Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Mises Circle in Manhattan

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee Posted: Tue, Jul 10 2012 7:55 PM

http://mises.org/events/168/Mises-Circle-in-Manhattan-Sponsored-by-The-Story-Garschina-Charitable-Fund-and-Anonymous-Donor

Has anyone here attended one of these Mises Circle Seminars?  What is the atmosphere like?  What type of crowds am I looking at?  I live about 20 miles away in NJ.  Considering taking a vacation day to attend.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I'm considering attending. This'll be my first seminar if that is the case.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

If you haven't been to one, you should definitely go.  The atmosphere is great.  An outsider would just assume it's kind of a casual business lunch, but the attendees are all Austrians, of course.  You instantly know you're among friends.  It's also a bit diverse, as you'll have, professional types, dressed kind of nice, and then some of the more casual guys...some even in t-shirts (although they're usually anti-state t-shirts in one form or another).  Wide age range too.  You get the old timers, who've been around the libertarian circuit for a while...Rothbard types...old guys who think the whole State is ridiculous, but also quite a bit of young folks, which is great to see and promising.  They're typically your college Ron Paul folks, most of whom are either young and curious and hungry, or incredibly knowledgeable and passionate.  Go-getter types.  Decent number of entrepreneurial-inclined.

Sometimes there'll be a group from some young libertarian organization or another...Students for Liberty or some group from a local university.

And the events are nice.  The Institute does a great job of catering to the attendees and they always have good handout material and usually a book supply on hand for people to purchase titles while at the event.  (Of course the supply is largely made up of the titles authored by the speakers for that event, and they usually set up a way to get your copies autographed).

And of course the talks are great.  You can always view them online later, but it's certainly different being there in person, not only to hear the talk live, but to meet the speakers, and share in discussion with like-minded individuals.

It definitely accomplishes the goal of providing a meeting place for Austro-libertarians to gather and meet each other, discuss topics with other people who have actually read the authors you have, and remind each of us that we're not alone...that there are plenty others out there fighting the good fight, even if just in their own personal sphere of influence.

I definitely recommend it, especially if you're so close.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 9:41 PM

I was trying to sign up a few days a ago and ran into a snag.  I am not a member of LVMI.  Is it possible to check off both the membership ($50) and the seminar member rate ($110)? on the same page?  It looks like I can because the total updates.  Or is it recommended I sign up separately for a membership, then sign-up for the seminar?  

I want to avoid billing issues.  I'll probably call the institute up to make sure.  But I wanted to run it by the forum folks.  I do not mind bumping this thread too being that it is coming up soon.  :)  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 9:40 PM

I went to the Circle in Manhattan.  It was a great experience.  :)  I enjoyed it immensley.  I wish they held more in the tri-state area.  :)  Did anyone else go here?  I wish they held the Q&A longer.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:23 PM

Wibee:
I went to the Circle in Manhattan.  It was a great experience.  :)  I enjoyed it immensley.

What'd I tell ya?

I wish they held more in the tri-state area.  :)

Mark your calendar...

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:11 PM

There was/is another event on saturday and today with Rockwell and Block at Columbia U.  I think it is just Dr. Block today.  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 5:57 PM

How long before the seminars usually get uploaded to youtube/mises.org?  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Usually depends mostly on how much content there was, and how much of it was video recorded.  (Those take longer to edit and master).  Could be a couple weeks, could be a month.

The Mises University lectures started finding their way onto YouTube relatively soon after, but they were released one by one (probably as each one was done.)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS