Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Comparing inflation between countries and inside the eurozone

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 680
liberation posted on Mon, Oct 15 2012 12:24 PM

While German inflation is 2% (Germany is the engine of Europe)

http://www.global-rates.com/economic-indicators/inflation/consumer-prices/cpi/germany.aspx

More inflation data here:

http://www.global-rates.com/economic-indicators/inflation/inflation.aspx

(Not on the list) Maltese inflation is 4.4% and Cypriot inflation is 4.5%. How those inflation rates can be so differnet in the first place? It's a common market, there are no internat duties the only thing I can think of is that they have to keep raiesing the taxes year on year in Malta and Cyprus if we consider the same inflation rates persist over a perios of time.

Second example: Hungary which is not in the eurozoen has an inflation of 6.6%:

http://www.global-rates.com/economic-indicators/inflation/consumer-prices/cpi/hungary.aspx

How can it be so different from the core eurozone average of 2.6%?

The data suggest that the Hungarian forint gets devalued at a constant rate but if we look at the graph:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=EURHUF=X#symbol=;range=5y;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

it shows it has some ups and downs but it hes no downtrend it is flat in the long run.

Am I missing something?

www.stratfor.com/analysis/love-ones-own-and-importance-place www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100503_global_crisis_legitimacy www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KKN_jltI8 www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDQX3MybtVA batgap.com/ilona-ciunaite-elena-nezhinsky/

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Male
907 Posts
Points 14,795

Higher price inflation does not necessarily mean higher prices.

The regions with high price inflation may be in the process of catching up price-wise from bottom up.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 680

Thanks, I see!

www.stratfor.com/analysis/love-ones-own-and-importance-place www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100503_global_crisis_legitimacy www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KKN_jltI8 www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDQX3MybtVA batgap.com/ilona-ciunaite-elena-nezhinsky/
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 10:52 PM

I will go out on a limb here and say that most if not all of these inflation computations are just simply outright lies.  If you want the real inflation numbers then look at what inflation is: New money and credit not backed by savings.  So that would be the TMZ or true money supply or the excess reservers in the banking system.  Or look at the price of gold, how come that outpaces inflation?  The miners of the world are pulling gold out of the ground all of the time.

As for prices rising, it is not a matter of if prices will rise but of which prices and when.  In the short term where emotion rules it is possible to have all sorts of price changes some even negative.  In the long run however the trends are always higher and the rates are much higher than the inflation/price rise computations.

Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 680

> I will go out on a limb here and say that most if not all of these inflation computations are just simply outright lies.  If you want the real

> inflation numbers then look at what inflation is: New money and credit not backed by savings.  So that would be the TMZ or true money

> supply or the excess reservers in the banking system.

What is TMZ?

By the way I read somewhere that since the 2008 crisis the money supply in China tripled, in Europe doubled, in the US maybe got to 1.5 times as much as before. Maybe my numbers are not correct but they are in a similar ballpark. Is that correct or possible?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,113 Posts
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 10:43 AM

Varying rates of velocity and output. The EU is not truly and wholly economically integrated. The integration that defines that zone is arbitrary and forced (i.e., largely illusory). 

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Not Ranked
49 Posts
Points 680

> Varying rates of velocity and output.

What do you mean by Varying rates of velocity and output? Is it the TMZ I asked what it is? Thanks for clarifying.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS