Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What is the libertarian view on homeschooling?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 8,630
fezwhatley Posted: Thu, Jan 15 2009 2:54 AM

The state of California has been in the news regarding it's policy toward homeschooling, they might have finally banned it or whatever.  The first libertarian response to come to mind is, that's outrageous!  But in a free society, does the parent have the right to coerce the child into planning their academic future?  At what point can the child free himself from his parents coersion and decide what they say is not what is best for him/her, what are the ramifications of this if lets say a minor kills someone etc?

I'm sort of new to libertarian theories on paternalism, and perhaps someone has a simple consise response to this..perhaps links, to articles books, PDFs?

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 210

The child can become completely independent whenever he wants by leaving, therefore demonstrating his full self-ownership. http://mises.org/rothbard/ethics/fourteen.asp

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 250

Well... I'm not smart enough to resolve this in perfection. All I can say is that no one has the RIGHT to an education in the first place. How could they?

The state has totally eclipsed this issue. I spent years in the same "MC" (mental case) class room because I had a "learning disability". I could not advance through the system, according to the rules.

I was fortunate that the teacher I had was a hard ass who recognized the solution. Drill that kid until he learns enough to get by. Give him the tools to survive. I went from being unable to read, to having a grade 12 reading level in junior high, and I STILL cant spell. What is the explanation for that?

The system has nothing to do with it. It's the teacher.

Parents can spend as much as they choose, for as long as they chose. That's there choice. Some parents feel obligated to finance there kids through collage. Grate.

Public education is a crap shoot. I see no reason to restrict privet education. It's a GIFT either way. Parents are willing. Why mandate it?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 57
Points 1,350

I don't think that the state should attempt to educate, control the education of, or "fund"(meaning, tax people and throw part of the money at) the education of America. Quite obviously, not only is it not their responsibility, and by trying to make it such they infringe on others, but they do a very piss-poor job of it.

As far as what "power" the parents have, I suppose they don't once the child is independent, but until then, I think it's up to them, at least it's up to them where their funding goes. If the child wants to go to a certain school, but on his/her parents money, I think it would then be up to the parents. If the parents would rather home school, because they think that there is better curriculum available to them than they teach at this particular school, or whatever reason, then I suppose the child will either homeschool or come up with his own funding.

[possible rant ahead]

I've been homeschooled since fairly early, some time in elementary school was when I was taken out of "the system." I can't imagine where I'd be if my parents hadn't! If there's one thing I'm glad my parents did, it was take me out of public school. I've started taking some college classes now, and wow, what a difference. I honestly cannot imagine where I'd be if I was pounded with that propaganda crap day in and day out.

Take this one particular computer class I took... Do you know what I remember the class by? The main thing I remember the class by is that they managed to ingrain idiotic propaganda right down into a COMPUTER CLASS. They're supposed to be teaching me how to use Powerpoint, but instead, they're lying to me and telling me about how important my credit score is, and telling me that for me to be able to buy anything that I want or need I will have to go into debt and create a good credit score! How absurd is that?!?!?! And that's just one example. Needless to say, I hated that class, and after that class, I've decided that I will NOT pursue a traditional college degree. I want an education, not a degree, and I wont take any classes that I don't agree with the teaching of just to qualify for said degree.

Righteous government, or the righteous lack thereof, is not the producer of a righteous society, it is the product of one.

You can't have my guns, but I'd be glad to give you my bullets...

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 341
Points 6,375
sirmonty replied on Fri, Jan 16 2009 10:47 AM

thepaintballer45:

I don't think that the state should attempt to educate, control the education of, or "fund"(meaning, tax people and throw part of the money at) the education of America. Quite obviously, not only is it not their responsibility, and by trying to make it such they infringe on others, but they do a very piss-poor job of it.

As far as what "power" the parents have, I suppose they don't once the child is independent, but until then, I think it's up to them, at least it's up to them where their funding goes. If the child wants to go to a certain school, but on his/her parents money, I think it would then be up to the parents. If the parents would rather home school, because they think that there is better curriculum available to them than they teach at this particular school, or whatever reason, then I suppose the child will either homeschool or come up with his own funding.

[possible rant ahead]

I've been homeschooled since fairly early, some time in elementary school was when I was taken out of "the system." I can't imagine where I'd be if my parents hadn't! If there's one thing I'm glad my parents did, it was take me out of public school. I've started taking some college classes now, and wow, what a difference. I honestly cannot imagine where I'd be if I was pounded with that propaganda crap day in and day out.

Take this one particular computer class I took... Do you know what I remember the class by? The main thing I remember the class by is that they managed to ingrain idiotic propaganda right down into a COMPUTER CLASS. They're supposed to be teaching me how to use Powerpoint, but instead, they're lying to me and telling me about how important my credit score is, and telling me that for me to be able to buy anything that I want or need I will have to go into debt and create a good credit score! How absurd is that?!?!?! And that's just one example. Needless to say, I hated that class, and after that class, I've decided that I will NOT pursue a traditional college degree. I want an education, not a degree, and I wont take any classes that I don't agree with the teaching of just to qualify for said degree.

While it is certainly your choice to not pursue such an education, I think the fact that you recognize the crap being thrown at you in such an institution gives you a head up on the rest of the people there.  You don't have to agree with something 100% to benefit from it.  There is some degree of useful knowledge available at said colleges.  Just ignore the BS and take the useful bits.  That's what I do, and as silly as it may seem to you to have a piece of paper that says you accomplished x degree, it isn't as silly to future employers.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 341
Points 6,375
sirmonty replied on Fri, Jan 16 2009 12:30 PM

Byzantine:

sirmonty:
That's what I do, and as silly as it may seem to you to have a piece of paper that says you accomplished x degree, it isn't as silly to future employers.

That is changing, as more and more people decide that going $50K or more into debt for a degree that qualifies you to pontificate on social justice at Starbucks is a loser's bet.  More and more folks are getting degrees at places like Phoenix or taking evening Exec MBA programs.  The bloated, archaic state U.'s are going to start losing students, my prediction.  Unless you're in the hard sciences, engineering or business, the degrees are largely unmarketable.

True.

I was just pointing out that there is still some value to going to such places, as even though the indoctrination level may be garbage, there is still knowledge to be gained at such places and some value (most of the time) to that little degree to many employers.

Of course, I'm doing an engineering degree, so... 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS