  • The Modern Day US Banking System

    I am trying to wrap my head around the current US banking system and it is very difficult. I have read books by Ron Paul, What has government done to our money by Rothbard, Economics in One Lesson by Hazlitt, and various other articles and books. But I cannot seem to find much literature specifically...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Sat, May 26 2012
  • Re: Fractional reserve banking

    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Richard of Howell on Mon, Feb 20 2012
  • Excess Reserves of Depository Institutions

    I saw that someone posted this link and chart recently - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/EXCRESNS . I’m almost through The Mystery Of Banking by Rothbard and am becoming very interested in what I think this chart is saying. Rothbard refers to banks that are “fully loaned up”...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JH2011 on Tue, Jan 17 2012
  • Re: On Malinvestment, How? and Why?

    Yes, that sounds right, I'd specifically say the price that is distorted, relative to all other prices, is the interest rate, which is affected immediately upon money creation. It takes time before other prices in the economy rise therefore giving the immediate illusion to the borrower that a project...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Andrew on Sat, Jan 7 2012
  • Does Fractional Reserve banking involve wealth transfer to borrowers?

    Fractional reserve banking is like counterfeiting, right? It effectively allows banks to print money, transferring wealth to themselves (and government) through the process of inflation. But since the people borrowing from the banks are early recipients of the newly printed money, they too would benefit...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MadMiser on Mon, Oct 31 2011
  • How fractional reserve banks loan money into existence

    I always have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of money creation through fractional reserve banking. I get the general idea, but I have a hard time re-articulating that idea to other people. I use comparisons to help me understand concepts, so I would like to know if this comparison is basically...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Mon, Sep 26 2011
  • Mickanomics - the book!

    Some of you may remember some extremely long battles I had on this forum a while back. I debated hard because I was determined to learn something in the process. I was researching a variety of heterodox economic ideas. In the end I was not a convert to AE, but certainly was influenced by it. The result...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by mickanomics on Thu, Jul 14 2011
  • Do Time Deposits create money?

    I have been looking around on this site for an answer to such a question, but I cannot a definite one. By time deposit I mean this: The depositor puts $100 in the bank, but cannot touch it for say 5 years. During that period, the bank loans out the $100. After 5 years, assuming the bank did not make...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Guy says money creates production out of thin air.

    I honestly could not believe my eyes when I read his post. I started to challenge him, and the converstation grew even more ridiculous. I have no idea how to respond anymore. I know what I want to say, I just can't say it right. Here is the conversation, with me and a poster who I will called "Keynes...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Fri, May 27 2011
  • Freegold and AE - Mises, Menger ,Hayek and more

    In " Return to Honest Money " ( http://fofoa.blogspot.com/2011/05/return-to-honest-money.html ), blogger FOFOA discusses the idea of Freegold in the context of some writings from prominet Austrian School economists, focusing on Mises, Menger, Hayek, and in particular Mises' ideas regression...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by J.R. on Thu, May 26 2011
Page 1 of 9 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »