Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • Fed contracting money supply creating Great Depression

    There is a fellow I often have political debates with at work, who is a progressive democrat fervently against the federal reserve because it's a "private bank" running the country. He believes in greenbacks, but is totally against the fed despite my efforts of explaining how greenbacks...
    Posted to History (Forum) by Greg on Mon, Mar 7 2011
  • What caused the housing boom/bust of the mid-1890s?

    I was reading Doug French's book about the housing collapse and came across the Shiller graph showing historical home values. I'm a self-taught student of economics and don't have the background that others might. I wanted to pick the brains of the Mises community on the housing spike/collapse...
    Posted to History (Forum) by ashleycsmith85 on Thu, Feb 10 2011
  • Re: Internet Bubble - Caused by Government?

    [quote] Was the famous internet tech bubble caused directly by government/central banking?[/quote] Yes. The question is which way it caused it. The Rothbardians think that it, and all other economic crises at all times with no effort to check the actual facts, was caused by the Federal Reserve inflating...
    Posted to General (Forum) by Kaz on Mon, Jan 3 2011
  • Re: Bernanke claims he is not printing money.

    Bernanke, however incompetent he seems to be regarding even some basic economic theory, is correct when he says: We’re not printing money. The amount of currency in circulation is not changing. The money supply is not changing in any significant way. – Ben Bernanke, 60 Minutes Interview,...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kaz on Thu, Dec 9 2010
  • The Triumphant Return of Hayek - Newsweek

    What??? I have only been studying this for a short while, but even I know this a gross misrepresentation - any comments? Hayek was associated with the Austrian school, ascendant in the 19th and early 20th centuries, which argued that the private sector should be left free to carry out the task of any...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Redmond on Mon, Nov 29 2010
  • QE2-dissing YouTube video has 1.7 million views and counting . . .

    http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY16CkS-k Very good news that people are seeing this. Funny video too.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by resist272727 on Fri, Nov 19 2010
  • Ron Paul on MSNBC

    Ron Paul on MSNBC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBdXMHlw3-U&feature=player_embedded Perhaps this reporter lady of MSNBC should learn more about Austrian economics, she is stubborn as a mule.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Elisa on Thu, Nov 18 2010
  • In Defense of Ben Bernanke - any comments?

    From yesterday's WSJ. ---------------------------------------------------------------- By ALAN S. BLINDER Ignorance is not bliss, especially when your economy is faltering and sound policies are badly needed. For months, we have witnessed the spectacle of people arguing that Keynes was wrong. Somehow...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Redmond on Tue, Nov 16 2010
  • 5 Myths About The Fed

    The Washington Post - November 12 th , 2010 By printing money, the Fed will create runaway inflation. The Nobel Prize-winning economist Milton Friedman issued a famous dictum nearly 50 years ago: "Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon." His belief has become widespread over...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by djussila on Sat, Nov 13 2010
  • Bernanke now simply asking Wall Street how much it wants - can someone explain what is going on here?

    The Federal Reserve asked bond dealers and investors for projections of central bank asset purchases over the next six months, along with the likely effect on yields, as it seeks to gauge the possible impact of new efforts to spur growth. The New York Fed survey, obtained by Bloomberg News, asks about...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Redmond on Thu, Oct 28 2010
Page 3 of 15 (144 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »