Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • Do I Qualify for This Club?

    I am relatively new to this libertarian way of thinking and I have to say on the surface it is very appealing to me. One major question I have though which I haven't gotten a clear answer on is, "What place, if any, is there for the severely disabled in a libertarian nation"? I mean, I...
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by Chris on Tue, Sep 8 2009
  • Re: Oughtism and its Cure

    Veatch, as quoted by GAP, is strawmanning Hume. Veatch quotes the following passage by Hume: But can there be any difficulty in proving, that vice and virtue are not matters of fact,. . . Take any action allow'd to be vicious: Wilful murder, for instance. Examine it in all lights, and see if you...
    Posted to General (Forum) by Daniel James Sanchez on Thu, Aug 20 2009
  • The Redundancy of Long's Eudaimonism

    From another thread... [quote user="Laughing Man"]Ah yes but to use an example of Long. Let us theorize that you have ends for both Ice cream and fame and you are confronted with a choice between the two. You can either choose fame or choose ice cream. There must be a third 'aim' that...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Daniel James Sanchez on Tue, Aug 18 2009
  • Re: Heya! More Gordon

    [quote user="Laughing Man"] Por Que? [/quote] i think his view of happiness as the ultimate goal is not indicated by praxeology, all praxeology indicates is that within the framework of a particular given actor one aims at satisfaction. but such satisfaction is ontologically or materially distinct...
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by Alice on Tue, Aug 18 2009
  • Re: David Osterfeld on natural rights

    [quote user="Knight_of_BAAWA"] [quote user="Anarcho-Mercantilist"]The phrase "initiation of force" cannot be logically defined without circularity[/quote]Nonsense. Do try to grasp that words have definitions. [/quote] How do you conclude that "nuclear weapon production...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Luming Zhou on Mon, Aug 17 2009
  • Re: David Osterfeld on natural rights

    [quote user="Juan"][quote user="Brainpolice"]But to address the original question, I'm not exactly a utilitarian (in the sense of making use of a pleasure/pain principle or in the sense of trying to make morality metric).[/quote] By calling you a utilitarian, I meant that you...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Luming Zhou on Mon, Aug 17 2009
  • Re: David Osterfeld on natural rights

    [quote user="Knight_of_BAAWA"] [quote user="Brainpolice"]I don't advocate the Kantian Golden Rule and the universalizability test. In fact, I've blogged repeatedly on why I think that universality by itself is insufficient, and sometimes too rigid.[/quote]Question: if someone...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Luming Zhou on Mon, Aug 17 2009
  • Re: David Osterfeld on natural rights

    [quote user="Juan"]BP, Can your position be described as some variety of utilitarianism ? [/quote] The Kantian Golden Rule and the universalizability test function like 'utilitarianism' in the sense that they require one to imagine if it has positive and negative outcomes. For instance...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Luming Zhou on Sun, Aug 16 2009
  • Re: David Osterfeld on natural rights

    [quote user="nirgrahamUK"]circularity doesnt come into it when you are talking facts.[/quote] Alfred Korzybski (1933, pp. 429-432) will probably attribute the conflation of the 'mental self' with the 'physical self' as the confusion of orders of abstractions . Read pages 429...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Luming Zhou on Sat, Aug 15 2009
  • Re: How do natural rights theories cross the is/ought divide?

    [quote user="wilderness"] every time you respond you prove that life, liberty, and property is... good job [/quote] You're defending the status quo. Why should life, liberty, and property be maximized ?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Luming Zhou on Sat, Aug 8 2009
Page 3 of 7 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »