Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • Re: Questions regarding FED's interest rate mechanism

    Point taken. However I'm not debating the form and makeup of a state, or indeed the virtues of anarchism! What I'm curious about is whether or not the core economic issue is the violent enforcement of a monopoly on currency ( by the state ). Fine, get rid of the FED - let the state control money...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by fingolfin on Wed, May 21 2008
  • Re: Questions regarding FED's interest rate mechanism

    @ meambobbo Great post, just curious... So... perhaps what might be ideal is a completely open, free-market competition in actual currency? Gold, silver, paper money (backed 100% by X Y or Z) or e-gold, diamonds, vintage cheeses (joke!) or whatever the free-market innovates and finds most convenient...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by fingolfin on Wed, May 21 2008
  • Re: When can the fed print more money?

    [quote user="donmc"] Also, the main reason that the fed lowers rates is to increase borrowing and thus increase spending/consumption (to "stimulate the economy" in news fedspeak). [/quote] Note that this is a smokescreen put up by John Maynard Keynes in 1935, well after the Fed was...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by hjmaiere on Mon, Apr 14 2008
  • Swap Lines

    This is a new intiative by the FED: "These arrangements will now provide dollars in amounts of up to $30 billion and $6 billion to the ECB and the SNB respectively," the Fed said, extending the term of these swap lines through Sept. 30. Can someone elaborate on this for me? Will this make a...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by chalcedonite on Tue, Mar 11 2008
  • Re: Questions regarding FED's interest rate mechanism

    Good question. The New York Fed does not lend money to major securities dealers; it buys securities and pays for them with a check. These securities do not always have to be Treasuries. Last year, the Fed bought mortgage-backed securities. If the number of securities remained constant, there would indeed...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by DougM on Tue, Feb 5 2008
  • Re: The minimum wage

    > Without government intervention into the economy, can wages rise naturally? < Wages rise naturally after the floor is above subsistence. Disposable income is the key that allows labor to get specialized. As long as the vast majority of consumers have zero disposable income, there can be no healthy...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Arman on Tue, Jan 29 2008
  • Re: Monetary Policy and the loss of Manufacturing Jobs

    The part that you’re missing is the technical aspect of how the Federal Reserve creates money. This is understandable because critics often use the metaphor that the Fed is “printing’ money or “creating money out of thin air.” What actually happens is that the domestic trading desk at the New York Federal...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by DougM on Mon, Jan 14 2008
  • Re: A video on banking today

    Thanks for posting the link. I thought the video was interesting but I don't agree with a lot of what it says. Here are my main disagreements: -The author seems to think that a constantly growing money supply is necessary. -The film condemns all credit transactions where interest is charged, as opposed...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by John Stabbyman on Sat, Dec 8 2007
  • Re: help me design a self-study course in Austrian economics

    i have recently designed the following course for my own use: rigourous introductory study centers around rothbard's 'man, economy, and state', via robert murphy's accompanying study guide as an auxillary map, and with mises' 'human action', 'theory of money and credit'...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by misesstudent on Wed, Oct 31 2007
  • Question about inflation, fiat money, and the poor/middle class

    As I was educated in the Keynesian/inflationist school of economics, I have (until recently) always been a believer that moderate inflation is good for the economy, and inflation in general is generally favorable to borrowers. I have always believed in the Fed system because I thought it was better than...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jason Dean on Mon, Oct 22 2007
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2