Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Not completely hopeless, we could build pyramids.

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart Posted: Thu, Sep 27 2012 10:15 AM

From Yahoo News:

Obama proposals to cut defense spending, Ryan said, would scale back missile defense and directly cost Colorado almost 18,000 jobs.

My comment was:

I have a better solution. Why not find a dry place near a river in Arizona, Nevada or California and construct the largest pyramids in the world, then get the dudes who preserved Lenin or just use the old Egyptian methods and mummify the corpses of the last 20 or so dead presidents. That way we can waste all of the money, provide no extra security and create a tourist destination for people 1200 years from now.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 11:59 AM

or not so dead presidents.

I second this.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Very good plan. Muy bueno.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 10:27 PM

I reworded that part.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 10:28 PM

Would you like me to reword my post too? I'll do it if you prefer that.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Krugman would approve.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 760
Maynard replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 12:03 AM

Not to de-rail your thread but something bugs me. The picture of the Great Pyramids with the meme "slavery gets shit done"*. I'd like to make a meme saying "capitalism gets bigger shit done" with a picture of the Empire State Building. As far as I know it wasn't State financed** and was built in a little over a year. Amazing, considering a simple 50 foot bridge over a creek now takes 2 years to build. The pyramids took 20 years each to build IIRC. Though the times were obviously different, I think people would get the message that contractual, voluntary economies produce better than slave-based ones do. I guess you could say compare NE and SE US economies antebellum for this relation, but I just thought of that pyramid meme when I saw the title of this thread.

/thread de-railment

*Which is disputed, BTW.

**Though I wouldn't be surpised if he made much of his money from State subsidy of some sort or another.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 12:25 AM

I think the historical/archaeological evidence indicates that the Pyramids were built contractually. While there was slavery in Egypt, it is not likely that the Pharaoh himself kept battalions of slaves, as often depicted by Hollywood... it would be inefficient and an unnecessary headache.

Furthermore, I've always taken the meaning of that meme to be satirical, like, "Yeah, maybe you can build Pyramids with a bunch of slaves but what use are those, really, and isn't it kind of grotesque to enslave people just so you can build gigantic monuments to your supposed greatness?"

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350
Aristippus replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 12:36 AM

The vast majority of Egyptians were serfs and owed corvee labour to the state.  The income of the state, of course, came from taxation (or rent on royal estates), so even where craftsmen were paid, the source of such payment came from forced expropriation.  Thus I don't think it's inaccurate to say that the construction of the pyramids relied on slavery.  Nozick's tale of the slave covers this.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 2:54 PM

Well you derailed it.  Yes of course there was an ugly side to the construction of the useless Great Pyramids.  There is also an ugly side to the US Federal Government just spending other peoples wealth on things that will never be used.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 3:25 PM

Pyramids aren't an American thing, though.  We need a Shrine of American (would say "Temple of" but that would make it sound religious and then wouldn't get government funding).  The entrance would be influenced by Buddhist temples, but instead of statues of two spirits standing on the sides of the door to scare off unwanted people, it'll be two huge bald eagles coming at you, 20 feet tall eagles here, not including their foundations.  When you get through the actual door (which will be huge and American), you enter the next room, which again is 4 or statues of Americans.  These statues will be 2 to a side, and facing one another, so as you're walking past you can feel the spirit of Washington and Jefferson looking down at you, judging your Americana levels.  Could do as many as you want, and these will be like 20 to 30 feet tall, those involved of the birth of Americanism.  You'll enter a circular room that leads to different hallways of various presidents.  Each president gets their own tomb room, of course.  I figure we could do 5 tombs a corridor, and of course extra corridors for extra presidents.  The room will be oval, of course, and opposite wall you'll have stairs on both sides leading up to the middle, where again another American thing will be screaming/staring down at you in it's 20 foot marble form.  There will be a second floor of Americana, where various historical and folk legends are then Americanized for the 21st century.  A statue of Davy Crocket ripped like he did P90x before there was P90x standing on a foundation of dead animals and people who just weren't American enough for when America was just learning to walk.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 4:15 PM

Welcome to Amerika:

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 1,490
Loppu replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 1:07 PM

"That way we can waste all of the money, provide no extra security and create a tourist destination for people 1200 years from now."

This is exactly the problem with you selfish libertarians: you don't care about other people! Just think how nice it would be to have pyramid as a tourist destination near your own home. But instead of doing nice altruistic act like building those pyramids, you just want to use the money yourself.

Ok, I know I'm not very good when it comes to joking in English.sad

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:53 PM

Don't worry, that was pretty good :)

replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 11:08 PM

October 18, double AF1 godfather Bruce Kilgore hailed as the history of the Nike Air Max 90 ultra-luxury version of the Nike Air Max Force 1 Lux 07, the selection of 100% natural alligator as a raw material, carefully crafted handmade by Italian craftsmen, the most surprising signage and shoe buckles are 18K gold material. Of course, as the highlight of the 25th anniversary of the pricing reached the unprecedented 16,000 yuan, also issued the highest price paid for a Nike Air Max pair of shoes sold in China.

Japanese fashion brand UNDERCOVER, together with the sports giant Nike to create a joint series of “inverse go” GYAKUSOU, combined with functional jogging apparel, as well as a unique sense of fashion design, can tide jogging, 2012 of Fall / Winter Air Max 2012 this series continues , the essential multifunctional jogging shoes still can see the back, respectively, to create a special version of the Nike Free 3.0 v4, LunarSpeed Lite and other shoes. http://www.nikeairmax90hotsale.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 5:28 PM

Our "pyramids" is known as the Moon Landing.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS