Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Actual Logical Proof of Natural Law

This post has 358 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Rooster:
An atheist cannot speculate on the existence of God? Or does that not count as part of your claim?

What I mean to say is an atheist cannot speculate on things like 'Is God good or evil?' without actually establishing the existence of God in the first place.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 7:14 PM

Anarchist Cain:

Then explain to me this because it seems like a common problem of yours. If individuals have no rights before this social contract...then what gives them rights after the contract?

Well, it seems like you answered your own question. Obviously the "contract" does it. The only problem with this "before" and "after" thinking is that there was never a "before" - man was a social animal long before he actually became human enough to think of "rights". At least that's if you believe archeological evidence.

There just ain't such a thing as a "natural law" - all prescriptive laws are set by humans. Live with it.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:
Obviously the "contract" does it. The only problem with this "before" and "after" thinking is that there was never a "before" - man was a social animal long before he actually became human enough to think of "rights". At least that's if you believe archeological evidence.

What authority does the 'contract' have to enable rights?

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 7:17 PM

Anarchist Cain:

What I mean to say is an atheist cannot speculate on things like 'Is God good or evil?' without actually establishing the existence of God in the first place.

Well, that's easy enough to get around: "Is God [as presented in Christian/Buddhist/Jewish, etc. tradition/scripture] good or evil?"

There just ain't such a thing as a "natural law" - all prescriptive laws are set by humans. Live with it.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:
Well, that's easy enough to get around: "Is God [as presented in Christian/Buddhist/Jewish, etc. tradition/scripture] good or evil?"

Actually no because to speculate on if God is good or evil is still presenting a deity therefore contradicting atheism.

Theologian: Is God good or evil?
Atheist: God does not exist in the first place. Therefore the question is invalid.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 7:24 PM

Anarchist Cain:

What authority does the 'contract' have to enable rights?

Whatever authority is prevalent in your group - in my case the fat cats in Washington/state capital/city hall and the even fatter corporate cats who pull their strings and keep a standing army of cops to keep people from sticking their noses out too far or breaking the rules.

If you need more proof that your rights are entirely social conventions, consider the fact that if you switch social groups, you're likely to be granted different rights and have different obligations imposed on you. If the rights were "natural" they would not change from place to place.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:
Whatever authority is prevalent in your group

If it is prevalent in the group then it is prevalent in the individual.

scyg:
If you need more proof that your rights are entirely social conventions, consider the fact that if you switch social groups, you're likely to be granted different rights and have different obligations imposed on you.

Actually they wouldn't. I would still expect the same rights as I retain now.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 7:30 PM

Anarchist Cain:

Actually no because to speculate on if God is good or evil is still presenting a deity therefore contradicting atheism.

Well, no. There is a big difference between discussing God as a supernatural deity and as a cultural phenomenon.  If I start discussing whether the Easter Bunny as presented in the media is good or evil, that doesn't mean I admit its existence outside the context of the media.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:
Well, no. There is a big difference between discussing God as a supernatural deity and as a cultural phenomenon. 

A cultural phenonmenon? Explain what you mean by this.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 7:36 PM

Anarchist Cain:

If it is prevalent in the group then it is prevalent in the individual.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you agree with everything the people in power in your community do?

Anarchist Cain:

Actually they wouldn't. I would still expect the same rights as I retain now.

Your expectations have nothing to do with it. For instance, if you moved to North Korea for some reason, your set of rights would be drastically reduced, like it or not.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 7:39 PM

Anarchist Cain:
A cultural phenonmenon? Explain what you mean by this.

Well, God exists as a character in a book, the Bible, and that's something atheists don't deny. They deny his existence outside that framework, as a supernatural deity. Acknowledging the existence of the former (i.e. the literary character) does not imply acceptance of the latter (i.e. the spiritual being).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

this is boring scyg, you are not talking about moral rights, you are talking about political or defacto rights.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:

Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you agree with everything the people in power in your community do?

It is impossible for a group to establish rights if the individuals themselves have no rights in the first place.

scyg:
Your expectations have nothing to do with it. For instance, if you moved to North Korea for some reason, your set of rights would be drastically reduced, like it or not.

That would not mean that natural rights are now nonexistent. It merely means that the government trangresses it to a greater degree.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:
Well, God exists as a character in a book, the Bible, and that's something atheists don't deny. They deny his existence outside that framework, as a supernatural deity. Acknowledging the existence of the former (i.e. the literary character) does not imply acceptance of the latter (i.e. the spiritual being).

There is a character in the bible given the title of God. However, debating the validating of the bible is different from debating the existence of God [ excluding those who think that the Bible is the word of God ]

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

nirgrahamUK:
this is boring scyg, you are not talking about moral rights, you are talking about political or defacto rights.

That's what I told him...Sleep

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 7:46 PM

nirgrahamUK:

That's because I deny the existence of a priori moral rights, at least until someone can set me straight. :-P

And I don't see what's boring about political rights in any case. Isn't this the political theory section of the forum?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:

That's because I deny the existence of a priori moral rights, at least until someone can set me straight. :-P

And I don't see what's boring about political rights in any case. Isn't this the political theory section of the forum?

http://libertariannation.org/a/f42l1.html#4.3

I think you should read the section: Objection One. You may find it a good read.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 7:54 PM

Anarchist Cain:
It is impossible for a group to establish rights if the individuals themselves have no rights in the first place.

Umm... just because you don't have the power to do so doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who do. They're the ones who make the rules. Did you notice how throughout history the little guys had exactly as many rights as their rulers allowed them to have? Power is spread a tad more evenly these days than under Genghis Khan or Stalin, but it's the power brokers who decide what happens. Currently it's in their interest to guarantee everyone some measure of economic entitlement. That's all.

Sorry if I can't share your romantic vision of inherent moral rights, but you haven't exactly produced any convincing arguments.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

scyg:

what is attractive about denying your own moral rights? even if you believe the truth of what you say, how is it benefiting you to
remove the moral restraints,( which play a part in keeping you safe), by talking your peers out of any semblance of moral belief?

(please note, i am not arguing here, these are questions prompted by my curiosity at what seems to be prima facie
counter-intuitive, though perhaps the morality denier can explain this mystery by explaining they internal psychology on
this matter , their subjective valuations that bring about this phenomoneon) 

it would seem 'clever' for a morality denier to keep their 'truth' a silent secret, neh?  (I am probably missing something)

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:
Umm... just because you don't have the power to do so doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who do.

So you concede that there are individuals who can establish rights? Thereby contradicting that rights come from a social contract.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:05 PM

Anarchist Cain:

I think you should read the section: Objection One. You may find it a good read.

Yes, I see your point. However, I'm not denying the existence of normative rights, just their "natural" quality. Example: personally I think everyone should have the right to free speech, to minimum interference in their affairs from the outside, and so on. However, I've known plenty of people who think people should have a right to guaranteed minimum income, to a free education, free healthcare, etc. All of these are normative rights in the sense that someone believes everyone should be endowed with them, but none of them could be called "natural", simply because there is no basis for them in nature. They differ from group to group, and even from individual to individual.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Anarchist Cain:

scyg:
Umm... just because you don't have the power to do so doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who do.

So you concede that there are individuals who can establish rights? Thereby contradicting that rights come from a social contract.

I'll wait while you work this one out.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:
However, I'm not denying the existence of normative rights, just their "natural" quality.

The basis of an unperverted human exchange is voluntary and non-violent in nature. Therefore that is natural.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,245
Rooster replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:10 PM

nirgrahamUK:

scyg:

what is attractive about denying your own moral rights? even if you believe the truth of what you say, how is it benefiting you to
remove the moral restraints,( which play a part in keeping you safe), by talking your peers out of any semblance of moral belief?

(please note, i am not arguing here, these are questions prompted by my curiosity at what seems to be prima facie
counter-intuitive, though perhaps the morality denier can explain this mystery by explaining they internal psychology on
this matter , their subjective valuations that bring about this phenomoneon) 

it would seem 'clever' for a morality denier to keep their 'truth' a silent secret, neh?  (I am probably missing something)

For the same reason that atheists deny the existence of God, even though God is a comforting notion and possibly helpful for social cooperation in some cases. Namely, the desire for truth.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:13 PM

nirgrahamUK:
if everyone in society wanted me dead because i was jewish and they were nazi's, i would not have a right to my life? because there was no 'consensus' that i have a right to my life presumably.....

If EVERYONE else was a Nazi, then you would have no de facto right and no legal right to life. You would have a normative right as long as you stayed alive and believed that you had the right to do so. Likely as not, in that situation it would not be enough.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

but god is not a comforting notion.  have you read the bible? that god is angry. or are we talking of a different god.?

furthermore god is not a notion that can comfort people who dont believe in him. so its dis-analogous to the morality question i asked. consider,  if other people believe in morality it would lead the disbeliever to receive benefits. (it would seem)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

scyg:
You would have a normative right as long as you stayed alive and believed that you had the right to do so.

this is vacuous, i would have a right to stay alive just as long as i thought that i did and actually stayed alive? 

aside:

whilst i disagree with you on your anti-moral realism stance, you are at least intellectually brave for coming out and declaring unpalatable truths. (.e. you find them true, and others find them unpalatable) 

still i have to say. i have rights. individuals have rights. criminals and 'the society at large' can go fuck themselves.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:25 PM

Anarchist Cain:

scyg:

From the link: "• Normative rights: the claims that ought to be respected and protected."

Aaaaaaand we're back to the extremely ambiguous word "ought." Why would a scholar interested in elaborating an argument that purports to make fine distinctions use a word like "ought" in a vital sense in a crucial part of the text and just leave it hanging there, completely undefined? I searched the whole article, and Long never once attempts to define - or even refine - the term ought. I find his lack of semantic disambiguation totally unacceptable, given how semantically detailed he gets elsewhere when he picks apart objections with a fine-tooth comb.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ought is atomic, irreducible, you cant define it, any more than you can define 'is'

can you define 'is' ?

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:29 PM

Anarchist Cain:

Well, if we're going to get into semantic arguments, then fine. It's a contract made with a group of people wielding power over you. As I've mentioned a number of times already, "society" is a shortcut for talking about groups of people. If we're talking about decision-making, that means "the group of people who have the power to make and enforce decisions". They're the ones who decided that you should not be stolen from or murdered without facing consequences. And since you want exactitude, they weren't thinking about you when they did it, but themselves and their ability to retain the power that they hold in the current social structure. That doesn't change the outcome, however - you have rights ONLY because others have decided that you should have them. Lucky for you they also had the power to enforce them, so they're not only normative, but de-facto and probably legal, too. But I still don't see how they would be "natural".

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

AJ:
Why would a scholar interested in elaborating an argument that purports to make fine distinctions use a word like "ought" in a vital sense in a crucial part of the text and just leave it hanging there, completely undefined?

longrob@auburn.edu

Ask him.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

scyg:
It's a contract made with a group of people wielding power over you.

Why do they have the power and not I?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,245
Rooster replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:34 PM

nirgrahamUK:

but god is not a comforting notion.  have you read the bible? that god is angry. or are we talking of a different god.?

furthermore god is not a notion that can comfort people who dont believe in him. so its dis-analogous to the morality question i asked. consider,  if other people believe in morality it would lead the disbeliever to receive benefits. (it would seem)

It is clearly true that believers find God to be comforting, regardless of the angry God in the bible.

It seems the morality question is analogous to me. Other people believing in God may lead the non-believer to receive benefits if they are for example non-violent (obviously not guaranteed, any more than it would be true for the case of objective morality). That is what we're talking about right -- objective morality -- not just any morality? Otherwise I misunderstood.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:34 PM

nirgrahamUK:

whilst i disagree with you on your anti-moral realism stance, you are at least intellectually brave for coming out and declaring unpalatable truths. (.e. you find them true, and others find them unpalatable) 

Well, I don't think you can change things reasonably if you don't recognize the actual state of things. Just because I find something true, doesn't mean I think it's palatable. I have my ideas of what should be, but that doesn't mean I'm going to kid myself about what is. However, I'm not trying to take away your ability to believe in whatever you want - that's entirely up to you, AFAIK.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:35 PM

Anarchist Cain:

AJ:
Why would a scholar interested in elaborating an argument that purports to make fine distinctions use a word like "ought" in a vital sense in a crucial part of the text and just leave it hanging there, completely undefined?

longrob@auburn.edu

Ask him.

I may well do that, but as long as we're talking here, how do you (and anyone else who agree with Long) define it?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

the ranks of libertarian moral nihilists seem to be on a rising trend, anyone else notice this and find it curious?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

AJ:

Anarchist Cain:

AJ:

longrob@auburn.edu

Ask him.

I may well do that, but as long as we're talking here, how do you (and anyone else who agree with Long) define it?

How do I define ought?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:39 PM

nirgrahamUK:

the ranks of libertarian moral nihilists seem to be on a rising trend, anyone else notice this and find it curious?

All that I notice is the incredibly ridiculous amount of strawmans that you and Anarchist Cain and Juan have created.

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,245
Rooster replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:39 PM

nirgrahamUK:

Does moral nihilism = denying objective morality? That doesn't follow.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 780
scyg replied on Fri, Aug 7 2009 8:41 PM

Anarchist Cain:
Why do they have the power and not I?

Because life's not fair, and because total equality is not achievable from a practical point of view. Doesn't mean you can't try to change things for the better, though. (Just thought I'd add that, seeing as I must be coming across as a complete downer).

Page 6 of 9 (359 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS