Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • US in debt more money than there is money in the world??

    So I was using the US debt clock to explain to someone our extreme debt problem: http://www.usdebtclock.org/ I t states that we have 114 trillion in unfunded liabilities alone. He responded that this must be "pure bull" because that is more money than the entire money in the world currently...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by unreal030 on Wed, May 25 2011
  • Effect of the US dollar no longer being an international currency

    Is anyone aware of any studies or estimates that have been made on the effect of those trillions of dollars around the world, coming back home to the US, in the event of the dollar no longer being the de fact international currency (say, if oil were to be priced in euros, etc.)? Does anyone have any...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by prr on Sat, May 7 2011
  • Re: Austrian Books on Free Trade?

    I am in the process of reading Not a Zero Sum Game, but I do have a confusion that maybe you or someone else can help explain. In the book, he makes the argument that "No matter what he produces, every exporter ends up with foreign currency as his final product." This confuses me. Essentially...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Fri, Apr 1 2011
  • Re: Is BitCoin the currency of the future?

    I've been reading the comments in this thread and am appalled by the level of ignorance and arrogance by anyone too scared to accept that a non-commodity backed currency could ever work. You all seem to forget that the sole purpose for money is to facilite exchange. One of the main reasosn you'd...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by rawfreedom on Tue, Mar 29 2011
  • Shorting the Dollar?

    So after reading Peter Schiff's "Crash Proof" i really want to start investing and hedge against inflation before the dollar collapses but being a student only working 5 hours a week, thousands of dollars in debt and not a lot of money to invest with. I was thinking about pulling out a...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by iPedrito on Sat, Jan 29 2011
  • Advantages of Fiat Currency?

    Hey Mises Community members, I'm back with another question. I've been trying to figure out why we have a fiat currency system. There is a ton of information on the 'net about the DISadvantages of fiat currency, but few resources that address its advantages. The best I've found so far...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by aelephant on Wed, Jan 12 2011
  • Re: Sound Money Leads To Stagnant Economy?

    It seems to me that nowadays, with the current economic situation, there is some "passion" for the gold standard as a solution to all problems the world is currently facing whether on international, national or even individual level. Taking into consideration the above mentioned points, let...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by limo on Sat, Nov 20 2010
  • Consequences of Monetary Reform?

    What are the political and economic consequences that will occur, nationally and internationally, if the United States tried to end it's fiat currency policy? Also/or: How likely is reform to occur considering the democratic nature of the United States?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by djussila on Sat, Oct 2 2010
  • Opening a swiss bank account or buying francs

    i have been planning a trip to switzerland for some time now, and it just occurred to me that it might be convenient (and a good idea financially) to convert some of my dollars to francs now, well before i actually go, being that it is a more stable currency. I'd like to know first, if it is possible...
    Posted to General (Forum) by prattleon on Wed, Jul 7 2010
  • What are the best books on money and credit??

    Due to the threat of inflation and taxation, I am wanting to know what exactly is Sound Money. I have been skimming through the Theory of Money and Credit, is this a book you would recommend? Also there is a book called Life, Inc. (which is just a simple pop science book) which introduced me to the concept...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by peachmat on Sun, May 16 2010
Page 2 of 7 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »