  • Re: Interest rate: deflation, inflation

    [quote user="Nielsio"] [quote user="z1235"] [quote user="Nielsio"]But would I always be able to demand an interest rate that at least covers the inflation rate?[/quote] You can demand any rate (and at any risk level) you want but there's no guarantee that the market...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by onebornfree on Mon, Mar 22 2010
  • What kind of inflation can we expect if the monetary world gets back to "normal"?

    Greetings, On my latest post on Debtor's Prison, I have set out to answer the very simple question of "What kind of inflation can we expect if the monetary machine returns to 'normal'?". It's quite a simple premise, and one that I think most can see eye to eye on, no matter...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MAAA on Thu, Mar 18 2010
  • Advice about paying on a loan.

    I would like some financial advice from some people that understand inflation and how it effects personal debt. I know that the intent of this forum is not for people just looking for financial advice, but I think that discussion in this area would be beneficial to more than just me. I am a recent college...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by sritchie27 on Sun, Mar 14 2010
  • Damage of Central Banking

    To what extent does central banking and the manipulation of interest rates affect the economy? Is it just the inflation that robs us 5% of savings every year or do they hurt us in other ways as well? In addition to that, do central banks do anything else other than create inflation? From what I've...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Wed, Feb 17 2010
  • When will Austrians start the heavy lifting?

    I am no scholar, I am Joe six pack, though I don’t drink. I have learned much from the Mises.org web site. Yet at this time of great crisis I feel as though most Austrians have been content to sit out of the current fight. With the exceptions of Ron Paul, Tom Woods and Peter Schiff where are the...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mike on Wed, Feb 10 2010
  • Would I be better off keeping my house?

    I foolishly bought a duplex at the height of the bubble about 5 years ago. it obviously has fallen in market value since my purchase. it is valued well below what i owe on it. fortunately, I have had little trouble renting out the upper unit while I occupied the lower. that have covered more than half...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by prattleon on Mon, Feb 8 2010
  • Questions about inflation...

    1. How can governments transfer inflation from one sector of the economy to another? I surmise this is what happened in the dotcom bubble where the Greenspan transferred the bubble into the housing market. How do they do this? 2. To whom is the wealth transferred in a condition of hyperinflation? If...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Mon, Jan 25 2010
  • Re: Non correspondence between CPI and money supply growth.

    There is also a counterfactual problem. If the money supply were to increase by 10% in one year, while the CPI remained at 0% the same time period, this does not necessarily mean a lack of correlation. For all we know, in an alternate history, if the money supply remained unchanged at 0%, the CPI would...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Think Blue on Sat, Jan 23 2010
  • Re: What do you think of mutualist Proudhon's conception of property?

    "Finally, his conception of property basically blows the point of saving so I find it wrong." As long as what you're saving is the product of labour then he thought it was fine to save it. You just shouldn't try to profit from those savings (either through rent, interest, dividends...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Charlie on Fri, Jan 8 2010
  • information about government wage and cpi data

    the bls website ( http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/servlet/SurveyOutputServlet ) showing average hourly wages for the year of 1999 says Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 1999 0.06 0.03 0.04 0.04 0.05 0.04 0.05 0.03 0.06 0.03 0.02 0.04 to me this would mean that if a wage was 5.00/hr at the beginnign...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by sthomper on Sat, Dec 5 2009
Page 7 of 17 (162 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »