Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Musings on pollution and education

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Sat, Dec 8 2012 8:24 AM

A few months ago, I realized that under free market education, it wouldn't be just children and parents looking for education, it would also be schools and other educational providers going around searching for clients. I don't remember why this was an important realization, but it was.

Recently, I was thinking about pollution, and this thought struck me:

Before the mid 1800s, individuals could successfully sue companies for property damage from pollution. Then, government stifled the lawsuits in the name of national production. Walter Block discusses the idea that if we were to remove environmental regulations and open up the courts once again, you would have specialized environmental forensics companies which investigate pollution claims.

The specific idea I had was as follows:

Just as the schools seek out the students, why couldn't these forensics companies seek out customers? They do the research on the pollution beforehand, find out who is being affected by a factory, and contact them and offer to sell them the evidence for some amount of money (or for a percent of the winnings).

Is this realistic?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

Just as the schools seek out the students, why couldn't these forensics companies seek out customers? They do the research on the pollution beforehand, find out who is being affected by a factory, and contact them and offer to sell them the evidence for some amount of money (or for a percent of the winnings).

Is this realistic?

Not in every case, but in general I'd say it is. Take my town for example. There's a Nestle factory here and every time it's about to rain, it smells like instant coffee outside. I have no idea its health effects. This would obviously attract some interest from research groups. The instant coffee thing affects the tri-town (:P) area and the source is clearly the instant coffee Nestle factory. Other examples where it could work would be around fracking areas and coal mines.

The cases in which I don't think it's very likely to occur is with minimal levels of pollution, or pollution that only affects a couple of people.

Or maybe competing firms will send their own pollution scientists out there. For example, Nestle's rival could hire some scientist to get to the bottom of the instant coffee rain problem. Then, Nestle's rival will seek restitution for the people in my area and maybe it will shut the Nestle plant down, at which time the rival firm can fill the void. Same for the fracking firm and the coal mine.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 69
Points 1,600

Personally, I'd call the smell of coffee when raining a positive externaility. Maybe I could petition Nestle to open a factory near me...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

It gets old fast. I thought all rainy days everywhere smelt like coffee when I was a kid. I didn't smell the actual smell before rain as it occurs in nature until I was like 16, haha. Let's not derail the thread with this, though.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS