Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Mises Community Blog Project

rated by 0 users
This post has 120 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 10:25 AM

What's the count right now?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Id pledge 1 a month.  I wouldnt want to contribute 2 a month as i am still new to AE and im a terrible writer.  I just dont feel i could give enough credit to a mises blog by doing 2.  Ive been looking for an avenue to express some of my thoughts, but in a productive manner.

I'd like the blog to have  an active editor(s) that would set a standard on blog posts to ensure the Austrian theory is properly represented and that posts are relatively well written.  Also for someone to bounce ideas off of.

Is there a good example of what the page will look like? and in blogs we can post pictures, graphs, and charts right?

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 12:50 PM

Id pledge 1 a month.  I wouldnt want to contribute 2 a month as i am still new to AE and im a terrible writer.  I just dont feel i could give enough credit to a mises blog by doing 2.  Ive been looking for an avenue to express some of my thoughts, but in a productive manner.

Not really foreseen, but suppose we'll take it. It'd be weird to turn away would-be contributors, but we won't count you toward the 15.

I'd like the blog to have an active editor(s) that would set a standard on blog posts to ensure the Austrian theory is properly represented and that posts are relatively well written.  Also for someone to bounce ideas off of.

At the beginning you can just pre-publish the potential post at our contributor's board and ask for comments and/or corrections. Then after a while you may nominate someone who has been giving you useful comments or good corrections on your stuff for the editor.

I'll be setting up the board shortly.

Is there a good example of what the page will look like?

Any way we want it to.

and in blogs we can post pictures, graphs, and charts right?

Of course.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 12:56 PM

What's the count right now?

8/15

Pledges (8):

• Marko
  • Wheylous
  • Neodoxy
  • Groucho
  • Andris Birkmanis
  • Aristippus
  • Merlin
  • grant.w.underwood

Expressed interest short of pledging (3):

• Daniel Muffinburg
  • Maynard
  • Bert
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 1:14 PM

We would need a place for internal discussion, a tiny forum of our own somewhere would be best I think, albeit a new Mises community group may be fine as well.

I'll be setting up the board shortly.

The board is here: mcb.boards.net  Please all pledges register here when you have the time, but preferably soon so that I may grant you staff status so that you may acess the private board, and so that you can grant staff status to other pledges yourself. Sign up with the same nick you have on here for now, so that you may be recognized, you will be able to change your display name later if you wish.

There are a few things about the blog it would not hurt to try to discuss right away. Such as will there be a guidance for how do we sign our posts, with nickname, full name, or combination of the two, or whatever? And does someone have particular ideas about the style/appearence of the forum? And probably other things that have not crossed my mind, but that you will think of and raise.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

screw it, i'll can do two.

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 2:20 PM

The way this sort of seems is that the regulars are going to have their own site to make posts while keeping up on the news/kicking around ideas here on the forum.

I wouldn't describe us as synonymous with regulars. It's just whoever forumites expressed willingness to give it a shot and contribute. If there is any distinguishing characteristic of the pledges so far at all it is a highly disproportionate share of east Europeans. (So Americans sign up, surely you don't want this to be the blog of unnatural, broken English!)

Also, can we rehash old posts on here and rewrite them for the new blog?  I think this would be a good way to save "old thoughts" on here and catalog them in a better manner (important posts that were substantial can become a blog post in itself).

I wrote something about this in the opening post:

I think the blog should scorn all word-for-word reposts, from either the participant's personal blogs or from the forum, but if participant bloggers further developed their points from the forum on the blog that would be great.

From this it would follow that just a rehash would fall short of the bar. It would have to be an upgrade, a further development of a forum post, even if just a small one. I think it makes sense, the blog post has to offer something even to people who already read you on the forum, or else why should they bother adding another bookmark to their browser?

But again this is just my thinking, I don't want to be impersonating the big bwana here, I encourage everyone else to speak their mind too on what they think makes the most sense.

Err, like something that's just not in lines with the format, conspiracy theories, or something like Clayton's posts on Blavatsky?

I don't know for sure, it's a judgement call, and I'd really love for input from other potential contributors here as well.

I guess as far as my thinking goes is that you want to be able to raise contentious issues, that is kind of the point, but there isn't a point to raising highly contentious issues that aren't obviously connected to libertarianism and Austrianism. We want to argue, even among ourselves, but not on tangential stuff. Maybe stay clear of the obvious ones, like the Israel/Palestine thing and 9/11 truth? For example I certainly intend to save my contemporary Balkans stuff for my personal site, I know what energy expenditure it may lead to and I don't need to bring that to the Mises Community Blog which is meant for different battles.

I'd be interested in contributing (keep things interesting), but I haven't even wrote a thought out post on politics/econ in some time, regardless I think I can add something of substantial content on something.

I hope I don't come off as a jerk here, but seeing you are a 'holocaust skeptic' (I believe that is the term you use) I would like other pledges to say (either here, or at our recently setup board) what they think about you potentially joining the project. Personally, I'm not jet decided, but I have serious misgivings. Who knows, a few of our younger contributors may go on to make something of themselves in the future, and when they become famous anarchist public intellectuals do they really need to have "ran a joint blog with a Holocaust denier" in their bio? I recall Joe Sobran wasn't invited to write for the American Conservative because he had given a speech at the IHR, because the people there didn't want any association with that, no matter how indirect, and that was freaking Joe Sobran man! And finally and most importantly, our goal is to have many productive contributors. If because you are one of the contributors we lose, or demoralize several other actual or potential writers then it's a net loss for the blog.

I don't want to put you on the spot here and I regret having to go all inquisition on you for your sincerely held opinion, but here is what it is. Maybe you can explain what 'holocaust skepticism' entails to help us make up our minds better, if you don't feel you've suffered an affront which wasn't my intention? (Also note the same goes for me, if somebody has misgivings about contributing to a joint blog with me on the account of any positions I take I'm happy, for the sake of the project, to bow out. It's why I have "Also consider that I withdraw my pledge if a small number of subsequent pledges should express their opinion it would be in the interest of the Mises Community Blog project if I were to do so." in my pledge.)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 2:21 PM

screw it, i'll can do two.

Of course you can! And if you find yourself in a bind, you can always digg up a link or excerpt of interest for us and equip it with a comment that says why is it noteable/what it shows.

I'll modify the count post.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 2:31 PM

I think that at this point he might say yes :P

Please feel free and encouraged to give your thoughts on stuff like that. The more people do the higher the chance we go in a good direction.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 2:33 PM

So when are we getting this show on the road?

Suppose you could set up a site with wordpress.com in advance if you know how, except we don't know what the name of the blog is going to be jet, and so can't be sure what subdomain we are going to go after?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:28 AM

Also now that there's this internal board, maybe any past members of the Community who have been banned from posting can go over there and make the pledge. I remember there's been one or two posters who have been banned, but whose posts I ejoyed reading on here. So on the off chance any banned old regular is reading this, you know what to do...

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 7,590

I do not like projects based on any presumption of who is paying for dinner.  I am not interested in contributing to any blog without equity recognition.  There is not enough information or discussion to pledge or express interest but I am interested in the idea if there is a goal involving profit regardless of whether it is ultimately a successful or failed venture.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 4:11 AM

There is no goal of making money on the joint blog. You can use the blog to raise your visibility as a writer and help you get readers for your own personal profit-motivated blog/site.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Bump.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Im in bro.

So what will be the website of the blog.

will we get admin priveleges with our own forum and everything?

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

I'm not sure where the blog will be posted (Marko's organising), but there is already a forum: http://mcb.boards.net/index.cgi

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

I'm willing to take the pledge. I prefer to lurk on the forums usually since I don't feel I can contribute much more to what has been said, but this seems like a fun project. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:57 PM

Kelvin and Michelangelo hop over to mcb.boards.net and register. We'd appreciate your take on a few things we're discussing.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 3:47 PM

10/15 pledges by my counting so far. At this rate we might just make it, or just not make it. Need 5 more in the last two weeks to get past the post.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:39 PM

Count me in. Pledged and pledged.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920

If you guys were more numerous (like 200 members) you could try the /b/ blogger scheme and make $50+ dollars a day

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

If you guys were more numerous (like 200 members)

You could decrease the number we lack by one person ;)

you could try the /b/ blogger scheme

Got a link?

make $50+ dollars a day

You mean, among 200 members? Does not sound like worth it?

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 4:07 AM

12/15 Pledges by my counting:

• Marko
  • Wheylous
  • Neodoxy
  • Groucho
  • Andris Birkmanis
  • Aristippus
  • Merlin
  • grant.w.underwood
  • Kelvin Silva
  • Michelangelo
  • Anenome
  • Maynard

Getting relatively optimistic about right now. But do hop over to the board new pledges (Kelvin, Michelangelo, Anenome), if you don't want some decisions to be taken without your input.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 4:30 AM

If you can take an old geezer who will go on and on about the Byzantine monetary system in the Dark Ages or the budgetary crisis in the Late Roman Empire count me in.

One caveat though: you need to explain to me how to access and use this blog. I have a little experience with Wordpress but I know next to nothing about other systems.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 781
Points 13,130

Count me in.

apiarius delendus est, ursus esuriens continendus est
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Hey, hey, do we have 14/15?

Any bets, who will seal the deal by joining as #15?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:12 AM

Birthday Pony, for sure.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:39 AM

Whatever happened to John James? I'm sure he would want to be involved.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:47 AM

I think he died. He told me that he didn't like 2 weeks ago but I don't believe him.

Either way, that $50 would certainly matter even if split among 200 people if all the money raised goes to a certain cause, such as donating to the Mises institute. You could make around $15k per year for the institute!

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:51 AM

Eh, what's this about $50 ?

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920

^ posted for laughs

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Umm. I happen to work in online ads business.

Some parts of the actions suggested in these posters look mildly uncool to me.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 3:40 PM

If you can take an old geezer who will go on and on about the Byzantine monetary system in the Dark Ages or the budgetary crisis in the Late Roman Empire count me in.

Sounds like a blast.

Welcome both.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

So, 1 more sucker poster?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

is it me or the community blog looks really dull./

we gotta give it an image overhaul and make it look nice first!

How bout a word press?

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Now that John James has dropped off the map, I'd advocate Neodoxy doing a blog.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:06 PM

It will be wordpress. I had thought it was going to be on the Mises.org blog as well, but this is apparently not the case.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

If i get a hard drive in hand, i migth be able to host a software.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:11 PM

@Skeptical Metal

I might start my own blog in about a year after I feel more qualified to write about stuff. Until then the world will have to suffice with reading my insightful musings through yon community blog.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Page 2 of 4 (121 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS