Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • Should the US Government Create New Temporary Jobs with Borrowed money?

    I think that President Obama plans to borrow more US dollars back from the Foreigners that earned the US dollars manufacturing US consumable products and then provide temporary jobs for unemployed US citizens to construct "Pork Barrel" projects, or rake leaves, or dig a hole today and then...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Gerald Spencer on Mon, Feb 15 2010
  • Re: Savings and Loan

    The S&L crisis occurred because of bad deregulation. Under previous regulation, S&Ls were limited to loan on owner-occupied single-family residences and their deposits were insured by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation (FSLIC). In the 1980's, the S&Ls were permitted to...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by DougM on Tue, Dec 15 2009
  • How B.S. and Sophistry Rule

    It is truly amazing how our congress has been able to deflect the financial turmoil onto our banking and financial systems, when they are directly responsible for creating the turmoil. Their GSE's Freddie and Fannie; their created moral hazards of implied guarantees; their mindless regulatory schemes...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by donaldmrembertsr on Tue, Nov 17 2009
  • "Sound" banks?

    Had a question for anyone who could give a half-way descent answer to it - If the idea of sound money is growing, then why aren't there (to my knowledge) any "sound" banks or credit unions? What I mean by this is, at a minimum, is banks who hold the value of money equal to deposits? Or...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Nikhil Kumra on Wed, Oct 28 2009
  • How did I do in this debate?

    I think I've made what will be my final post on Economics at the Science Forums Network, as I'm increasingly under the impression that it is not worth any further time and effort, I've said what needs to be said... In any case I was wondering what you guys think of how well I performed in...
    Posted to General (Forum) by abskebabs on Thu, Oct 22 2009
  • Basic banking question

    I've spent considerable time and effort to try and understand precisely how banks can currently create money. One issue that arises--if banks have such a good deal, why doesn't everyone with a few million dollars to invest go out and start one? I would appreciate it if those with intimate knowledge...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by luftmensch on Sun, Oct 18 2009
  • Re: Questions About Free Market Money

    [quote user="limitgov"] Q1: In essence Bank of America has its own notes as does chase and now markets have to pay for the overhead in maintaining such a number of different currencies and prices of goods have to be constantly changed per the currency you hold as in buying a can of beans may...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Wanderer on Fri, Oct 9 2009
  • Elementary Econ. Questions

    I just finished the lecture course by Peter Klein and Joe Salerno, the Causal-Realist Approach to Economics, and the last lecture on banking and the business cycle was very fascinating. However, I was confused when Mr. Salerno said that the costs go up in the capital goods industry. Firstly, bank reserves...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Savannah Liston on Sat, Oct 3 2009
  • Re: Pro's and Con's of abolishing the Federal Reserve

    [quote user="TelfordUS"] But once those banks die, wouldn't others take its place? [/quote] Exactly. There is no reason not to abolish the Federal Reserve.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Wanderer on Thu, Aug 13 2009
  • Re: Fractional Reserve Banking

    [quote user="JackCuyler"] I tend to define insolvent as having a negative balance. Am I wrong? If not, it is impossible for a 100% reserve bank to become insolvent. If all deposits are simply stored, and all loans are made from real savings, as 100% reserve implies, the absolute worst possible...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Wade on Wed, Aug 5 2009
Page 3 of 8 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »