Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why are we not moving to somalia?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 415 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
412 Posts
Points 8,630
fezwhatley posted on Sat, Oct 4 2008 6:07 PM

if we want a stateless society, why dont a team of private investors and political refugees colonize Somalia

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

• | Post Points: 285

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:
But the point is that I love my country. Don't you?

I've traveled a wee bit.  I like my country, but in many ways, it is inferior to others I have been to.  I don't feel I particularly owe it anything in the way of allegiance or loyalty.

I could learn to love a free country, regardless of the climate or geography.  Being free is more important to me than acknowledging my history and the history of my ancestors with a particular state.

@all, I second the Liberty Colony idea.  It's possible that an exodus may at one point be the only option left to us.  The world is certainly not getting less statist.  Things are moving in the wrong direction, and while choosing to stand and fight might be honourable, it's wise to pick the battles you can win.  If you can't beat the state, then change the game.  Plus the entrepreneurial opportunities for a Liberty Colony could be tremendous.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 70

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390

You also want to force people to hold your insane religious beliefs.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
183 Posts
Points 3,750

I'm not religious.

Go Away.

Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390

You believe you have the right to kill your son.

Top 500 Contributor
183 Posts
Points 3,750

Looks as if it's stuffed with straw...however...continue.

Why would I want to kill my hypothetical son?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390

You know, to avoid his birth.

Top 500 Contributor
183 Posts
Points 3,750

If my wife was raped and did not want to keep the foetus inside her I would have no problem with her having it removed.

I would not kill it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Don't mind him, that's his M.O.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 200 Contributor
396 Posts
Points 5,565

i have wondered about this issue.

one particular area i have thought about is water distirbution.

i know an earlier reference to a mall getting water was made but in my area i believe that the mallgets its water from the city/army corps of engs resivoir via underground pipes that cross many properties owned by many different people.

the city i think has a policy of limited or no wells allowed in yard properties.  which to me seems wrong.  but i need to check on that.  it was something i9 was told some years ago.

if i also remember correctly a nearby govt comm college had its own self contained water treatement station that was privately monitored....fresh water was still provided by the municipality.  but i am not completely sure.

i at first wondered how a  'city' or a densly populated area can get water without the state running pipes across various owned properties... say a property owner didnt want pipes running underneath their property.  

i thought..can ground water supplies be increased and stored to refill/inject aquifers (and recreation)  for drawing by individual wells....i havent been able to find credible info on that topic however.

certainly technology has long existed for the removal and conversion of human wastes into usable composts etc.

does anyone have in weblinks that could better describe a stateless water distribution system  with some digestible technical info?

thanks

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 25

fezwhatley:

GilesStratton:

Remind me again, why should we? In any case Somalia isn't Anarcho Capitalist really it's run by warlords and as far I know a number of groups are all fighting for control of whatever government the UN wishes to create.

Assuming you want to see the United States become stateless, how do you even expect the US to become stateless if you think Somalia can't become a viable stateless society?  There's no point in being a libertarian if you constantly are coming up with excuses to never fight for or postpone your ideology.

The main problem is that going to a foriegn country to promote your political ideology is likely to be viewed as an act of agression by the Somali's, as well as the rest of the world.

If we could get the money and resources however, I would be for distributing information on Free Market Anarchy there as well as setting up a DRO or two to sell protection to Somalis while employing almost exclusively Somalis to create jobs and bring order and try to end the warlords. We'd also want to allow Somali subscribers of the DRO a say in how it is run. This would make this a mostly-Somali-run system, and is therefore less likely to be viewed as aggression.

All in all, I think it is an interesting prospect, and, should I somehow be able to recieve the money, would be willing to try it!

The truth is that there is not enough of the right kind of freedom, the fundamental freedom to choose to be free or not to be free, according to one's preference.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
754 Posts
Points 11,800

liberty student:
@all, I second the Liberty Colony idea.  It's possible that an exodus may at one point be the only option left to us.  The world is certainly not getting less statist.  Things are moving in the wrong direction, and while choosing to stand and fight might be honourable, it's wise to pick the battles you can win.  If you can't beat the state, then change the game.  Plus the entrepreneurial opportunities for a Liberty Colony could be tremendous.

It would need to be a place with resources and a decent growing season, or rather very preferential...

It sounds like the ocean, smells like fresh mountain air, and tastes like the union of peanut butter and chocolate. ~Liberty Student

Top 150 Contributor
Male
754 Posts
Points 11,800

fezwhatley:

if we want a stateless society, why dont a team of private investors and political refugees colonize Somalia

Because of the resource issue, if you want a free society to thrive it should have a decent resource base, and I believe Somalia lacks in this department...

One should consider the possibility that there will be no outside market interaction for a while, so the society may want ot prepare to be self sustaining...

It sounds like the ocean, smells like fresh mountain air, and tastes like the union of peanut butter and chocolate. ~Liberty Student

Page 28 of 28 (416 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 | RSS