Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • Re: Democracy and civilization

    I'm highly skeptical of the idea that democracy is somehow inherently worse than other forms of government. While it's by no means perfect, if you look at democratic countries, the people generally tend to be freer (both socially and economically) than those that live in non-democratic countries...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Wanderer on Wed, Jul 29 2009
  • Re: What would you do with the EU?

    Secession is the only real hope. Maintain the free trade and common labor market, but get rid of the Euro and leave the political sphere. Losing your sovereignty to a national government is bad, but getting it lost to a multi-national government is even worse.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Wanderer on Thu, Jul 23 2009
  • Suppression of Dissenting Views

    Anybody seen this? It's a petition, being sent to NBC, to attempt to suppress the airing of a documentary on nationalized vs. private health care. It was posted by a friend on his FaceBook page. I posted the following comment in response: "You mean I could have circulated a petition to suppress...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Ronorama on Fri, May 29 2009
  • Re: Microsecession as a strategy and the prospects for a new Hanseatic League

    As you will find on the here mentionned links, the Hanseatic League's spirit has already been re-started in the city of Zwolle in the Netherlands, in 1980. You will find it at www.hanse.org The actual president is the Mayor of the city of Luebeck in Germany. Since 1980, you have in summer, Hanseatic...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Brandy-Hans on Sun, May 3 2009
  • Re: In defense of direct democracy.

    The problem with this is that democracy is just a way to make group decisions. This notion of direct democracy could apply to a family which decides all matters by vote (I do not advocate this), or a worker owned production facility (industrial or agricultural) that makes and approves its plans by vote...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by DASawyer on Sun, Apr 26 2009
  • The Spectacle of Democracy: A Review of Mencken's "Notes on Democracy"

    "I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing. [...] When the suckers are running well the spectacle is infinitely exhilarating." That pretty much sums up Mencken's view of democracy, an opinion that he supports through a 206-page treasure trove...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by RockyRaccoon on Sat, Apr 4 2009
  • Is our democracy turning into a pirate ship?

    http://dschere.blogspot.com/2009/02/is-our-democracy-turning-into-pirate.html This may sound like an over the top question, but Pirates of the colonial period, believe it or not, were democratic in that they voted for their Captains. Though they were criminals, lead by the likes of Edward Teach (aka...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by cloudslicer on Sat, Feb 21 2009
  • Lew Rockwell: The Left, the Right and the State

    http://www.lewrockwell.com/podcast/?p=episode&name=2009-02-08_098_the_left_the_right_and_the_state.mp3
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by liberty student on Mon, Feb 9 2009
  • isn't the Market just another form of Democracy?

    In the market: - the products that everyone buys are the products that will become cheaper. - the products the majority shuns are extremely hard to get. So isn't the market the absolute form of democracy? The decision about prices isn't determined by you, but emerges out of the prefference of...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Voievod on Tue, Feb 3 2009
  • A dead Republic to a USSA

    Well it's a department that is most revered in America, mostly hated, some give thanks to it, others despise it for it's strict police policies, but it invites fear into our society that had remain peaceful and prosperous for many years. And that department is none other than Homeland Security...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Jimmy on Sun, Jan 25 2009
Page 3 of 5 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >