Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

'Entitlements'

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 1,255
greenbabe posted on Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:16 PM

People pay for these so called 'entitlements' out of their pockets. How could it be an entitlement if they pay for it!?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
2,679 Posts
Points 45,110

lol wut?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

If what you mean is that you can't just make money out of nowhere unless you print it, then that's correct. You've stumbled onto crowding out.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Points 645

You can observe a lot by just watching.

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 1,255

I'm saying that it's not entitled to want government services for what you PAID for. 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Idk, I find that breathing once in a while helps.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
24 Posts
Points 645

You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

Not everyone pays taxes for services that which government gives them. I for example do not pay taxes (perhaps merely sales tax), but i use roads, schools, and various things provided by government.

Same thing for welfare. Welfare recipient's money is taken from other people.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

I'm saying that it's not entitled to want government services for what you PAID for. 

Oh, certainly.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Actually, scratch that - it's the perfect definition of entitlement - you have a title to it.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
550 Posts
Points 8,575

Yes... that's why people call them entitlements... they're entitlements because they pay for it... hence they're entitled to the benefits...

Perhaps you're not aware, but entitlement is not the slur. Hand-out is the slur. Entitlement is the positive spin on 'social' programs.

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

Troll, what if i payed for part of the service, you use the service and pay for it as well. B

But i do not want to pay, and donot use that service. You use that service. Therefore in part, you are using part of my money.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 1,255

So you guys admit it. It's not an entitlement if you pay into it. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
2,679 Posts
Points 45,110

I admit the other, but not this or that.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
550 Posts
Points 8,575

Well, what is it then, if not an entitlement?

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS