Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Real Music

rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem Posted: Tue, Jun 19 2012 12:53 AM

This thread is for real music. Music that doesn't promote things you hear on the radio or TV or in movies or any establishment outlets in general. Music that sounds good, made by talented artists. I only have 2 artists to contribute, so I'm posting this thread partly in hopes of finding more artists.

Roy Shivers - 911 Inside Job

Roy Shivers - Ron Paul For The Long Haul

Roy Shivers - Bush's Brain

Roy Shivers - Less Is More

Roy Shivers - Naming Names Part 2

Roy Shivers - Wide Stance

Roy Shivers - Clinton's Coke

Roy Shivers - Fort Meade

Roy Shivers - Maze

Roy Shivers - What You Think

Ryan Harvey - Peace, Justice And Anarchy

Ryan Harvey - Global Economy

Ryan Harvey - Tea Party

Ryan Harvey - My Country

Ryan Harvey - Ordinary Heroes

Ryan Harvey - Coming For The Captain

Ryan Harvey - The Times They Are Not A-Changin'

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Chumbawamba- Tubthumping

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 1:10 AM

OldGuy, really? That's a radio song...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I know it doesn't bash the state or promote Ron Paul, but I think it's music 'that sounds good.' And besides, that's not a radio song. This is a radio song:

REM- Radio Song

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 1:31 AM

LOL... K, I thought I was pretty clear, so what I mean is a thread for music you will never hear on the radio, tv, movies, or any establishment outlet. Music that both sounds good and is made by clearly talented artists. Everyone and their dog has heard tubthumper, all the teenyboppers were listening to it when I was in middle school. Whereas, songs like I posted are relevant. :)

As I mentioned, a major factor in me starting this thread was that I'm looking for quality music that explicitly lacks establishment themes, from artists who do not make appearances on radio, tv, movies, or other establishment outlets.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Mmmkay. I've heard this song only once on the radio and it was in the middle of nowhere in a different state. Here goes take two:

Steve Earle- Satellite Radio

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

[view:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4Dbl0vZ54]

[view:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMe6v3ePk88&feature=player_embedded]

yes

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

Ok so I don't know how to embed youtube videos lol.  I tried looking it up but was getting nothing in the search function.

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Try taking out the s in https in the URL of each vid--maybe that'll do something. For help, see John James' thread here and regard "Embed YouTube."

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 435

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

Last try

and 

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

One of my favs

"Gimme something to die for America....until then don't bother me.  I'm ashamed of you America, how you convinced me we were free and I take that personally!"

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

If you watch any of these, make it number eight.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 2,945

The Piano Guys

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 1:10 PM

I second Chumbawamba. I don't like to mix art and politics, I think it's a contradiction... art is the pursuit of beauty and politics is the destruction of beauty. Even lamenting or protesting politics makes ugly art (again, a contradiction).

I'm a classical music buff so when you say "real music" I hear something entirely different. :-P

I'll just post one example to maybe woo some folks deeper into classical music:

Try listening while looking at this.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

art is the pursuit of beauty and politics is the destruction of beauty. Even lamenting or protesting politics makes ugly art (again, a contradiction).

This is going a little far...

I'm not sure I understand how you conclude "art is xxx" and "politics is yyy."  

As far as I know, art mimics life in all capacities even politics.

Politics seems to be many things, but in its universal (where it is everwhere and always)l it is the use of rhetoric and then, failing that, power.  Like a father in a family.  Or a God to its creations...politics is as organic as any other subjective value preference based social science...

Even if man converted the entire Earth to steel and concrete while merging themselves with technology, it would still be natural.  Even if politics is what is seemingly the prime motivator.

Even lamenting or protesting politics makes ugly art

Then when you've created a generation of people who cannot percieve politics in a light heart, what will the world look like.  Brooding, unhappy people ignorant as to the things that bind them into their own society.  Politics will be even more distant and unknown (despite its own proliferation, hmmm) to the people subjected to it.

There is ugly art.  That which is thoughtless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 5:02 PM

Clayton:

I'm a classical music buff so when you say "real music" I hear something entirely different. :-P

Just for you:

Okay, I give up trying to embed the first video.  It is this:

Jussi Björling - É la solita storia

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 5:16 PM

I'm not sure I understand how you conclude "art is xxx" and "politics is yyy."  

By looking at human nature. There are aspects of art (symmetry, rotational/translatioanl patterns, imitation of nature, etc) that are present in every culture where art has been found. This tells us that there is something "hardwired" in the brain that is responsible for these artistic preoccupations. You can read more on my views of aesthetics here (though I would want to slightly modify some of the things I wrote then, especially in my arguments with I.Ryan. If I could draw it down to one sentence: the enjoyment of art is subjective but not arbitrary.

Clayton -

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 462
Points 9,480
mustang19 replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 6:49 PM

This tells us that there is something "hardwired" in the brain that is responsible for these artistic preoccupations.

That's just your opinion, man.

I can contribute.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:03 PM

Well, it is my opinion. But it also happens to be the case, too.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

I like the Dante's Inferno raps.  They're a little midi lol, but pretty cool

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 10:44 PM

Clayton:
I second Chumbawamba.

Clayton's on my team. Shake and--

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 11:00 PM

Danny Boyyyy, Danny Boyyyy, Danny Boyoyyyyyyy I GET KNOCKED DOWN...

Actually, just hearing that song makes my arms feel sore... I was going to the boxing gym during the late 90's when you couldn't get away from that song and that was of course on the workout mix tape along with Eye of the Tiger and other assorted boxer's favorites.

Clayton -

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:18 AM

mustang19:

I can contribute.

This thread almost crashed my computer, so that's a small victory for the anti-establishment, I think. I don't have time to listen to it all at the moment but thanks everyone for contributing and keep em coming if you have more. Was able to listen to that one from Mustang19 and it was really good.

Anyone check out the Roy Shivers songs I posted? Someone tell me what you think of Bush's Brain.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:23 AM

@gotlucky: Nice Ravel... also check out his Tzigane, it's absoultely breath-taking. Maxim Vengerov's rendition is compelling.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:40 AM

Clayton:
Danny Boyyyy, Danny Boyyyy, Danny Boyoyyyyyyy I GET KNOCKED DOWN...

I don't think I could have started the day any better than by reading the above.

I was looking for 'Bake.' Bake. In response to this prompt:

Shake and--

If we're gonna be teammates, we gotta get our catchphrase down.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

This is an awesome rap:

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I'm a little confused on what to post. Do I post something that's pro-liberty, or just good music?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

I'm a little confused on what to post. Do I post something that's pro-liberty, or just good music?

This thread is for real music. Music that doesn't promote things you hear on the radio or TV or in movies or any establishment outlets in general. Music that sounds good, made by talented artists.

Those are the instructions from the OP.

What is really interesting is if the rules we follow in life are arbitrary and unjustifiable or are based on rational belief or if rational belief is what we base the creation of rules on...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Yes but I'm just a little confused about when he says music that doesn't promote things you hear through various establishments. Does this mean I can't post anything that you could hear on a radio, or on a movie, or on television?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Okay, I'll just post music that I think sounds good.

Oh yeah, and I just have to throw this one in:

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Wow no one?

Econstories?

Cmon guys....

Immortal technique:

fuck tha police

Skyclad

Parliament of fools...

So much more from skyclad tho...

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 7:25 PM

Quoting The Enemy of the State Himself:

Clayton -

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

I like folk metal.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ kelvin silva

Please. Listen to the music I posted.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Ur music is meh.

Listen to the first econ stories one.

I memorized the rap, so if i ever debate a keynsian in front of class about the business cycle ill just rap and own hiim.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Meh?

MEH?

MEHHHH!?!?!?!

But seriously, I've already heard the EconStories one.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Rap News on surveillence.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

wwwatching...

i see what they did there..!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

But seriously, how could you not enjoy something as elegant and as evocative as Mystline? You REALLY didn't enjoy it?

Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS