  • Shortening and Lengthening of the structure of production due to monetary manipulation - Real world examples

    I just finished reading Prices and Production by F.A Hayek. I am trying to come up with examples from economic history, or recent history, or even simple imaginary examples of the lengthening of the production process and the shortening of the production process that comes about due to the operation...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by praxe on Sun, Feb 28 2010
  • 100% reserve...where does new money come from?

    I have been in discussions with friends regarding 100% reserve banking and a commodity standard, and I was asked a question that seems simple but has me stumped. It's best to look at it in the form of a hypothetical situation: A country has a gold standard and practices %100 reserve banking (loan...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jonas on Mon, Oct 12 2009
  • Re: Questions About Free Market Money

    [quote user="limitgov"] Q1: In essence Bank of America has its own notes as does chase and now markets have to pay for the overhead in maintaining such a number of different currencies and prices of goods have to be constantly changed per the currency you hold as in buying a can of beans may...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Wanderer on Fri, Oct 9 2009
  • Healthy deflation

    Hello everyone I would like to ask about savings during deflation Lets assume there is 100% gold standard so that money supply is constant. if the GDP grows it means that prices must go down, for example -3% per year. some people may try to save some money in order to consume more in future. but the...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Balcerek on Tue, Jun 9 2009
  • Keynes's "Bankor" Global Currency

    I just read an article saying that it appears that China, and perhaps the other BRIC countries, is exploring (and actively moving toward) the idea of implementing Keynes Bankor global currency idea. Does anyone know anything about this proposal and its consequences? There is no mention of it on Wikipedia...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by arlibertylover on Fri, Apr 17 2009
  • another thread about malinvestment and the ABCT??

    in another thread containing discussion about malinvestment due to inflation...or perhaps more appropriately a beast called 'credit expansion' i mad ethese remarks...." "if..... 1000 ounces of gold existed and circulated as money in an economy for one year. six months later several...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by sthomper on Tue, Mar 31 2009
  • using gold to buy gold

    i am trying to learn about fiat currency inflation and gold inflation. i have read blog entries at mises.org site claiming gold production rates at about 3 percent per year.?? i assume, correct me if i am wrong here, that the gold is paid for with fiat currencies. would the inflationary characteristics...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by sthomper on Sun, Mar 29 2009
  • Re: The Actual Procedure of Creating Money

    "I know that for every $100 of deposits a bank can lend $900 on a 10% reserve ratio system," per this phrasing seems confusing to me. it would seem that it would be more correct to say that for every $100 of reserves in a bank the bank has lent out $900 of deposits.... based on a 10% reserve...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by sthomper on Mon, Mar 23 2009
  • m1 increases as relates to 'gold money' production and other

    http://www.economagic.com/em-cgi/charter.exe/fedstl/m1sl this link shows a chart that indicates that m1, since 1990, has about doubled. about a 5% increase per year. i understand m1 to be the AMB plus (as AMB, currency iow, makes its way through the banking system) 'fiduciary media'. many posts...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by sthomper on Wed, Mar 18 2009
  • Re: Can gold be used electronically for microlending?

    isnt everything at risk when you start having the 'government enforcers' do whatever it is they do? from garnished fractional reserve accounts to taking fairly purchased land in the mountains somewhere. it seems to me that the merits of gold money - and its electronic movement should be discussed...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by sthomper on Sun, Mar 1 2009
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >