Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Media Demonizing Anarchists - "Plot to Blow Up Bridge" - everyone run for your lives!

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Tue, May 1 2012 11:17 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/anarchists-plotted-blow-cleveland-bridge-fbi/story?id=16252571

We all knew it was coming.  We said, its only a matter of time before you see a headline with "Anarchist plots to __________".  And you'd see a picture of several white guys.  All "homegrown".

Well, its here now.  point is, I no longer have any trust in the media or the government.  For all I know this is a government operation, instigated by the FBI or some other known terrorist group, reported by the media as anarchists.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, May 1 2012 11:29 AM

Just an FYI - a lot of people still associate the word "anarchist" with "communist".  This was one of Rothbard's original objections to adopting the term anarchist.  After reading the article, it appears that these men were of the communist variety, not the capitalist.  It's annoying, but the media is actually using the term as most people understand it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Who cares?  This shit happens all the time.  However, this is the basic reason why we cannot use black flags; gotsta have that gold in there.

We need only regard them as "chaos-ists" not anarchists.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Wright and Baxter also discussed trying to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank in Cleveland.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • Wright and Baxter also discussed trying to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank in Cleveland.

Interesting...

Just heard about this on the radio.  My first instinct was to wonder whether this was some kind of entrapment case like we've seen in the past with the islamic terror suspects.  That is, the powers that be find some people who they suspect might be candidates for terrorist activities, and then provoke or incentivize them to radicalize and attempt a violent act.  I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.  Given that the article seems to hint that thier intitial plans only involved tearing down bank signs.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Wright and Baxter also discussed trying to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank in Cleveland.

It is not us.

And as Thoreau said,

"It was his [John Brown's] peculiar doctrine that a man has a perfect right to interfere by force with the slaveholder, in order to rescue the slave. I agree with him. They who are continually shocked by slavery have some right to be shocked by the violent death of the slaveholder, but no others. Such will be more shocked by his life than by his death. I shall not be forward to think him mistaken in his method who quickest succeeds to liberate the slave. I speak for the slave when I say that I prefer the philanthropy of Captain Brown to that philanthropy which neither shoots me nor liberates me...I do not wish to kill nor to be killed... We preserve the so-called peace of our community by deeds of petty violence every day. Look at the policeman's billy and handcuffs! Look at the jail! Look at the gallows! Look at the chaplain of the regiment! We are hoping only to live safely on the outskirts of this provisional army. So we defend ourselves and our hen-roosts, and maintain slavery. I know that the mass of my countrymen think that the only righteous use that can be made of Sharp's rifles and revolvers is to fight duels with them, when we are insulted by other nations, or to hunt Indians, or shoot fugitive slaves with them, or the like. I think that for once the Sharp's rifles and the revolvers were employed in a righteous cause. The tools were in the hands of one who could use them."

A Plea for Captain John Brown

Is it even worth it for us to condemn them?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

The G20 vandals identified as anarchists.  That is why I normally don't identify as such.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

It's funny you should bring this up, as I was just about to bump a thread to add this point from Robert Wenzel about using the term "anarchist"...

Mob of 'Anarchists' Attack Starbucks

FoxNews is reporting on what it dubs a mob of "anarchists" attacking a Starbucks.

This is the problem with libertarians identifying themselves as anarchists, the term is legitimately used by those identifying attacks on private property, since dictionaries across the board list one definition of anarchists as those who advocate disorder in society.

Any libertarian, who is anti-state, would accomplish much more by identifying himself as being an "advocate of a private property society" or "property person" for short.

The comments provide some interesting discussion.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

So, an anarchist is anyone who either, "seeks to overturn by violence all constituted forms and institutions of society and government" or "excites revolt against any established rule, law, or custom."

Terrorism: "The unlawful use [=D for irony] or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons."

Those definitions put virtually any non politically motivated action gets you labeled an anarchist. But, if it is politically motivated action, then you are a terrorist.

I feel like the philosoraptor would be useful for this.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 76
Points 1,215

If you add the qualifier "philosophical" to "anarchist", it effectively domesticates it.

In any case, the President might use the term "liberal" or "democrat" or "progressive" or whatever to describe his ideology, such as it is.  He also orders the military to blow people up.  The military under Obama has destroyed more lives and property than those idiot "anarchists" could ever hope to in their wildest dreams.  Are "liberals/democrats/progressives" all in favour of blowing people up?

I feel there's a tremendous double-standard here. cheeky

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." - Sir Humphrey Appleby
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, May 3 2012 2:55 PM

Usage dictates meaning, not etymology. While the roots of "anarchy" mean "no government", it is silly and naive to stubbornly insist on using the label for its etymological meaning despite its contrary usage. Capitalism has a similar usage problem (popular usage means something closer to crony-capitalism or mercantilism) but at least its use in economics is specialized and, therefore, distinct from the popular usage.

I think the best label is antistate. To refer to the ideology, antistatism which is directly opposed to statism. The language of the debate is still somewhat open to revision because this is not an issue that has seriously reached the public consciousness. No one thinks about anti-government in terms of a serious, principled position advocating careful, measured, respectful, thoughtful, peaceful drawdown of all government monopolies without exception (even law and regional defense0 combined with liberalization of the monopolized goods and services to allow the market in the production of those goods and services time to develop.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800

gamma_rat:
Are "liberals/democrats/progressives" all in favour of blowing people up?

Maybe, maybe not.  What matters is not whether or not they want to blow people up but WHO they want to blow up.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS