Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Have I stated this criticism of Keynes correctly?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 180
markb57 posted on Mon, Mar 19 2012 12:49 PM

All :

I am reading/learning Austrian economics, and at the same time arguing with a friend who is pretty steadfast Democrat and thus favors continuous government intervention in the economy. I sent him links to the Murphy/Krugman exchanges, and we are discussing this. My request to this forum is to review a statement I want to make to him, but I'm not sure if I have it correct. Here is what I'd like to tell him:

"Austrians claim that the Keynesian models that use economics aggregates to create mathematical models to predict economic behaviour cannot do so, because they don't account for the sophistication of the productive structure, which, because of the variables in each individual  case, cannot be quantified on a general scale."

Does this seem correct? Any suggested corrections or edits?

I am in a difficult position, as I am trying to argue points with my buddy even as I am trying to develope my own understanding of them, and he has no interest in actually reading the Austrian books that would clear this all up for him.

My buddy, by the way, is a Phd engineer, took standard micro and macro-economics as an undergrad at Lehigh (years ago - we're not kids anymore), and is very widely read. 

Thanks for any help offered....

markb

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

...am trying to argue points with my buddy even as I am trying to develope my own understanding of them...

The cart and the horse running neck and neck?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
539 Posts
Points 11,275

Why are you trying to argue for a theory you have not studied yet? Are you trying to use Austrian economics to bolster your already held beliefs?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
128 Posts
Points 2,945

You claim Keynesian models  " don't account for the sophistication of the productive structure."   What do you mean by this?  I think you mean that Keynesian models aren't based on microfoundations, which isn't entirely true (at least nowadays).   

Top 500 Contributor
128 Posts
Points 2,945

Sadly, that is the case with many who claim that they want to "learn" Austrian economics.   What they really want is to merely reinforce what they already believe.   

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Friedmanite:
Sadly, that is the case with many who claim that they want to "learn" Austrian economics.   What they really want is to merely reinforce what they already believe.

It's the case with many more who don't care to bother to learn anything.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS