Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Wall-E

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785
Telpeurion Posted: Sat, Jun 28 2008 5:17 AM

I actually enjoyed Wall-E, despite it's clear attack on materialism (materialism that isn't caring for plants). Actually, I think the movie defeated it's own premise. It suggests that in the future we will all live on a cruise ship being waited on hand and foot, instant communications, endless food supply, etc.

This sounds great! Compared to the new lifestyle shown at the end of the film of farming (Pointless when you have endless food), and even our lives today, this sounds great.

The cheap shot to defeat our dream life is of course making everyone a big fat dumb lugger... Pathetic. All "cruise ships" have gyms, etc. what is this crap?

The film never answers why people can't dance on the ship... It seems to assume that all humans are a big homogenous group lead by, you guessed it, a big evil monopoly who... What - Is giving the humans free services on board the vessel!

These are all random thoughts, but if you ask me the "big fat lazy" lifestyle presented seems relaxing, and I know for a fact that I would be pretty active running around.

The whole film is criticism without a solution... Going back to nature? There is only one species of plant left! And why the hell would our species want to go back to Earth when there is an entire universe to explore?

This is apparently a Man Talk Forum:  No Women Allowed!

Telpeurion's Disliked Person of the Week: David Kramer

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 83
Points 1,565
solos replied on Sat, Jun 28 2008 4:12 PM

I thought the whole 'consumerism destroying Earth' is too hypocritcal for Steve Jobs. Does anyone know what the newspaper at the beginning said about the enviornment? It seemed really heavy handed.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Sat, Jun 28 2008 5:21 PM

I find it hilarious that people are still predicting an increase in pollution. The earth is dramatically cleaner then it was a century ago, and is getting cleaner all the time.

Peace

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785

solos:

I thought the whole 'consumerism destroying Earth' is too hypocritcal for Steve Jobs. Does anyone know what the newspaper at the beginning said about the enviornment? It seemed really heavy handed.

No, I missed it completely.

This is apparently a Man Talk Forum:  No Women Allowed!

Telpeurion's Disliked Person of the Week: David Kramer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,840
Stolz2525 replied on Mon, Jun 30 2008 12:30 PM

Wall-E sucked.  Not just the completely ridiculous premise of the cruise ship either.  The movie was slow and boring.  You'd be much better of spending money at Kung Foo Panda.

People had figured out a way to make a huge cruise ship capable of carrying the entire population of earth (or maybe just the US) but couldn't figure out how to clean up the mess they had made?

Where were they getting their food from if they weren't growing anything on the ship?

I'm not sure I saw anything through the whole movie that made any sense.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS