Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why are we not moving to somalia?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 415 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
412 Posts
Points 8,630
fezwhatley posted on Sat, Oct 4 2008 6:07 PM

if we want a stateless society, why dont a team of private investors and political refugees colonize Somalia

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

• | Post Points: 285

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:
But the point is that I love my country. Don't you?

I've traveled a wee bit.  I like my country, but in many ways, it is inferior to others I have been to.  I don't feel I particularly owe it anything in the way of allegiance or loyalty.

I could learn to love a free country, regardless of the climate or geography.  Being free is more important to me than acknowledging my history and the history of my ancestors with a particular state.

@all, I second the Liberty Colony idea.  It's possible that an exodus may at one point be the only option left to us.  The world is certainly not getting less statist.  Things are moving in the wrong direction, and while choosing to stand and fight might be honourable, it's wise to pick the battles you can win.  If you can't beat the state, then change the game.  Plus the entrepreneurial opportunities for a Liberty Colony could be tremendous.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 70

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
229 Posts
Points 3,055

Niccolò:

Except everyone recognizes that the cause of the current economic crises is capitalism.

Agreed.

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." -James Madison

"If government were efficient, it would cease to exist."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

Niccolò:

Except everyone recognizes that the cause of the current economic crises is capitalism.

Oh everyone? Really? That makes all the difference then.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Niccolò:

The cause of the current economic crisis is the state, not capitalism.

Niccolò:
I'm sure connies like you enjoy being the grumpy, old men who never got anything done though.

Connies like me enjoy being lectured to by internet kiddies who make up stories about being in jail, and in school, and protesting the DNC, and being big time agorists, while living off their parents.  We think it's funny.

Niccolò:
Btw. Capitalism = Fascism.

Most adults recognize that capitalism and fascism are two different things.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
1,037 Posts
Points 17,975

libertystudent,

I enjoy our conversations here.  But I think you let your blood pressure go up a little too much and for not good reason.  Don't let people get to you.  The problem with a lot of these very people you are against is that they exude anxiousness that makes conversation difficult.  Don't let them pull you in like that.  One of the problems with internet forums is allowing this to escalate.  It's not really worth it.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,083 Posts
Points 17,700

First.

Lol.

liberty student:

The cause of the current economic crisis is the state, not capitalism.

The state is implicit in capitalism. Capitalism is implicit in the state.

liberty student:

Connies like me...

Thank you for admitting to being a connie. Maybe you should change your name to "conservative" student, because liberty has nothing to do with what you're advocating.

liberty student:

Most adults recognize that capitalism and fascism are two different things.

Not really.

Most adults think of capitalism as "what we have here." Most adults think of fascism as "what Mussolini and Hitler had over there."

That's all they think about the two subjects - and the fact is that they are very similar.

The Origins of Capitalism

And for more periodic bloggings by moi,

Leftlibertarian.org

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,083 Posts
Points 17,700

Stranger:

Oh everyone? Really? That makes all the difference then.

Yes, it does. What do you think language is?

Leftlibertarian.org

Top 25 Contributor
3,011 Posts
Points 47,070

Niccolò:
That term needs to be destroyed. The sooner you guys give up the word capitalism the better.

And why's that?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

John, thanks for the advice, but my blood pressure doesn't get up over forum postings.

I enjoy our conversations as well.  Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

So it went from being the same, to similar.   Great.  At this rate, we should arrive at the truth by around 10:00 PM tonight.

Conservative Student is a good name.  I'm not ashamed of the fact that I am a social and fiscal conservative.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,083 Posts
Points 17,700

Knight_of_BAAWA:

Niccolò:
That term needs to be destroyed. The sooner you guys give up the word capitalism the better.

And why's that?

Because most people associate - and rightly so - the word with this,

and not this,

Leftlibertarian.org

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,083 Posts
Points 17,700

liberty student:

Conservative Student is a good name. 

And that's why you're still a grumpy old man with nothing to his name but a computer and some spare time. Confused

Leftlibertarian.org

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I have a couple computers.  I just got a Dell Mini 9.  The Mini 9 makes me happy.  So I'm a happy old (33) man with nothing to my name but a couple computers and a new laptop.  And some spare time.

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

Niccolò:

and not this,

That image is ridiculous and totally false. Let's hope capitalism is not associated with it.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,083 Posts
Points 17,700

Yeah, gotta keep them brown people down, eh?

Equality is teh evilzorz.

Leftlibertarian.org

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

Niccolò:

Yeah, gotta keep them brown people down, eh?

Equality is teh evilzorz.

I suppose if we don't agree that brown people are the same as children we are keeping them down. I expect that brown people would be offended by being equated with children.

Page 4 of 28 (416 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS