Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Battle

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 455
Confessed posted on Mon, Sep 24 2012 6:19 PM

Basically i posted a thread about the new Honduras private city. If you have not seen, see link. 

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09/11/private-city-in-honduras-will-have-minimal-taxes-government/

Basically ive recieved responses such as:

less government = less police good luck fellas

-Hayek can suck a dick - Austrian Economics is just wrong, through and through. I'm currently writing a paper on collective perception in markets, should show how much of a douche AET is.

-it's not really a free market experience. You are taking people who made their money in different markets, and dropping a boatload of cash into an area. 

It's like saying "I can win monopoly without money or collecting from passing GO" when you already have hotels on all the blues, greens, and yellows.

You won't know if it succeeds or not until 60 or so years when someone is born, doesn't get help from his/her parents, and we can see how far they get by time they are middle aged.

Any thoughts on this? 

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
666 Posts
Points 13,120

The last criticism is good.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
less government = less police good luck fellas
ask him if he went to public school and thats why he doesnt know about private police. then tell him about private police.
Hayek can suck a dick - Austrian Economics is just wrong, through and through. I'm currently writing a paper on collective perception in markets, should show how much of a douche AET is.
ask him if he is even capable of making a g-rated argument.
-it's not really a free market experience. You are taking people who made their money in different markets, and dropping a boatload of cash into an area. 
this is kind of true, depending on the laws in the private city.
You won't know if it succeeds or not until 60 or so years when someone is born, doesn't get help from his/her parents, and we can see how far they get by time they are middle aged.
why is that somehow the only way to know if we like living in a free society better or not?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

The last three criticisms aren't all that bad. This is not a good experiment as scientific proof. It might be a good economic idea, but still not a proof that capitalism will work. It's an exception, after all.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 455

haha Here is a response to you guys, never once brought yall up

As for the Austrians, they'd forgo rapid resource allocation and the exponential improvements in our living standards since the Industrial Revolution just to avoid a few recessions. Fuck that. I'm not living in medieval squalor based on fear of relatively brief periods of economic contraction.

Scurry back to a Mises/Hayek forum and debate the virtues of AET with a couple of other shut-ins that read The Road to Serfdom and now think they're economic scholars.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

hahaahahahahah

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 455

I was saying Austrian economist predicted most of the economic collapse happening. 

A response from a Rogan board member same one as above^^^:No they didn't. They just predict there will be business cycles including downturns in general. Which is met with a major, "No shit!" Not exactly predictive when Keynes himself said this shit would happen and provided a solution for it, i.e. counter-cyclical stimulus and austerity (both monetary and fiscal). Don't blame him that our politicians are fuck heads that can't follow through which then forces the central banks to act less conservatively than they'd like. Keynesian philosophy is sound, the people are flawed. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
"resource allocation" is a euphemism. Its actually cronyism. Debate the merits of the king and his friends getting to make money while everyone else has to work for it.

I'm not living in medieval squalor based on fear of relatively brief periods of economic contraction.
but what happens when you have to move out of your parents basement and all the entry-level jobs are gone because of crony capitalists outsourcing labor overseas and minimum wage is $16/hr?

No they didn't. They just predict there will be business cycles including downturns in general. Which is met with a major, "No shit!" Not exactly predictive when Keynes himself said this shit would happen and provided a solution for it, i.e. counter-cyclical stimulus and austerity (both monetary and fiscal). Don't blame him that our politicians are fuck heads that can't follow through which then forces the central banks to act less conservatively than they'd like. Keynesian philosophy is sound, the people are flawed. 
link to the wikis of austrians who made successful predictions. There is a mises wiki. Tell him that economic policy needs to be designed for people who exist, not theoretical people who make different decisions.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 455

Genius i like your style 

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 455

Lets see what he says 

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 455

So i recieve a response from an earlier poster. The same poster who said F*** Hayek. 

Basically i asked what books has he read by Hayek or any dealing with Austrian Economics. 

His response:Road to serfdom and individualism and economic order. I do not disagree with everything he says, but I am not a fan of AET. I'm studying towards a degree in PPE and as such have come into contact with his work on several occasions. But I'm not thoroughly versed in all of his works. Just the basic logical constructs etc.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

Hayek is not the only austrian economist to read from.

Theres always rothbard and mises, and many many others. bob murphy, tom woods, etc.

Tell him to expand his views before making an assertion.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
274 Posts
Points 5,675

Hayek's a good introductory economist, but Mises and Rothbard are far more rigorous in their theories.

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

From what I get out of this private city business, it seems like it's the exact equivelent of a Special Administrative Region of China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Administrative_Region

I honestly don't think I'd see the difference between HK and Macau and these private cities.

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 455

Thanks guys for your help

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS