Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Moral Nihilism Explored

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,600
Ancap66 Posted: Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:57 PM

This is an interesting thread that appeared on the FDR board a while ago.

http://board.freedomainradio.com/forums/t/29310.aspx?PageIndex=1

Objective truth and objective morality are two different things. Any claim/argument implies logically consistency, but this is irrelevant as to whether or not you must prefer a certain way of drinking tea. You could say that drinking tea is preferred by the vast majority of people and is necessary for weaving the social fabric of society. Does that mean there is an imperative that each person should drink tea? No. To say that a behavior is morally 'right' or 'wrong' is a subjective perspective no different from an aesthetic judgement.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 11:00 PM

1. Economics Is A Value-Free Science | by Jörg Guido Hülsmann

2. Crusoe, Morality, and Axiomatic Libertarianism

Morality playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA7FF865D89D7720C

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 1:04 AM

My Thoughts: HereHere. Here. Here. Here.

Moral nihilism is ridiculous. So is UPB.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 1:49 AM

Nihilism is something which I have gained an increasingly thorough understanding and appreciation for. Basically it comes down to the fact that moral nihilism is a perfectly accurate description of the world in absence of an acting individual, but a perfectly inaccurate description of a world in which individuals. That is to say that there are no inherent values within the world, and this is reflected in the subjectivity of human values. Insofar as moral nihilism is describing this it is entirely correct, there is no inherent morality in the world.

However, this does not mean that man should not act. One's definition of what specific values lead to a "should" are entirely subjective, that is to say that morality exists through us and it is infinite in its scope. My will, my value about what I consider to be a more perfect vision of the world is what I perceive as good, for  me it is what ought to be, and is therefore equivalent to a moral judgment. 

The only inherent morality which all men hold is the praxeological ethic, the need to satisfy their own value preferences and achieve the highest level of satisfaction based upon their values, but this means that for any individual the world is inherently a moral won. I know exactly how the world should be because for me, I am the source of value, I am a moral free agent. My world, and the world of every individual is a moral one, no matter how nihilistic they might be.

The concept of a value free ethic is contradictory, one must adopt values in order to pass any sort of judgment on a state of affairs, the closest thing to an objective moral analysis which can be undergone is a praxeological examination of an issue, but even then this must examine the value judgments of individuals. 

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 76
Points 1,215
gamma_rat replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 7:19 AM

You could say that drinking tea is preferred by the vast majority of people and is necessary for weaving the social fabric of society. Does that mean there is an imperative that each person should drink tea?  No.

Why, would that be morally wrong?

If I go into a tea house, and ask for a pot of tea, and they give me a pot of diarrhea, I will break it over their head.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." - Sir Humphrey Appleby
Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,600
Ancap66 replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 10:58 AM

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy shows that moral nihilism is a theory to be reckoned with:

• Since moral nihilists question all of our beliefs in moral wrongness, they leave us with no starting points on which to base arguments against them without begging the question at issue.
  • If nothing is morally wrong, as moral nihilists claim, then it is not morally wrong to torture babies just for fun. So, according to the general principle above, one must be able to rule out moral nihilism in order to be justified in believing that torturing babies just for fun is morally wrong.
  • [Moral nihilism could] be ruled out by logic and semantics alone. However, moral nihilism does seem consistent and meaningful, according to all plausible theories of moral language, including expressivism, realism, and constructivism (Sinnott-Armstrong 2006, chap. 3).
  • [Moral nihilism could] be ruled out by arguments with only non-moral premises. However, all such attempts to cross the dreaded is-ought gap are questionable (Sinnott-Armstrong 2006, chaps. 7-8).
  • However, just as it would beg the question to use common beliefs about the external world to rule out a deceiving demon hypothesis, so it would also beg the question to argue against moral nihilism on the basis of common moral beliefs — no matter how obvious those beliefs might seem to us, and no matter how well these common beliefs cohere together (Sinnott-Armstrong 2006, chaps. 9-10).
  • If consequentialism is absurd or incoherent, as some critics argue, and if deontological restrictions and permissions are mysterious and unfounded, as their opponents argue, then some people might believe moral nihilism for reasons similar to those that led scientists to reject phlogiston.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 11:16 AM

Moral judgements are value judgements. Hence, like all other value judgements, moral judgements are subjective. Hence they can't be proven right or wrong. They can only be accepted or rejected. What that means is that moral judgements cannot be advanced as conclusions using either deductive or inductive reasoning. Rather, they can only be advanced as premises to other deductive or inductive conclusions.

Does that make me a moral nihilist? It depends on the definition of "moral nihilist" one uses. cheeky

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,600
Ancap66 replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 12:00 PM

The only inherent morality which all men hold is the praxeological ethic, the need to satisfy their own value preferences and achieve the highest level of satisfaction based upon their values, but this means that for any individual the world is inherently a moral won. I know exactly how the world should be because for me, I am the source of value, I am a moral free agent. My world, and the world of every individual is a moral one, no matter how nihilistic they might be. - Neodoxy

My difference in opinion to this is semantic, so I agree. Basically, do as you damn well please and take the consequences.

Why, would that be morally wrong? - gamma-rat

My whimsical preference indicates that it is not.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 12:05 PM

Autolykos:

Moral judgements are value judgements. Hence, like all other value judgements, moral judgements are subjective. Hence they can't be proven right or wrong. They can only be accepted or rejected. What that means is that moral judgements cannot be advanced as conclusions using either deductive or inductive reasoning. Rather, they can only be advanced as premises to other deductive or inductive conclusions.

QFT.

+1

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS