Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Obama Tells Entrepreneurs “You Didn’t Build” Your Business

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
PMpockets replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 4:07 AM

Obama claiming people can't be productive without the state because the state has built this and provided that is akin to someone kidnapping your child and then saying that the child's ability to read and write is due to the kidnapper because they taught the child. 

We all know that societies can build greater wealth than a single man, but just because a certain portion of that society takes things from you and does things with it that they strongly discourage others from doing, whether by force or by dminishing their capital, doesn't mean that since we're forced to utilize those ill-gotten gains that we owe them even more!

If Obama's gang of thugs are so productive and so essential, why does he find it necessary to take our wealth in order to get his thuggy work done? If they're so wonderful and so needed, let them build their utopia on their own. We'd quickly see a replication of some backward African tribe or an inflationary spiral like Zimbabwe. Has it ever occured to Obama to question the reason why his Kenyan homeland is still in 6,000 BC?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 4:07 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation#History

By the time ofJustinian (reigned 527-565), Roman Law recognized a range of corporate entities under the namesuniversitascorpus or collegium.

Sounds like corporate entities already existed and came to be 'recognized'. IOW, they must have existed before they were recognized by state law.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 8:14 AM

"Sounds like corporate entities already existed and came to be 'recognized'. IOW, they must have existed before they were recognized by state law." - Excel

Generally speaking I'd say this is correct.  One constant I've noticed in government stooges and central planners is that they have no new ideas, they just look at what other people have done and think they can do it better.  You see these busy body types in every company, spending barely enough time working to justify their salary and the rest of the time gossiping and rumor mongering about 'management' and how horribly they run things.  Never of course acknowledging that the existence of their very job is the result of such horrible management.  The government stooge merely takes this attitude to the next level, pulls out a gun and insists on making things 'better' whether people want their 'help' or not.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 11:05 AM

John James:
Looks like he's playing the bullshit Elizabeth Warren card.  As usual, Peter Schiff was right on the money

heh...Cato remembers

What I find most interesting about this is how this incident is seeming to push the dialogue in a much more voluntarist direction.  Listen to how this guy literally comes out and almost outright says multiple times that government isn't necessary.  Perhaps more talk like this Obama/Warren nonsense (which we also saw in the links at the bottom of this post) can be good...in that it will entice more pushback, and cause more people to come out and start admitting how unnecessary the State really is...

Obama's 'Elizabeth Warren Moment' (Aaron Ross Powell)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 2:35 PM

"Sounds like corporate entities already existed and came to be 'recognized'. IOW, they must have existed before they were recognized by state law." -

that's a different context than the current understanding of a usa commercial corporation and the rights it has from government.

bodies of people did exist, but not bodies of people with the same rights and privileges from the government as in today's usa corporations.

different definitions and contexts for corporations exist, but i think it needs to be a certain definition and context to really apply to the current situation of government sanctioned commercial corporations.

did a corporation, with all the legal rights of a corporation currently held, exist before legal rights were recognized and existed?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 3:27 PM

PMpockets:

if this guy gets into office again and doesnt have to worry about re-election, theres no telling what he's capable of. Any of you guys have any ideas or speculation on this?

Historically, democracy has always resulted in tyranny. The USA's democracy limited by law merely extended how long that took to happen, but the result will be no different, and I see no current either of thought or ideology that is likely to do anything more than forestall that outcome. The worse things get the easier it is to install a dictator. That's the rub.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Jul 19 2012 12:46 PM

You knew PJTV wasn't gonna skip over this one.

Interestingly, he actually does introduce an intriguing angle, supported by some interesting points...

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

Really, it's like saying if you built your business, it's because of the atmosphere - you know, since we all need air to breath.

Obama and his ilk don't understand that a business is greater than the sum of its parts. I can throw some hammers, ladders, nails, and other tools in a van, but that doesn't mean I have a carpentry business.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Page 2 of 2 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS