understand she's getting money back that she paid. I do. But she clearly doesn't understand that concept at all. I still think it's skeevy.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:22 AM

Oh, we're not saying we necessarily agree with her reasoning for it. And in this day and age (unfortunately), it may be prudent to "go with the flow", even if we think as libertarians that we're entitled to certain things.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 1:00 PM

I understand she's getting money back that she paid. I do. But she clearly doesn't understand that concept at all. I still think it's skeevy.

So not only did they take money from her, they brainwashed her. The bastards!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Haha, you guys. I actually am now in agreement with Marko. She can get her money back. While she may technically be "allowed" to get her money back, her reasoning is not the correct one. Instead of saying "hey, you took half a mil, I can get $200 per month", she says "it's tough to make ends meet."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS