Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Looking for feedback on this inflation video

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
3 Posts
Points 75
Dan posted on Sun, Aug 12 2012 12:05 PM

I am trying to embed this video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PdAEwGZU0Q

but it won't stay in the post.  I tried to use the youtube embed code and I tried it with an Iframe.  Not sure how to include it.

If you have any ideas on how I could improve this video it would be appreciated.  Thanks!

My other economics videos are here.

http://www.squidoo.com/austrian-economics

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Not Ranked
Male
3 Posts
Points 75
Dan replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 6:39 PM

Do you know how to embed the video?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355

[ view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PdAEwGZU0Q ] without spaces.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Suggested by Malachi

Since you specifically asked for feedback, I'm gonna give you my thoughts.

1) The sound is pretty bad.  I fully realize you might not have better equipment and you may very well not care and have no interest to invest in a decent microphone, but you asked for feedback.  It's a little tough to make out what you're saying without turning the volume louder than it should have to go, simply because the audio is of such bad quality that despite being able to hear it, the language is made somewhat unintelligible.  So this can turn a significant number of potential viewers off.  You will lose views unnecessarily.

Again, I fully realize you may not care, I'm just offering the feedback.

2) I think you should come up with a different term to replace "social contract".  This is a terrible term that refers to a non-existent, oxymoronic idea, that somehow a contract can exist where no agreement was made. If you're referring to simply not paying out promised payments from so-called "entitlement programs", then you might go ahead and say that: break "entitlement" promises.

Other than that, I'd say it's a pretty good video.  You explain an important concept in a way that I haven't quite seen before, using the matrix of money, pp, goods.  My only other concern is that it's just too long to be as dry as it is.  You generally want videos like this to not be longer than half that time.  You can get away with making them longer, if they're engaging and compelling enough — but with your simple setup here of a couple of bare-bones Power Point slides, and just you off-the-cuff narrating (with low quality audio), it's a bit rough to sit through.

One quick and easy way to lighten it up a bit would be to add some lite background music.  This may prove more difficult than it should be, as you may have trouble finding the right balance between the volume of the two audio tracks (your narration and the music), since it's not as easy to understand your narration as it should be.  But this might be something you could try.

You might also consider taking your current monologue and using it to flesh out a more focused script, so as to cut the time runtime down.  I'm not suggesting you should have specific lines that you recite verbatim (although if you're good enough to write a script that sounds conversational enough, and you can perform it well enough, that might be an option)...but at least have a more tightly focused monologue that you can use to make sure you get the point across as succinctly and briefly as possible.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS