Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** October 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 310 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 340

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwz0BYqOhMI

At about 33:20 Rotbard mentions that the Mises Institute was contacted by the Chinese embassy. They were looking for ways to "desocialize" and the Mises institute was one of the first places they looked.. interesting.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

havent seen anyone mention this.  it was just posted to my facebook feed...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2012/09/29/the-greatest-thinker-youve-never-read-ludwig-von-mises/

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 11:15 AM

Grant, he's a prominent libertarian :P

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 1:31 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Jolly good words from Ron Paul.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 1:36 AM

A YouTube playlist I compiled as a tribute to free market, cities and peaceful productivity.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Apparently putting "destroying commies" under professional skills on a resume isn't a good idea.  Thank you technical writing class for teaching me so much knowledge!

On a side note some dred locked hippy wearing his underwear (wife beater and boxers) just walked in the public restroom without shoes on.  Ohhh college 

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:03 PM
If you ask me, thats idiotic. If I'm hiring people, someone who is skilled at destroying commies is preferred, no matter what the position.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

No, they're right. That goes on the cover letter.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:50 PM

I'd say it rather goes in the epitaph - "Wheylous the Commie Destroyer"

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:52 PM

The Ron Swanson link is awesome.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 4:03 PM
Malachi Carruo Defero?
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Just watched Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead." Meh acting and meh dialogue, but a message that surpasses all of that.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 9:31 PM

Wow you mean the old black and white film?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Yep. At the courtroom scene I was saying in my mind "hells yeah!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

A NEW trilogy of Star Wars films have been announced, too.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

At least Mr. Plinkett will have some new review material.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:12 PM

Anyone else see that thread shutdown that just went down?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Yep, I was just about to make a thread about it.  Bad idea?

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

You mean the one about racism? Yeah. I don't see how it wasn't legit discussion, although it's true that if a visitor trying to learn about libertarianism were to stumble upon that, they'd be spooked.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:16 PM

It depends upon whether or not you really think that it was unjust and whether or not you're willing to fight over it, methinks. I think that the topic is rather... Flammable (Race-realism, not necessarily the thread you are thinking of making) , and I was frankly astounded that the conversation remained as civil as it did.

EDIT

I would message the mod before I would start a thread about it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Not entirely civil. Stcstocstocsoc and I had our discussion get a little heated.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Well my thread was going to be "Who deleted the thread?" I want to know who it was.  We were having an intellectual discussion without any flaming going on.  The last post in the thread was a link to a journal article on a university website.  What's unbelievable is that people like mustang19 can continously post inane threads and troll everyone, and yet the established members of this forum (which is so broken already) cannot engage in a proper discussion because it's politically incorrect. I'm pretty sure the top of the page says TU NE CEDE MALIS.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Whoever deleted the thread should post here and explain themselves.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:36 PM
He posted in the (now deleted) thread, admonishing the participants to discuss the topic elsewhere, implying that its not an appropriate topic for these forums. It was Daniel James Sanchez.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Thanks, Malachi.  I was editing my last post in that thread and so did not see his post.  Why would it be an inappropriate topic for these forums?  The topic is related both to politics and economics, the latter e.g. in a recent and well-known work by Gregory Clark (A Farewell to Alms), echoed in turn by Hans-Hermann Hoppe.  Also on that note, remember how Hoppe had to go through all that shit for saying that homosexual people have higher time-preference than heterosexual people ceteris paribus?  Is that an appropriate topic for discussion here or not?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 6:00 PM

"Also on that note, remember how Hoppe had to go through all that shit for saying that homosexual people have higher time-preference than heterosexual people ceteris paribus?"

LMAO did he actually say that? What was his reasoning?

Anyway, yeah go ahead and make the thread, I would like to know the reasoning, just be polite.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 6:01 PM
If youre discussing the Hoppe incident you referred to, I think that would be relevant, and by extension so would his comments themselves. However I also believe that if the thread took a bad turn they would delete it as well. Towards tne end of tne second page it seemed like people were getting into the actual "intelligence is different among races" bugaboo and I would probably delete it too, if I was tasked with maintaining the public image of the forums. Some ideas are taboo in this country, to the point where you cannot even discuss them. And there's a cost-benefit question here too. Whats the benefit to discovering that hey, such-and-such statistical relationship does hold true for 99% of subjects from X genetic pool! Youre just going to talk yourself right out of methodological individualism, so you wont learn much anyway. It would be like if the president figured out that tires made from silicone lasted ten times as long. As austrians we know that, as president, there is literally no good thing he could do with that information besides tell somebody. And tha wold be playing favorites. Likewise, as acting humans, I find it hard to believe that statistics that generally describe the performance of subjects on a test wold be helpful to me in making actual decisions.

aside from the rothbard link, and whatever other austrians were mentioned, I am not entirely convinced that the subject was germane to this forum.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

LMAO did he actually say that? What was his reasoning?

Well he was talking about how people plan beyond their lifetimes, and wish to pass things down to their descendents.  Thus those who do not have children would have a shorter time horizon and higher time-preference (not to mention that children are costly and saving is required to maintain them).  If he is correct on that and that homosexuals are much less likely to have children than heterosexuals, it follows that they have higher time-preference.

Anyway, yeah go ahead and make the thread, I would like to know the reasoning, just be polite.

I wasn't proposing to make a thread on the topic of Hoppe.  I was just wondering what's allowed or what's not.

I am not entirely convinced that the subject was germane to this forum.

Well I strongly disagree.  The topic is extremely important for all social sciences and humanities, and therefore it is an applicable topic on a forum about economics, history, and politics.  To paraphrase David Friedman, evolutionary theory is simply economics where the utility function is known.  They are related disciplines and in my posts I was showing how the conclusions were necessary a priori as in economics.

Some ideas are taboo in this country, to the point where you cannot even discuss them.

What, like anarchism?  Why can't we discuss them?  Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito.

Whats the benefit to discovering that hey, such-and-such statistical relationship does hold true for 99% of subjects from X genetic pool!

To be able to understand human societies more correctly.

Youre just going to talk yourself right out of methodological individualism

Not at all.  I was talking merely about what can be understood on average.  There can still be individuals from low average intelligence groups that have higher intelligence than individuals from high average intelligence groups.

I find it hard to believe that statistics that generally describe the performance of subjects on a test wold be helpful to me in making actual decisions.

We were discussing the topic as an academic question.  Why does it have to be helpful to you making actual decisions?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 6:23 PM

+1 Malachi

You've got to realize that there are plenty of AnCap forums out there. But this one is link from the frontpage of the LvMI website, which is for economic arguments mostly. Linking someone to the LvMI for an economic article and then having them stumbling onto a racially-controversial conversation, approved by the representatives of the LvMI is kind of a disaster. Do you really have to discuss it here?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Neodoxy

You have a Debate.org page?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Look, if there were several threads on the topic and it had been gone over many times, then I would agree with deleting that thread.  But can we really not even have one thread in which to discuss such an issue?  Is it really that scary?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 6:33 PM
Well I strongly disagree.  The topic is extremely important for all social sciences and humanities, and therefore it is an applicable topic on a forum about economics, history, and politics.  To paraphrase David Friedman, evolutionary theory is simply economics where the utility function is known.  They are related disciplines and in my posts I was showing how the conclusions were necessary a priori as in economics.
I'm not so sure it (the idea that "races" have measureable intelligence differentiation) is relevant to social sciences when social sciences are viewed through an austrian lens. I mean, I could see if the Sentinelese were really really smart, it would be relevant. But I've just never been exposed to anything like that that made any sort of sense, its just the usual generic misanthropic generalizations where editors tell me about groups acting.
What, like anarchism?  Why can't we discuss them?  Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito.
anarchism is borderline taboo but theres considerable benefit to discussion. Contrariwise, there is little to no benefit in, suppose, holocaust revisionism.
To be able to understand human societies more correctly.
all my mainstream objections come out now. Sample size is not generalizable to larger population. Tests are made by humans, they dont measure smarts but test taking abilities. Societies are best understood as individual humans. And so on.
Not at all.  I was talking merely about what can be understood on average.  There can still be individuals from low average intelligence groups that have higher intelligence than individuals from high average intelligence groups.
that fact has us talking about groups and averages when, in my opinion, we would be better served talking about indivduals and their demonstrated preferences, etcetera.
We were discussing the topic as an academic question.  Why does it have to be helpful to you making actual decisions?
it doesnt. Its a measure of benefit, which is useful when contemplating costly undertakings, such as a discussion on race and intelligence that may indeed cost considerable social capital.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

So it really just looks like the argument for deleting the thread is that it makes the people involved (including the webstie itself) look so bad that it must be shut down at all costs.  Well I hate to break it to you guys but you already look as bad as it can get.  The New Deal, regulation, minimum wage, and government spending saved the country.  So did entry into WWII.  If you disagree with those things you are already going to be called evil racists even if you aren't, so you really lose nothing discussing the topic of race.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 6:43 PM

@Skeptic

Yea but I haven't logged in in a year.

Why do you ask?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I just discovered the site, and I took a look at a user's account named "Laissez-Faire" and I saw that butterfly surrealist picture that you showed me on that thread where we were discussing my surrealist short film. Sure enough it was Keanu Reeves.

Page 7 of 8 (311 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS