Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is it ever a good idea to print money?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 287 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
163 Posts
Points 5,275
djussila posted on Sat, Jul 11 2009 5:34 PM

It would seem that using the printing press on currency always leads to trouble ( inflation, assault on savings ect ) , can you ever justify printing money?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,511 Posts
Points 31,955
Verified by ladyattis

Dustin S. Jussila:

It would seem that using the printing press on currency always leads to trouble ( inflation, assault on savings ect ) , can you ever justify printing money?

No.

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,511 Posts
Points 31,955
Verified by ladyattis

Dustin S. Jussila:

No.

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720

If you want to buy a new Mercedes or BMW.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Points 695
Suggested by ama gi

Sure, Monopoly is a fun game.

Top 200 Contributor
471 Posts
Points 9,105

Efficient banking

existence is elsewhere

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 10:00 PM
Efficient banking
LOL.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 10:21 PM

Wilmot of Rochester:

Efficient taxing

fyp

Top 200 Contributor
471 Posts
Points 9,105

Nielsio:

Wilmot of Rochester:

Efficient taxing

fyp

So money can only be printed by governments? 

(By the way, as a general aside to this concept, the tax often spoken of is a little misleading here. Seignorage levels in the US are actually only at about 1 to 2% of the actual federal budget). 

existence is elsewhere

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Only when your Monopoly set is missing money.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
2,959 Posts
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 12:08 AM

Dustin S. Jussila:

Yes, if the currency is being provided by the private sector and that is what people choose.

If tyrannical government (one that does not have consent of all the governed) is printing the money, then it is impossible to know, since they do not have any way to know what the market wants.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 12:38 AM
Yes, if the currency is being provided by the private sector and that is what people choose.
There's no way for 'people' to 'choose' inflation. There's no way for ALL holders of a currency to declare that they want the currency devalued.

The idea that ALL holders of a currency will ask for a 'free-market' devaluation is sheer nonsense since devaluation ultimately means that a group of people steal from another group of people. For instance, in the case of debtors, devaluation means they can cheat their creditors, but there's no way in hell for creditors in a free market to voluntarily submit to being cheated.

IOW the scam known as FRB, and other forms of 'fiduciary media', won't be able to compete with sound money.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

One shouldn't be against printing money, it is after all a free-market. I simply think that no will accept any unbacked paper.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 200 Contributor
471 Posts
Points 9,105

Juan:
There's no way for 'people' to 'choose' inflation. There's no way for ALL holders of a currency to declare that they want the currency devalued.

The idea that ALL holders of a currency will ask for a 'free-market' devaluation is sheer nonsense since devaluation ultimately means that a group of people steal from another group of people. For instance, in the case of debtors, devaluation means they can cheat their creditors, but there's no way in hell for creditors in a free market to voluntarily submit to being cheated.

IOW the scam known as FRB, and other forms of 'fiduciary media', won't be able to compete with sound money.

So... You're saying that if I were a pig farmer and decided to increase my production of hogs because the demand for hogs was high, I'd be doing something illegal because it would take away from the value of my hog farming neighbor's hogs? 

existence is elsewhere

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,113 Posts
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 4:52 AM

Wilmot of Rochester:
So... You're saying that if I were a pig farmer and decided to increase my production of hogs because the demand for hogs was high, I'd be doing something illegal because it would take away from the value of my hog farming neighbor's hogs? 

How the hell did you come to this conclusion? What he's saying is that the money he deposits in his bank, which he assumes is held by the bank, should not be used for a thousand different kinds of financial transactions. Transactions which deleverage the banks, cause trade cycles, and panics. He hopes that at any point in time he can simply go to the bank, get his money, without being told: "I'm sorry, we don't have your money at the moment." If the demand for my pizzas are great, I actually need more dough, cheese, toppings, ect. I can't just create cardboard pizzas and deliver them hoping that no one notices; unfortunately, money is fungible. Are you trolling or what?

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
2,959 Posts
Points 55,095

Esuric:
How the hell did you come to this conclusion?

Because money is just like any other commodity.  It has a supply/demand curve.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

• | Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 20 (288 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS