Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Barclays Scandal?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95
ahall12 Posted: Thu, Jul 5 2012 4:08 PM

So I keep hearing about this particular scandal of the English bank on NPR every morning on my drive. The only bit of information I've heard from them is that the bank was fined for manipulating/fixing interest rates. They never mention whether they fixed the interest rates too high or too low, but the general idea I'm getting is they fixed interest rates too high in an attempt to gain solvency and that is why they're being demonized. I have yet to read up on it online as I have sparse time, but is that basically all there is to this story?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

London banks were "fixing" the London Inter-Bank Offered Rate.

Liberals seem to want to jump on it more because it is in the private market and they can attach it to the Adustable Rate Mortgage scandal; a tug at the publics heart type deal.

The Biggest Financial Scam In World History

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 12:23 PM

This whole scandal which has grown beyond Barclays is simply an example of what happens when you have regulated businesses.  That is the businesses control the regulators who run things and when the businesses behave badly, instead of having them lose customers like the rest of us, these businesses just pay a fine, really a bribe, to allow them to continue to play in the regulated banks win, or tax payers and currency holders lose world.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS