Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Capitalism versus Corporatism

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 1,975
James Greene Posted: Mon, Mar 19 2012 4:56 PM

I am looking for specific examples of laws, regulations and pieces of history that illustrate a corporate and banking elite that have cheated and bribed their way around a free market.

I have a fabulous article written about the philosophical differences between capitalism and corporatism and how the mainstream left erronously blames capitalism for our problems while the mainstream right erronously blames government without looking at the special interests that do not change whether a republican or democrat is in office.

The conclusion that I make is that wall street, big business and the military industrial complex are absolutely the problem and are, in fact, some of the biggest enemies of free market capitalism.  But the key is to recognize that it is the govnerment that they act through and the government that must be disassembled, not capitalism.

What my work needs are a collection of very specific examples from histroy to illustrate this.

I hear from small business owners that there are too many regulations that only make sense for big business to follow and that only they can afford.  What are examples of this?

Lets collect as many examples of this happening in practice as we can.  What are the elite doing to obstruct the free market and who is doing it?  Thank you all.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 7:28 PM

http://mises.org/daily/1950

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 1,975

Very good articles.  One of the most massive and shocking examples is the 16 trillion dollars that the Fed gave out recently to businesses and banks from around the world.  How on earth that is allowed to take place is unbelievable to me. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 1,975

How about big agribusiness like Monsanto?  I hear alot of griping about them.  Have they not followed free market principles?  Are they commiting crimes and getting away with it?  Have they been granted any unfair monopoly powers through regulation and law?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

Have they been granted any unfair monopoly powers through regulation and law?

Have you never heard of patents? http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/saved-seed-farmer-lawsuits.aspx

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Points 1,265
.500NE replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 12:45 PM

[QUOTE="James Greene"]The conclusion that I make is that wall-street, big business and the military industrial complex are absolutely the problem and are, in fact, some of the biggest enemies of free market capitalism.  But the key is to recognize that it is the government that they act through and the government that must be disassembled, not capitalism.[/QUOTE]

Not only should we look at the government that they act through, but we also need to look at the businesses themselves. What it is about thier corporat structure that they act the way they do?

Would a free market remedy those defects, or just provide another venue for those corporate entities to act badly in different ways?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS