Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • Re: Sound Money Leads To Stagnant Economy?

    Hmmm.. it is becoming interesting... Well, in regards to scarcity of gold, who said it should be gold.. or gold only? It could be several metals, gold, silver, platinum.... (anything else?) I can imagine several weight units of every metal (1 gm, 5 gm, 10 gm,... etc.) and free evaluation of each metal...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by limo on Sun, Dec 12 2010
  • Re: "The gold standard caused the Great Depression"

    What bothered me the most about this podcast was the core basis for Irwin's paper: " This conclusion is supported by two compelling observations: countries not on the gold standard managed to avoid the Great Depression almost entirely, while countries on the gold standard did not begin to recover...
    Posted to History (Forum) by Evan R on Sat, Nov 27 2010
  • Re: Sound Money Leads To Stagnant Economy?

    It seems to me that nowadays, with the current economic situation, there is some "passion" for the gold standard as a solution to all problems the world is currently facing whether on international, national or even individual level. Taking into consideration the above mentioned points, let...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by limo on Sat, Nov 20 2010
  • Sound Money Reading List?

    Hi all, I am looking for books to read on the subject of money to get an in depth understanding of it. Here is one question I am trying to understand. I have recently started reading Austrian Economics works. I just finished Rothbard's "What has Government Done to Our Money?" and it went...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by P. Lotor on Wed, Nov 10 2010
  • Uncle Sam’s Mysterious Hoard - from the Atlantic Monthly - Why don't we just sell all the gold in Ft. knox?

    The question of course is how much gold does the US Government have? Given that Ft. Knox has never been properly audited. What a great question - Why in the world would the US Government, currently the world's largest debtor, hold on to physical reserves of gold? (that it confiscated from private...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Redmond on Tue, Nov 2 2010
  • Precious Metals: The Path to Free Market Currency?

    I've done a bit of thinking on the subject, and have come to the conclusion that paper currency is unnecessary. Why do we need something called a "dollar" or a "peso" or a "euro". Why can't we simply trade precious metals in the form of coins or bars? They need not...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Chris on Sun, Jul 11 2010
  • Money market securities and futures contracts under a gold standard

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBI1fv8YrzU That's the 'How is Fiat Money Possible' lecture by Hoppe In the last 10 minutes he says something about money market securities and futures contracts not being possible under a gold standard. I don't know if he agreed or disagreed with it. Please...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Tue, Jun 29 2010
  • Gold Standard: Historical Presense

    Does anyone know of a book that explains the Gold Standard's role in history? Not just for the US, but around the world as well. I would like to read a book that shows how the Gold Standard was used around the world, and how its application affects the countries. Thanks, Ross
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by rosstaylor on Mon, Jun 21 2010
  • Understanding Stimulus Spending

    I understand the need for sound money. That hit me as clear as a punch on the nose, so there’s no need to go into that at all. What I want to do is understand why carefully targeted ‘stimulus spending’ is necessarily bad, both under a gold standard and under fiat money. I’m going...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mark on Sun, Apr 11 2010
  • Some Fundamentals of the Austrian View.

    Inquiry & Analysis. I am interested in a discussion of the foundations of the Austrian view- as the participants of this forum understand them. I have been reading in this area and I have a lot of material at my disposal; so I am not seeking links or suggested reading; I have fundamental questions...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by kalinz on Fri, Mar 19 2010
Page 3 of 9 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »