Showing related tags and posts for the Economics group. See all tags in the site
  • Ron Paul's Book 'End the Fed' Discussion

    Hello all. This is my first post at the Mises Forum. In the last few month I've taken interest in Austrian economics. I'm just about fininshed with Robert Murphy's Lessons for the Young Economists . I've read Murphy's Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jarrett Cooper on Sun, Jan 15 2012
  • Great Depression and monetary policy?

    Whenever discussing the Great Depression, it is always argued that high interest rates imposed during the Great Depression (Specifically 1931) worsened the Depression because investment was curtailed. This of course seems to run contrary with what an Austrian would argue. There was obviously credit inflation...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Sun, Aug 7 2011
  • Confusion about current inflation

    People say that rising prices are not as bad now because banks are not lending all the money. That makes sense, but they are still lending a ton, at least according to this graph. http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/TOTLL?cid=100 I am confused about why prices are not higher if there is still...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Tue, May 31 2011
  • Guy says money creates production out of thin air.

    I honestly could not believe my eyes when I read his post. I started to challenge him, and the converstation grew even more ridiculous. I have no idea how to respond anymore. I know what I want to say, I just can't say it right. Here is the conversation, with me and a poster who I will called "Keynes...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Fri, May 27 2011
  • Do Primary Dealers make a profit? Do we know how much?

    I am just curious if the Fed's Primary Dealers make a profit (which I assume they do). If we are certain that they do, are there numbers available that explain exactly how much they make from this exclusivity? Obviously the Primary Dealers would be the first to beneft from newly created money, and...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by whardwick on Tue, Apr 12 2011
  • Fed operations would revert to Congress?

    I tuned into Bob Brinker's AM show while doing my errands on Saturday and caught a spiel in which he denigrated the anti-central banking views of "a congressman," whom he refused to name but obviously meant Ron Paul, contending that monetary policy would revert to Congress in absence of...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Anonymous on Wed, May 12 2010
  • Advice about paying on a loan.

    I would like some financial advice from some people that understand inflation and how it effects personal debt. I know that the intent of this forum is not for people just looking for financial advice, but I think that discussion in this area would be beneficial to more than just me. I am a recent college...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by sritchie27 on Sun, Mar 14 2010
  • Graph: Inflation,The Federal Reserve 1913-00 and The Consumer Price Index

    Revealing graph of changes in the C.P.I. since the inception of the Federal Reserve System here.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by onebornfree on Wed, Sep 2 2009
  • Simple Inflation Question

    I've seen the charts which show how the Fed has pumped incredible amounts of money into the banks/economy/whatever. Given this, why are we not seeing price inflation? Is it because the banks are holding on to the money and not letting it all out? Additionally, assuming that the govt continues their...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Brutus 2.0 on Wed, Aug 19 2009
  • Quick Question on The Fed

    I just want to check if my understanding of the reserve requirement is accurate. When the Fed buys an asset from banks or government debt it creates however much money in the form of reserves. So the money supply should be potentially inflated by 10 times the Fed's purchase because of fractional...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Catskillgreenery on Thu, May 21 2009
Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next >